How much $$ should I get for these?

smudge

I am NOT getting rid of all of HoSmudge's tools, but there are a few things I don't need. I have a guy coming over tonight to check out a few things. Any input on what is reasonable pricing on these things?

Router table....

IMG_20240205_065301743_copy_720x960.thumb.jpg.d9a466329f84daf9d97829be7a6ec962.jpg

Band saw and its stand...

IMG_20240205_065141743_copy_720x960.thumb.jpg.c0acf9ad69544e9777079074236ed764.jpg

IMG_20240205_065134687_copy_720x960.thumb.jpg.a52a0a13b12d751ac544d3bd3b7a89b8.jpg

Drill press and its stand....

IMG_20240205_064848452_copy_720x960.thumb.jpg.85aeba27989ab285e9f7d35d4d56bb48.jpg

IMG_20240205_064821121_copy_720x960.thumb.jpg.aabe721c648cc610123565c089af70bc.jpg

Dovetail jig...

IMG_20240205_065453781_copy_1280x960_copy_1019x550.thumb.jpg.4630dc86069e8c0c823226736a20e397.jpg

Did you check prices on ebay? I know someone who collects certain China and she said she does an image search to find other listings and info - not sure if that works for equipment

I have no input on fair pricing, but usually the way I do it is a few steps -

1) how much do I actually want to hang onto it? Ie do I want space back or planning to move or tripping over it, etc..

2) how likely does the person buying it seem like they will USE it or NEED it.

3) do I need the money or it's just to get it out of the house/garage/basement/attic.

4) is the buyer nice or sort of creepy or whatever.

5) is the "interest" beyond a single buyer.

6) could I donate to a charity (high school woodshed?) and get both positive karma and a tax break.

• Heart 1

Whatever the guy offers? He’s looking for tools; you don’t need them. He’s essentially paying you to haul them away. And hopefully he’ll continue their use for craftsmanship and making life a little better for his people. 

• Heart 2

51 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Whatever the guy offers? He’s looking for tools; you don’t need them. He’s essentially paying you to haul them away. And hopefully he’ll continue their use for craftsmanship and making life a little better for his people. 

Nope. He's a tightwad. I'm not giving the stuff away. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

58 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Did you check prices on ebay? I know someone who collects certain China and she said she does an image search to find other listings and info - not sure if that works for equipment

I did a quick check with the drill press. Hard to find pricing for tools apparently.

3 minutes ago, smudge said:

I'm not giving the stuff away

Ya..I have no frame of reference. I give stuff away. Its value is in the use. When I don’t use things, I move them along to make space. For whatever price, and usually free. But the tightwad guy probably wants a deal, so best of luck figuring it out. 💞

• Heart 1

Can you find prices for new equivalent and discount based on condition, age, warranty?  Is there a handy person in town you could call and get a ballpark of what they'd pay for the stuff?

11 minutes ago, smudge said:

Nope. He's a tightwad. I'm not giving the stuff away. 

There's frugal and there's "tightwad".  If he's a friendly and frugal person, I'd work a deal.  Maybe he enjoys the "haggle". But tightwads are often just pests (to me) who lowball you and waste your time. If you know that he's gonna be picking with your time and energy, and basically aiming to take advantage of you, stick firm to a price above what he offers. 

• Heart 1

Just now, smudge said:

Now that's something I can work with . Thanks

And since he's a tight wad...  start with prices double the suggestions here.

He may pay it. New tools are expensive. 

If he complains your prices are too high, you can negotiate down a bit.

Just now, Bikeguy said:

And since he's a tight wad...  start with prices double the suggestions here.

He may pay it. New tools are expensive. 

If he complains your prices are too high, you can negotiate down a bit.

Exactly my plan. I just need a starting point. 

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Wheels prices give you some wiggle room to bargain.  Solid prices.  Mine are the bottom dollar take it or leave it pricing.

This is first look at selling some stuff. I'm not at bottom dollar desperation yet.  

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

Now that's something I can work with . Thanks.

You should also look around and see if there are extra router bits, band saw blades, etc sitting around you are not going to use and offer them to him as well, at an additional cost.

I would not sell drill bits, are you can always use those with your hand held drill, unless they have a big shaft that will not fit in the chuck of your handheld.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

He had some nice Craftsman stuff but tools sell for dimes on the dollar.  

In my market, the router and table would sell for $50.  The Band saw, $75-$100.  The drill press is underpowered but it will fetch $75. Hole saw and come-along, $10 each.  The bar clamp is an easy $10. $30 for all the dovetail jigs.

These are prices they will easily sell for.  Ask more.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

You should also look around and see if there are extra router bits, band saw blades, etc sitting around you are not going to use and offer them to him as well, at an additional cost.

I would not sell drill bits, are you can always use those with your hand held drill, unless they have a big shaft that will not fit in the chuck of your handheld.

Thanks for the reminder. I thought about it a few times. Good call.

And before you offer a price ask him what he thinks is fair.  

Maybe he offers more than th suggestions here. I doubt that.. 

At least you can see if he wants to take advantage of you before you suggest your price. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

He had some nice Craftsman stuff but tools sell for dimes on the dollar.  

In my market, the router and table would sell for $50.  The Band saw, $75-$100.  The drill press is underpowered but it will fetch $75. Hole saw and come-along, $10 each.  The bar clamp is an easy $10. $30 for all the dovetail jigs.

Oooh, no. That's just stuff that was in the pic. NOT getting the bar clamps. smudge works with wood now and again. 

Def not getting the come-along. You never know..... :) 

• Heart 2

When I moved I sold a ton of tools, a ton.  Some I gave away. 

I gave a lot to my brother-in-law. 

A guy bought my table saw, I threw in a few tools. 

Someone bought my router, I gave away the nice bits I had. 

I sold something (I can't remember what) to a guy, and he saw my 10+ year-old surround system that no one wanted.  I offered it for free, and he said no.  I finally talked him into taking it. 

I had a nice fiberglass ladder.  Much to my surprise it somehow had a crack.  I bought it new so no idea how it happened.  The potential buyer noticed it, and again, I talked him into taking it for free.

I didn't feel taken advantage of.  I felt good that the tools went to a home that would use them and I got a few bucks out of it.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Router table 15

Router table with router 50

Band saw 75

Drill press 75

Dovetail jig 50

These would be bargains, even used, since they're Craftsman tools from when Craftsman was elite.  But they are reasonable except the tables should add another $25 in my opinion: band saw with table $100, router with table $75, Drill Press with table $100.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

These would be bargains, even used, since they're Craftsman tools from when Craftsman was elite.  But they are reasonable except the tables should add another $25 in my opinion: band saw with table $100, router with table $75, Drill Press with table $100.

The tables definitely add value. I was thinking the same.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Router table 15

Router table with router 50

Band saw 75

Drill press 75

Dovetail jig 50

These prices are pretty fair.  They are home hobbyist grade tools, decent tools but not top of the line.  As for the stands, you can get them new at Harbor Freight for $37 so add 10 to 15 for each stand.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I had a nice fiberglass ladder.  Much to my surprise it somehow had a crack.  I bought it new so no idea how it happened.  The potential buyer noticed it, and again, I talked him into taking it for free.

Duck tape will fix that.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:37 PM, Kzoo said:

These prices are pretty fair.  They are home hobbyist grade tools, decent tools but not top of the line.  As for the stands, you can get them new at Harbor Freight for $37 so add 10 to 15 for each stand.

The tables were throw-in on those products during sales.  They are hobby grade as well. $10 each is a fair price.  Being careful you don't get stuck with them during the sale of course. 

On 2/5/2024 at 12:00 PM, MickinMD said:

Nah, used routers are cheap and the condition, while working is an unknown.  The drill press is a light duty hobby press.  It is under powered but $75 would be about top price.  Craftsman were great tools in the good old days.  I still have the first circular saw I ever bought and it was a Craftsman contractor grade.  That thing has outlasted and outperformed every Makita I owned and I owned about 30 of them.  Great tools at the high end but that isn't what these are.