I Hate This Sort Of Technology

Razors Edge

...ie: the kind that is just pasting tech on old school shit.  On average, a person probably has a refrigerator for 10-20 YEARS.  This refrigerator is gonna be obsolete in maybe 2-3 years? Then you just have a shitty old technollogy monitor in your kitchen. Or, you throw it out and, despite it still working well as a refrigerator, it goes to a landfill.

TEC-Gadget_Show_Samsung_96142-727x485.jpg.48f32abb192e7368d2f4e7b5ed4e772f.jpg

Tom

9 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Nah, just move it to the garage and use it as a beer fridge.

BTW, I don't think that anyone is able to keep a fridge for 20 years anymore.  I think they only last 6-8 years these days.  They don't make them like they used to.

My condo was built in 1993 and it has the original refrigerator :) also could be :o

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Mine turns 19 this year!!!!  A basic white GE model.  Maybe 20 cubic feet.  Freezer on top old school simplicity. Other than basic dust removal and new light bulbs, it has never had any maintenance. We are more than ready to replace it, but we just can't bring ourselves to replace a working appliance.

Tom

I can remember this with a TV I used to hate.  I could nor bring myself to replace it.  Once my wife called me and said that it started smoking.  I said "DON'T TURN IT OFF!!!!"  We went TV shopping that night!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Three times a dickbag said:

Why would you need such a fridge?  I am curious as to what benefit they are offering to make it worthwhile.

IT IS THE INTERNET OF THINGS!!!!!!  <- the caps indicate how important and "game changing" this sort of thing really is!!!!!

Tom

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Three times a dickbag said:

Why would you need such a fridge?  I am curious as to what benefit they are offering to make it worthwhile.

I saw one with a monitor on it, I agree that I will not buy one because that monitor will be broken / outdated in a few years.  Do you have a monitor from 10 years ago?  My fridge is 10 years old, I hope to keep it another 10.

The one I saw had apps, one was a grocery app.  Seems like a logical place to keep it, on the fridge.  Presumably you can get the same info on your phone.

One really neat feature it had was cameras inside the fridge.  So if you're at the store and you wonder if you have any broccoli, just take a peek.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Mine turns 19 this year!!!!  A basic white GE model.  Maybe 20 cubic feet.  Freezer on top old school simplicity. Other than basic dust removal and new light bulbs, it has never had any maintenance. We are more than ready to replace it, but we just can't bring ourselves to replace a working appliance.

Tom

Beats mine, it went TU late last year at 17.

36 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Nah, just move it to the garage and use it as a beer fridge.

BTW, I don't think that anyone is able to keep a fridge for 20 years anymore.  I think they only last 6-8 years these days.  They don't make them like they used to.

I just replaced mine. The previous one went about 12 years.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

One really neat feature it had was cameras inside the fridge.  So if you're at the store and you wonder if you have any broccoli, just take a peek.

Ok, that is pretty cool.  Not sure if I wouldn't just buy extra broccoli and save $800 (or whatever extra the fancy fridges cost) instead.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I saw one with a monitor on it, I agree that I will not buy one because that monitor will be broken / outdated in a few years.  Do you have a monitor from 10 years ago?  My fridge is 10 years old, I hope to keep it another 10.

The one I saw had apps, one was a grocery app.  Seems like a logical place to keep it, on the fridge.  Presumably you can get the same info on your phone.

:whistle:

• Heart 1

Just now, Kzoo said:

Whistles the man with the flip phone. :)

I spend on my camera equipment, computers, bicycles, fishing and hunting equipment, and travel, but not much on gadgets.  I found add on goodies could get very expensive, way back in the 60s and 70s when I was running with CB radios.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Breaker, Breaker 1-9.  What goodies could you add to a CB?  An external speaker and maybe a nicer antenna.  Over.

Good antenna and power mike were essentials, but some of the add ons to and within the basic unit I found unnecessary. Some of the ranches I had research plots on had base stations, so I could get help when needed, and that was nice.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Good antenna and power mike were essentials, but some of the add ons to and within the basic unit I found unnecessary. Some of the ranches I had research plots on had base stations, so I could get help when needed, and that was nice.

I had one in my car in the mid 70's.  I had a 45 minute commute and I liked to drive a lot on the weekends.  I enjoyed the company and you make over-the-air friends (sorta like here).  When I sold that car I didn't replace the CB.  It was nice for emergencies.  I had over-the-air friends that had base stations.  I could never sit at home and listen to a CB.  It was nice they were there for when a landline to a smokey or ambulance was needed on the road.

I can see the practicality of the camera to know what's in the fridge, but I just don't see the real need to pay the premium price for it. Also, I don't want some other device from which someone can hack into and steal information. You end up needing more hardware/software to keep things safe.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/01/03/protect-refrigerator-iot-security-comes-home/96069054/

2 minutes ago, roadiejorge said:

I can see the practicality of the camera to know what's in the fridge, but I just don't see the real need to pay the premium price for it. Also, I don't want some other device from which someone can hack into and steal information. You end up needing more hardware/software to keep things safe.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/01/03/protect-refrigerator-iot-security-comes-home/96069054/

So what valuable information does a refrigerator hacker collect?  The age of your milk and the fact that you only have 2 eggs left?  I'm guessing your refrigerator will interface with your shopping list so they will be able to see that the next time you go to the A&P you are going to buy bread.

5 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Whistles the man with the flip phone. :)

Don't you go all hatin' on fllip phones now.  :angry:

Seriously, though, when I was at the bike shop the mechanic asked "Is it ok to text you when the bike is done?"  I said "OK, but don't include any punctuation or emojis because my flip phone will freak out."  I could hear the other mechanic trying to stifle a laugh.  :D  So the guy says "How about I just call you, then?"  I said "Yeah, the probably would be the better option..."

• Heart 1

Oooh, neat.  A hackable fridge.

Yeah, no.  Don't think so. As much as I like tech, there are places it shouldn't be added because it won't be supported for the life of the product and just adds attack vectors to your household.

Same reason why I don't recommend a lot of the IoT (Internet Of Things) products.  Nobody is interested enough in making them secure, they just want to shovel and sell product.

I'm not sure what year but somewhere in the past (maybe ten years) they changed the refrigerant they have to use instead of Freon and the new stuff is crap. That's when the life of the fridge went to shit. The new fridges you have to keep in a heated room or they will self destruct. I went through two cheap beer fridges in the spa room before I discovered that. They worked all summer and burned up in the winter. A very helpful girl at Lowes of all places looked through all of the owners manuals of the fridges they had in stock and found a display model that had been on display for years and had a dent in the door. It was the only one they had that still used Freon. It has lasted three years and still going strong.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Kzoo said:

So what valuable information does a refrigerator hacker collect?  The age of your milk and the fact that you only have 2 eggs left?  I'm guessing your refrigerator will interface with your shopping list so they will be able to see that the next time you go to the A&P you are going to buy bread.

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/02/21/can-your-fridge-be-hacked-in-the-internet-of-things.html

15 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

Oooh, neat.  A hackable fridge.

Yeah, no.  Don't think so. As much as I like tech, there are places it shouldn't be added because it won't be supported for the life of the product and just adds attack vectors to your household.

Same reason why I don't recommend a lot of the IoT (Internet Of Things) products.  Nobody is interested enough in making them secure, they just want to shovel and sell product.

Exactly the point. Thieves break into a house through an unlocked bathroom door - not because they want to steal your toothpaste, but because they now have access to the whole house. That IoT refrigerator is gonna be connected to your home network with some level of trust that will make a hacker that much more destructive or intrusive.

Tom

On 1/11/2018 at 12:59 PM, Kzoo said:

Breaker, Breaker 1-9.  What goodies could you add to a CB?  An external speaker and maybe a nicer antenna.  Over.

I see a plain white wrapper three miles down from your location.

I had one of these, which I jerry-rigged to a cigarette lighter plug, and used a Cobra external mag-mount antenna.  High power, I used it on my car before cell phones were much of a thing in case of emergency, and to keep myself awake listening or talking to truckers.  I bought it for cheap at a county stolen goods auction, I have no idea what happened to it now.

DiLeCL8.jpg

11 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

I see a plain white wrapper three miles down from your location.

I had one of these, which I jerry-rigged to a cigarette lighter plug, and used a Cobra external mag-mount antenna.  High power, I used it on my car before cell phones were much of a thing in case of emergency, and to keep myself awake listening or talking to truckers.  I bought it for cheap at a county stolen goods auction, I have no idea what happened to it now.

DiLeCL8.jpg

The first couple of CBs I had were 23 channel, one of which was SSB. Don't remember exactly when the band was expanded to 40 channel. Some time in the mid to late 70s I think.

10 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

The first couple of CBs I had were 23 channel, one of which was SSB. Don't remember exactly when the band was expanded to 40 channel. Some time in the mid to late 70s I think.

I had the 23-channel version of that Robyn, I think. That was the best picture I could find; they made a 23 and a 40 channel version in the same model line.

As I recall, 19 was the trucker's main channel anyway, so that was fine. They were sure well made, though. I could have killed someone with it if I'd chucked it at their head. Most people wouldn't have believed (including the truckers, until I told them) that I was using it from a 1984 Chevy Citation anyway. Mediocre car.  Amazing aftermarket stereo put in by the previous owner (Nakamichi deck with Pioneer three-way 6x9's) whose thump could have made it the joke of any blaxsploitation film ever.

1200px-Chevrolet_Citation_II_front.jpg

On 1/12/2018 at 11:23 AM, Razors Edge said:

Exactly the point. Thieves break into a house through an unlocked bathroom door - not because they want to steal your toothpaste, but because they now have access to the whole house. That IoT refrigerator is gonna be connected to your home network with some level of trust that will make a hacker that much more destructive or intrusive.

Tom

That, or they have access on your network to the computer you do your personal finances and Amazon credit card transactions on.  Hackers are motivated these days mostly by money.

12 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

I don't think I ever had any more than 23 channels, and I think most of the two sets were Royce. Yes, they were much more dependable than cell phones, even in the late 80s and 90s in our area.