Official NFL Wild Card Weekend Thread

BuffJim

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I’m hearing Carroll will be retained in some other capacity but not Coach.

@Dottleshead how do you feel about this?  Carroll has been there for a while now…

I don't know.  He brought a lot of stability to the franchise.  I think folks around here forget the 80s and 90s when we really sucked and all our previous owners seemed to be in it to turn a profit and not really care about the product on the field.  This changed with the Allen's.  Jody Allen is not afraid to pull the trigger if she doesn't see progress over time and Pete seems to be slowly sliding rather than gaining.  The was the first year I began looking past the Pete era myself.  So I suppose I was leaning towards a change.  As for staying on, I have no idea what the hell his role is. I think it just means he's on the payroll until he can find another coaching job because I think he wants to coach.  Well, I know he wants to coach.

I do not see hiring Harbaugh since he was the staunch enemy for years and he and Carroll don't get along if he's around though I suppose it'd be a good move to get Pete out of here.  I don't see them hiring Dan Quinn as some locals have suggested since he was an understudy of Carroll and it's basically more of the same.  The Tennessee guy could be interesting but not sure if that's what they are looking for.  Saban??  No way he comes here.  

Change is always hard -- especially if you didn't have a disastrous season -- so might as be now if you the organization wants to go a new way.  My concern is Jody did the same thing with the Portland Trailblazers when their head coach always got them in the playoffs but never got beyond the first round.  I'm not sure how that organization is doing since he was canned a few years ago but I don't think it's been nearly as good.  I'm afraid the same could happen here. It's kind of fun going to the playoffs.  I think there was a thread about this in this forum.  Would you rather be a perrenial playoff team that never wins the big one or would you rather be the one that had a golden horse that won the race every 25 years or so -- whenever rare golden horses show up -- and miss the playoffs mostly?  I guess I'd prefer to be in the former where you never know if you can 'click' at the right time.

Last thing I will say about Pete.  I was not a fan when he arrived but he spun my position around some time ago.  He can coach.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/8/2024 at 1:05 PM, BuffJim said:

Are Youpers loyal to the state, Lions, or land mass, Packers?

Yoopers are about 3/4 Packer fans. Probably because of land mass. It's a much quicker drive to GB. And back in the day going to GB was a pretty big deal what with it being such a big city and all! ☺️ And of course there's the history of the team that makes them appealing.

Yoopers love GB

I will say many of us are pretty happy for the Lions. 

The lower peninsula is much more of a Lions fan base.

(Be sure to hit the link. That song is from the early/mid 80's and is spot on)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, smudge said:

Yoopers are about 3/4 Packer fans. Probably because of land mass. It's a much quicker drive to GB. And back in the day going to GB was a pretty big deal what with it being such a big city and all! ☺️ And of course there's the history of the team that makes them appealing.

Yoopers love GB

I will say many of us are pretty happy for the Lions. 

The lower peninsula is much more of a Lions fan base.

(Be sure to hit the link. That song is from the early/mid 80's and is spot on)

I to think we gave up Toledo for this.

49 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I to think we gave up Toledo for this.

No, Toledo has always been a part of Ohio. You gave up a 10 mile strip along the southern border of Michigan. In return you got a swampy peninsula filled with deer, bear, coyotes, pine trees, farmers and loggers. What a deal!!!

• Haha 2

In a surprise to no one, Belichick is out in New England... if Brady's departure was the end of one era, this is another. :(

Obviously I wasn't happy with how the team played this year, or last year, but (as I might have said before) I felt like after six Super Bowl titles, he earned the right to coach the team for as long as he wanted.  But I also felt he would recognize when it was time, and, it's time.  I do hope someone else hires him and I hope he gets that last couple dozen wins to eclipse Shula (and aside from @Square Wheels, all the rest of you likely want anything but).  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

In a surprise to no one, Belichick is out in New England... if Brady's departure was the end of one era, this is another. :(

Obviously I wasn't happy with how the team played this year, or last year, but (as I might have said before) I felt like after six Super Bowl titles, he earned the right to coach the team for as long as he wanted.  But I also felt he would recognize when it was time, and, it's time.  I do hope someone else hires him and I hope he gets that last couple dozen wins to eclipse Shula (and aside from @Square Wheels, all the rest of you likely want anything but).  

I think if Belicheck had won with multiple QB’s you could make a greater case that he coaches as long as he wants.   It’s looking more & more that it was Brady that made Belicheck and not the other way around although likely it was a pairing that matched well. 

I don’t know Belicheck’s record without Brady but was he even a 500 coach without him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

No, Toledo has always been a part of Ohio. You gave up a 10 mile strip along the southern border of Michigan. In return you got a swampy peninsula filled with deer, bear, coyotes, pine trees, farmers and loggers. What a deal!!!

There you go letting facts get in the way again.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I'd like to see him break the record.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

don’t know Belicheck’s record without Brady but was he even a 500 coach without him?

83-104.  29-39 since Brady left for Tampa

219-64 with Brady

Of course, you have to account for the years with Brady AND cheating.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I think if Belicheck had won with multiple QB’s you could make a greater case that he coaches as long as he wants.   It’s looking more & more that it was Brady that made Belicheck and not the other way around although likely it was a pairing that matched well. 

In Cleveland, everyone hated Belichick because of valid reasons, mostly that he made no effort to win the fans over to what he was doing, nor the media, and the players kind of turned off of him after a bit.  I think the players clearly understood the fans (rightly) concluding early on that he was a poor fit in Cleveland and had to go, and figured it was a matter of time with the media saying the same continually.

Anyway, he did produce an 11-5 record one year with Vinny Testaverde as his starting QB, so there is that.  He can coach, and likely would have made it to the SB a few times with a non-Brady QB.  Clearly it was a great pairing, though, but Brady is not the only reason Belichick won a bunch of games.

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, 12string said:

Idiots around here want to fir Sirianni and hire Belechick.

I thought they were crazy to get rid of Peterson.  This would be two in a row.  I really don't think Sirianni is their problem, but I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

83-104.  29-39 since Brady left for Tampa

219-64 with Brady

Of course, you have to account for the years with Brady AND cheating.

Thanks for the fact check.

34 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

In Cleveland, everyone hated Belichick because of valid reasons, mostly that he made no effort to win the fans over to what he was doing, nor the media, and the players kind of turned off of him after a bit.  I think the players clearly understood the fans (rightly) concluding early on that he was a poor fit in Cleveland and had to go, and figured it was a matter of time with the media saying the same continually.

Anyway, he did produce an 11-5 record one year with Vinny Testaverde as his starting QB, so there is that.  He can coach, and likely would have made it to the SB a few times with a non-Brady QB.  Clearly it was a great pairing, though, but Brady is not the only reason Belichick won a bunch of games.

I don’t know man, that’s not a great record without Brady….  My opinion is about as good as a pile of peso’s but Belicheck doesn’t seem so good without the GOAT behind center. 

51 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I thought they were crazy to get rid of Peterson.  This would be two in a row.  I really don't think Sirianni is their problem, but I don't know what is.

Peterson had run his course, and hasn't done much since.

Both corrdinators (all 3?) have to go, they're horrible.  But for an entire team to lose their minds - it's a head coach's job to keep them focused and motivated

What jerks the NFL and NBC are for putting the Dolphins - Chief's game 8:10 pm Sat, on Peacock only which that know only a very small percentage of NFL fans can watch unless the pay for Peacock just to see the few NFL games it carries.

ASSHOLES!

The other asshole, Peter Angelos who owns the Baltimore Orioles, took ALL the Orioles games off broadcast TV and now they're shown on MASN cable TV which Angelos owns.  He also stopped supplying current or former Orioles to little leagues opening day ceremonies.

Now attendance is down long-term despite ending 2023 in 1st place with only an avg. 23.9K and more Maryland kids are in soccer leagues than baseball leagues.

The NFL should learn from that example.

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

What jerks the NFL and NBC are for putting the Dolphins - Chief's game 8:10 pm Sat, on Peacock only which that know only a very small percentage of NFL fans can watch unless the pay for Peacock just to see the few NFL games it carries.

Sort of like putting it on ESPN, I guess. :dontknow:

NFL salaries are pretty high, so the $$$ needs to come from somewhere.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

ASSHOLES!

The other asshole, Peter Angelos who owns the Baltimore Orioles, took ALL the Orioles games off broadcast TV and now they're shown on MASN cable TV which Angelos owns.  He also stopped supplying current or former Orioles to little leagues opening day ceremonies.

Now attendance is down long-term despite ending 2023 in 1st place with only an avg. 23.9K and more Maryland kids are in soccer leagues than baseball leagues.

The NFL should learn from that example.

Just go down to a pub serving it. Or miss it. 

Mark Andrews, Ravens elite Tight End, returned to practice Friday!

Mark Andrews' return to practice on Friday was a welcome sight for the Ravens, as the Pro Bowl tight end opened his 21-day window to be moved to the 53-man roster.

Head Coach John Harbaugh did not offer a definitive timetable for when Andrews might return for the playoffs. The three-time Pro Bowl tight end missed the final six games of the regular season after suffering a major ankle injury Nov. 16 against the Bengals.

"I think we're on the same timetable that we were on," Harbaugh said. "We're in that range, but today was the first day. Mark Andrews did individual drills, that was it. So, we kind of ran it from there, and we'll get into next week and have a better idea."

Seeing Andrews back on the field was encouraging for his teammates and coaches.

"He's moving around, he looks good," All-Pro fullback Patrick Ricard said. "I think this was his first major surgery. We all know he's working incredibly hard. We're all just really proud of the work he's putting in. He wants to be out there with us every second he can. He's a guy who's a big leader on this team, a great teammate, great brother. For us to see him out there definitely boosts the morale."

You know Mick, this might be your year. But honestly most of us on the outside sorta expect you guys to choke.  I hope they win it for you.  I'm not sure I don't want them to win for me.  I'm just saying you've had a monkey on your back for some time now.  It's time your boys delivered.  It would seem this would be your best chance.

3 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I got the Browns and Chiefs winning tomorrow.  Miami is decimated on defense by injuries -- particularly their linebackers.  I think you have to sign a contract that says you're going to blow out a knee while playing.

I also think the bitter cold will wear them down.

Ravens RB Dalvin Cook, 4 straight 1000 yd seasons with the Vikings before getting stuck with the Jets.

image.png.acd2c9ffb8d5978db3146233a8ffb690.png

With Mark Andrews practicing and Dalvin Cook practicing, the Ravens aren't simply resting on their laurels during their playoff bye.

Dalvin Cook is almost sure to be moved to the Ravens team roster from the Practice Squad. Personally, I think Melvin Gordon, who was put on the roster when speed-demon RB Keaton Mitchell went down for the season with an ACL tear on Dec. 17th, is still plagued by fumbling - and was benched during the last, meaningless game, will either be moved to the Practice Squad or released.

Ravens Site: With scarce opportunities in New York, Dalvin Cook kept one eye on Baltimore this season. So when Cook was granted his release from the Jets to join a contender, he knew exactly where he wanted to go.

Cook told reporters Thursday that he had opportunities to join other teams last week, but coming to Baltimore was a "no-brainer."

"I've been watching them all year to be honest. I'm a fan of L, a fan of Zay Flowers, a fan of a bunch of guys on the team," Cook said.

"Plus, when you look at the film, you see holes that big [spreads hands wide]. You see the guys up front moving people. For me, it's always been electric getting behind a line like that. When the opportunity opened, I was ready to go."

Cook joins Gus Edwards, Justice Hill and Melvin Gordon III in the backfield, and Head Coach John Harbaugh made it clear Wednesday that Cook isn't just an insurance policy. Offensive Coordinator Todd Monken backed that up, saying they view Cook as a legitimate weapon in the playoffs.

That's what Cook, 28, was throughout his career in Minnesota, where he topped 1,000 rushing yards each of the previous four seasons. His 2023 regular season with the Jets was a challenge, however, as Cook got just 67 rushing opportunities and had 214 yards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Ravens RB Dalvin Cook, 4 straight 1000 yd seasons with the Vikings before getting stuck with the Jets.

image.png.acd2c9ffb8d5978db3146233a8ffb690.png

With Mark Andrews practicing and Dalvin Cook practicing, the Ravens aren't simply resting on their laurels during their playoff bye.

Dalvin Cook is almost sure to be moved to the Ravens team roster from the Practice Squad. Personally, I think Melvin Gordon, who was put on the roster when speed-demon RB Keaton Mitchell went down for the season with an ACL tear on Dec. 17th, is still plagued by fumbling - and was benched during the last, meaningless game, will either be moved to the Practice Squad or released.

Ravens Site: With scarce opportunities in New York, Dalvin Cook kept one eye on Baltimore this season. So when Cook was granted his release from the Jets to join a contender, he knew exactly where he wanted to go.

Cook told reporters Thursday that he had opportunities to join other teams last week, but coming to Baltimore was a "no-brainer."

"I've been watching them all year to be honest. I'm a fan of L, a fan of Zay Flowers, a fan of a bunch of guys on the team," Cook said.

"Plus, when you look at the film, you see holes that big [spreads hands wide]. You see the guys up front moving people. For me, it's always been electric getting behind a line like that. When the opportunity opened, I was ready to go."

Cook joins Gus Edwards, Justice Hill and Melvin Gordon III in the backfield, and Head Coach John Harbaugh made it clear Wednesday that Cook isn't just an insurance policy. Offensive Coordinator Todd Monken backed that up, saying they view Cook as a legitimate weapon in the playoffs.

That's what Cook, 28, was throughout his career in Minnesota, where he topped 1,000 rushing yards each of the previous four seasons. His 2023 regular season with the Jets was a challenge, however, as Cook got just 67 rushing opportunities and had 214 yards.

I don't care about your Ravens.  Well at least not this weekend.  Go Flacco!

Just now, BuffJim said:

You’re missing a potential retirement income stream.

Well, I learned my lesson early.  I bet the Seahawks once to cover and they won and I won $100.  Next year I go back (the game when Hasselback predicted we are going to score) and they lost by 6 on the pick and I lost $100.  I decided then to get out even and keep it that way.  Since then, I've tried my hand at several NFL Sunday pools only to finish like 60%.  Betting the NFL is insane.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Here's a what if.  The temp right now before game time is -21.  The passing game may never show up for either team.  Who has the better running offence?

Who has the better run stopping defense?  Chiefs win the slam dunk.  Even the Dolphins practice squad linebacker backups are out.

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Here's a what if.  The temp right now before game time is -21.  The passing game may never show up for either team.  Who has the better running offence?

16 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Who has the better run stopping defense?  Chiefs win the slam dunk.  Even the Dolphins practice squad linebacker backups are out.

The Chiefs have the number #2 run defense in 2023 season.  But Miami is #10 so that's damn close enough.  But I do have concern about Miami's linebacking crew.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:32 PM, Randomguy said:

They will, their team is not very good.  I hear their quarterback has a dent in his head that prevents him from thinking clearly, and that their fans smell like rotting seaweed and stale vomit.

And yet the Browns may manage to be eliminated days before the Steelers. Here’s hoping!

• Heart 1