Food poisoning isn't as much fun as everyone says it is

Randomguy

Hmm , difficult question.  The best from a medical perspective is something that doesn't have a lot of symptoms or severe impact, but that doesn't give you a good excuse to skip work and other obligations. It's a delicate balance between symptoms and excuses.

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Hmm , difficult question.  The best from a medical perspective is something that doesn't have a lot of symptoms or severe impact, but that doesn't give you a good excuse to skip work and other obligations. It's a delicate balance between symptoms and excuses.

I think the ones that have a nifty and catchy tune associated with their drug treatment at least add a bit of brevity and joy as you hum (or sing) along!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Generally speaking, I prefer to get food poisioning in North America.  The public health rules here are stricter or at least food prep. 

Yep.  You are a lot less likely to get it but it can still be hideous.  I got it once from KFC and it was violent for 4 days.  Haven't been back to a KFC since. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Generally speaking, I prefer to get food poisioning in North America.  The public health rules here are stricter or at least food prep. 

I have only ever gotten real food poisoning from fresh produce.  I have eaten a few things that wanted out fast, but those episodes were over in a few hours.  Real food poisoning is the gift that keeps giving for several days.

WOChrisL got a severe case of food poisoning many years back.  My mom had to watch the kids overnight while I took her to the hospital.  She was so dehydrated from all of the vomiting & diarrhea that she needed IV’s.  

Strep is pretty gnarly, thank god I haven’t had that since my teen years.  My recent bout with Covid was the worse I have been sick ever.  2.5 weeks now since I got sick and I’m still not 100%

• Thank You 1

How often is it really FOOD POISONING and not simply a norovirus picked up when opening the door to the restaurant/restroom/car?

From what I can tell, a norovirus can be transmitted in so many ways (often in public) and since we all eat multiple meals, I sort of feel like food poisoning gets thew blame, and not the virus.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Last year there was that Jiff peanutbutter recall.  It was due to salmonella.  I felt pretty bad.  I'd drink some water then shit it out 15 minutes later.  It was almost clear. 

Colonoscopy prep?

A friend of mine had a cousin, 55 years old, who got food poisoning from eating a turkey sandwich in a restaurant that he had eaten many times before and had the turkey sandwich many times before.  He ended up in the hospital a few hours later, and died about 3 days later.  He was healthy, fit, an avid bike rider and skier.  It was incredibly sad.

I got food poisoning many years ago when I was in college from eating tunafish and mayo that had been in the fridge too long.  That was a rough night, but fortunately it was only one night.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

5 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Heat exhaustion can be fun from a “I’ve never felt so close to dying” and lived to tell about it angle. 

I have had soldiers in my squad go down with heat injuries, it’s no joke.  Fortunately I have always been really heat tolerant and avoided injury when others doing the exact same things in the exact same conditions dropped. 

I had mononucleosis one time. I had a terrible sore throat. I called and made a doctor appointment but they couldn’t get me in for a week. I went to work every day. The doctor ran tests and discovered I had mono, made me take a week off work. I rebuilt the engine in my van during that week.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I had mononucleosis one time. I had a terrible sore throat. I called and made a doctor appointment but they couldn’t get me in for a week. I went to work every day. The doctor ran tests and discovered I had mono, made me take a week off work. I rebuilt the engine in my van during that week.

You bastard!  I laid in bed in the college infirmiry and sweated my ass off!  I felt terrible!  I was SO happy when a nurse stopped in to change my soaked bedding! 

3 hours ago, Ralphie said:

You bastard!  I laid in bed in the college infirmiry and sweated my ass off!  I felt terrible!  I was SO happy when a nurse stopped in to change my soaked bedding! 

You guys got off easy.  I lost 25lbs (started at 150) and ended up in the hospital for a week from it.  I remember having two midterms in one day after having not being able to study from the mono, and going to ask my professors if I could reschedule (both said no).  While walking there in 40 degree rainy weather, I had to really fight to not lay down in the wet grass and nap, I was that fatigued.   My roommate called my parents and told them I wasn't well, they picked me up the next day and I was in the hospital the day after that getting round the clock IVs.

I had to drop all my classes that quarter.

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Ralphie said:

The girl that lived across the street from me missed six weeks of school when she had it. I didn’t get it from or give it to her

I guess it affects everyone different. It was the worst soar throat I ever had. I felt like I swallowed the hook and someone ripped it out.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It was the worst soar throat I ever had. I felt like I swallowed the hook and someone ripped it out.

Me too.  I remember the nurses demanding that I drink something, and I refused for a few days because it hurt so much.  Of course, I could have just been a wimp about the whole thing.