How do you pack?

dinneR

I have a packing list and I work from that. If I'm flying, I'm relatively efficient with my packing but if I'm driving I bring way too much stuff

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

I try to roll all clothing into cylindrical or ball shapes and stuff them in my suitcase.

Since cruises no longer require suits to be worn at dinner, I no longer have to pack them, just a dress shirt, pants, and a tie.

I have by now gone on several 4-wk. cycling trips in Europe and U.S.-CAnada.

Down below is me , cycling through vineyard region of Burgundy, France.

I Had 2 back panniers and small front bag.  What you see strapped on top of bike rack is my bike bag for plane flights and also for packing up onto some train bike cars. I packed all my clothing, a foldable knapsack, 2nd pr. of running shoes, etc.  For 4-wk. European trip across 3 countries.  I don't bring my own travel coffee mug.  Not when doing hotel, b 'n bs.

cycling-grand-crus-route.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If you are going to pedal across three countries in four weeks Europe is the place to do it. That would be tough to do in North America.

We have lousy train service in North America. In Europe, the smarter way to see alot more is blending in train and cycling on several mini trips. We had Eurail train passes...which I recommend even if not cycling.  I was this type of trip for 2 separate different trips in Europe.

In Japan and Seoul, we took multiple high-speed trains over 4 wks. It was great. We didn't bring our bikes.

I fold my pants in half lengthwise and set them on the bed.  then I place a pair of underwear and socks on top and whatever shirt I will wear and I roll that up and set in my backpack.  Repeat as necessary.  Then all I have to do is reach in and grab a roll and I have a complete change of clothes.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I fold my pants in half lengthwise and set them on the bed.  then I place a pair of underwear and socks on top and whatever shirt I will wear and I roll that up and set in my backpack.  Repeat as necessary.  Then all I have to do is reach in and grab a roll and I have a complete change of clothes.

How do you account for the weather?

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How do you account for the weather?

I look at the forecast for where I am going and pack accordingly.  I pack layers if needed.  I add a fleece or thermal layer and I always have my rain gear in my pack, which makes an excellent top layer to block out wind. 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

For travel, my ratio of pants to shirts is 1:3 or 1:4.  Underwear and socks are single use items, but I'm happy packing two pairs of pants and several shirts and being fine with that for a week or two. 

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

For travel, my ratio of pants to shirts is 1:3 or 1:4.  Underwear and socks are single use items, but I'm happy packing two pairs of pants and several shirts and being fine with that for a week or two. 

I am glamping.  pants get dirty, but I have been known to wear the same pair for a few days.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

We have lousy train service in North America. In Europe, the smarter way to see alot more is blending in train and cycling on several mini trips. We had Eurail train passes...which I recommend even if not cycling.  I was this type of trip for 2 separate different trips in Europe.

In Japan and Seoul, we took multiple high-speed trains over 4 wks. It was great. We didn't bring our bikes.

Our friends are taking the Amtrak. Third year in a row. They love it. You can roll you bike on for $10. Not boxing needed like the airlines. We'll pick them up tomorrow morning and head to the desert.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Honestly, one has to hope he's plotted a route solely around local breweries/wineries/distilleries.  I gotta think that's top in his planning.

We will be lucky to find water. Our first trip we found a trickle in Last Chance Creek. I'm planning to carry 8-9 liters of water.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Our friends are taking the Amtrak. Third year in a row. They love it. You can roll you bike on for $10. Not boxing needed like the airlines. We'll pick them up tomorrow morning and head to the desert.

mmmm, desert!

Downhill Biker Cake | Bike cakes, Bicycle cake, Mountain bike cake

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On the bike summer weeks: no socks, no underwear, clean bike shorts and jersey for each day, one set of frog togs in case we have a horrible week of rain and storms, one pair of bike sandals worn not packed, sleeping bag, mat, and tent.

if I’m on a supported ride where they truck our shit from each campsite to the next  all bets are off. I pack way more stuff than I need.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, dinneR said:

We used the Amtrak line service (Cascades, I believe is name) that's between Vancouver BC and downtown Seattle. Must have made 10 round trips over the yrs. We enjoyed the views and ride.  Of course, you must have passport. The fed. authorities do check on both sides.

What I meant, is that our NA train service is slow, given NA is a huge continent with alot of distances to cover efficiently.   But given the predominantly car-centric public in many NA cities..

Canada is building higher speed rail line between Toronto and Montreal. There is already VIA rail line service for decades which I've used about 5 different trips over the decades.  Does take one between downtown areas. I do recommend it but it's nearly a full day.