Should I replace my fitbit?

petitepedal

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I find it is a good reminder to move.  It is also a good tracker of resting heart rate, steps (although only approximate) and best of all, it vibrates when I get a text message or phone call.  I like it.  Well worth the 199 bucks I paid for it. 

Wait a minute. It's designed to track your steps, but it just estimates? Does it hep you live better?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

If you see a benefit in a new model, and your current one is falling short in your expectations, and you have the money, go for it.

It's an expensive toy designed to make you happy.

No different than me buying carbon wheels.

I've never seen a maker of carbon wheels say they help you live better. They're wheels that are designed to be stronger than alloy wheels. A fitbit says it will help you live better. 

52 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I find it is a good reminder to move.  It is also a good tracker of resting heart rate, steps (although only approximate) and best of all, it vibrates when I get a text message or phone call.  I like it.  Well worth the 199 bucks I paid for it. 

Excuse me but we have been instructed to smack you up side your virtual head if you showed up here.  There's a rusty fleet of 747s that need pilots like you.  Go study.

• Heart 3

12 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Does it help you motivate yourself to be active to the point where you would not be active enough without it?

If so, you need a new one.

Straightforward and simple advice. If it will make you continue to be active, it is worth the $300 or so.  I tend to think the fitbits are fairly useless as real tools, but the $300 Ionic might be an exception to that.

I would strongly suggest, instead of a fitbit, that you consider a Garmin instead. They are better overall devices and they have a better & more developed system that works across many exercise disciplines and has a history going back many years.

Get a fitbit if you need it, but I'd recommend stepping up to the Garmin products.

Tom

1 hour ago, Chris... said:

But not bottled water

I've got one of those new fangled faucet devices in my kitchen. I turn it on and hold a glass under it and the water fills up the glass. Delicious. 

It doesn't tell me how many steps I've taken or even an estimate, so it's low tech. 

It does make my life better, no marketing hype needed.

• Heart 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, petitepedal said:

I got my first one from King Termite...when he upgraded..lost that after a couple of months and bought this one. It is still working but the holder is coming apart...not sure if I want to go the bracelet route...as to phone yeah it counts steps but you have to carry it with you all the time.

You need to upgrade to the latest model.

1F6FFE29-4ABC-41B4-AA64-CCFD2656BBA9.thumb.jpeg.c33204cd8aa5bc85a537c359fc3e83f9.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, petitepedal said:

I got my first one from King Termite...when he upgraded..lost that after a couple of months and bought this one. It is still working but the holder is coming apart...not sure if I want to go the bracelet route...as to phone yeah it counts steps but you have to carry it with you all the time.

If you have a fitbit, you have to carry it all the time, too.  The phone is handier to carry all the time, I think.

• Awesome 1