Explosion

Longjohn

Just shook the house, no windows broke. I have no idea what it was, I looked outside and I don’t see any fire. My only guesses would be someone getting fireworks set up and they all exploded at once (not likely), one of the gas wells in the area exploded (again not likely or there would be fire), or a truck on the interstate exploded. I don’t hear any sirens. The state police barracks is only four miles away, they had to have heard it. :dontknow: if I find out anything owl post it here. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Just shook the house, no windows broke. I have no idea what it was, I looked outside and I don’t see any fire. My only guesses would be someone getting fireworks set up and they all exploded at once (not likely), one of the gas wells in the area exploded (again not likely or there would be fire), or a truck on the interstate exploded. I don’t hear any sirens. The state police barracks is only four miles away, they had to have heard it. :dontknow: if I find out anything owl post it here. 

It should not shake the house like that, LJ.   Either the person is setting it off in wrong area or something else happened.

There is a limited class of fireworks that's allowed by your municipality.  In Canada there is federal law on storage/handling of explosives, fireworks /import/export. Then to provincial and municipal law for different classes for fireworks  to be handled by sold and handled by general public.

(This is from working for Ontario provincial authority...we monitored fireworks damages and injuries.)

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

There is a limited class of fireworks that's allowed by your municipality. 

When I was a kid the only legal fireworks you could buy was sparklers but I think it’s wide open now. If you have the money they will sell you anything. The two biggest fireworks manufacturers in the country are less than thirty miles away. I used to live within a few miles of Zambelly fireworks. One of their bunkers where they stored fireworks exploded one time and that shook the house.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

When I was a kid the only legal fireworks you could buy was sparklers but I think it’s wide open now. If you have the money they will sell you anything. The two biggest fireworks manufacturers in the country are less than thirty miles away. I used to live within a few miles of Zambelly fireworks. One of their bunkers where they stored fireworks exploded one time and that shook the house.

Holy poop.... hard to believe to open the doors wider to sell any range of fireworks to the public.:blink:

On 12/31/2021 at 8:52 PM, shootingstar said:

Holy poop.... hard to believe to open the doors wider to sell any range of fireworks to the public.

They are expensive though. My son that was in the army likes to blow things up and when he was home on leave one time he spent hundreds of dollars on fireworks to blow up.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

This is the country of unlimited guns remember?  Pffft to a few more finger destroyers.

Since China invented fireworks and still manufactures alot of it plus celebrates by using them...it's part of the culture:  China makes most of the world’s fireworks—and bears most of the danger. (slate.com)   Below a 2020 incident in a fireworks manufacturing facility in China:

Huang was in a packing warehouse when, at 3 p.m., someone in the building next-door triggered an explosion by sweeping rice hulls off the floor. The hulls, highly combustible materials used to burst the cardboard shell of a firework and heave its colored stars into the air, are a key ingredient in making fireworks. Chinese safety regulations dictate careful disposal of leftover hulls, but that day they were swept away like harmless debris, the casual meeting of friction with flammables setting off the catastrophe.

50 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

LJ; From the above linked article:  

When many U.S. states relaxed consumer fireworks laws in the 1990s, demand ramped up and factories went into year-round production (in  China).

• Thank You 1

A video I made.  This happened a while back about 2 blocks from the house. Couple of guys making fireworks in a garage of a house they were renting.  The two guys were killed in the explosion.  Injured Injured several neighbors and blew out the windows of 112 surrounding houses. Blew up 2 of the houses next to them.  I heard the first explosion sounded like it dropped the ground underneath me. Then the second explosion and a third at 1:30 into the video.  People from Mexico just looking for a better life.  Totally destroyed somebody's house.  The victim's wife started a go fund me page in their their honor. WTH, what honor? They screwed a lot of people trying to make a few bucks. 

• Awesome 2

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

An awful "comedy".  Easily 45 minutes of junk that should have been cut out.

...you probably go to a performance of "Twelfth Night", and say the same thing as you're leaving the theater. It's a farce. Farce doesn't need to have a tight plot and an identifiable hero. :facepalm: