Where do you keep your important papers?

Randomguy

POLICEMAN:  And was there anything of value in the car?

DUDE:  Oh, yeah, uh... a tape deck, some Creedence tapes, and there was, uh.... my briefcase.

POLICEMAN:  .....In the briefcase?

DUDE:  Uh, uh, papers, um, just papers, you know, uh, my papers, business papers.

POLICEMAN:  And what do you do, sir?

DUDE:  I'm unemployed.

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Usually under a stack of unimportant papers.

I usually have a good idea where my important papers are, and will consolidate them into a single point of failure soon.  I figure I should get something fireproof and maybe lockable.  Not sure where to start with that, though.

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I usually have a good idea where my important papers are, and will consolidate them into a single point of failure soon.  I figure I should get something fireproof and maybe lockable.  Not sure where to start with that, though.

I have a single accordion folder (and I ain't even Polish) with a number of different slots.  One slot for titles (cars, boats, etc.) another for birth certificates, another for SS cards, a slot for each  bank or investment account statements (I keep the most recent and throw the previous one away...often I don't even open them since I look at them on-line at least weekly), a slot for stock certificates for my companies, a slot for important certificates like diplomas, a slot for miscellaneous things like kid finger prints (you know just in case).  And finally a slot for divorce decrees (this one is empty;)).  I took a mental tour through it as I was writing/editing this.  I think I covered it.

I keep it in a locked drawer in my desk.  I do have a floor safe, but I don't see any reason to put it in there.

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Important stuff like titles, insurance paperwork and wills in a safe deposit box.  Routine important stuff like Passports, safe deposit keys etc in a metal box.

Wills should not be kept in a safe deposit box.  If you pass the box can be secured until the estate goes to probate.  And where is the will?

4 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Wills should not be kept in a safe deposit box.  If you pass the box can be secured until the estate goes to probate.  And where is the will?

As a former executor of an estate, the safe deposit box is one of the first places that the courts allow opened to check for a will.