So it looks like our dishwasher went belly up

Ralphie

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We should do like one of my daughters friends goofy stepdad did and use it as a filing cabinet. :D

We had a dishwasher in my childhood home.  It was filled with spare pots and pans that were rarely used but took up space - like a wok.  My mom cooked, my dad did the dishes, so there was never a "need" for the dishwasher.  However, as we kids grew up, my parents had the kitchen remodeled, and a new "better" dishwasher installed, which eventually was used a lot because older kids seem to use a ton more dishes, cups, and utensils.

The old dishwasher served a second purpose, too!  I remember often opening the door and using it as a step to reach higher cabinets. Don't do that with dishwashers you use.

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We've never turned one on, and have had them in the house we've lived in since 1975.?

I should add that my first thought when I read the title, was that I hoped your wife was OK.:whistle:

My daughters say that glasses for one thing need the more thorough machine washing instead of the lighter hand washing. 

(You have me confused with BR46. :D)

So the first step in the attempted repair process was to drop a breaker bar on my bare little toe while rifling through the tool box tray on the seat of the dead motorsickle for the Torx I knew I had in there.  Turned oot to be to be in the tool bag, and too big, but I do have the proper T-15 bit, so step 1 down!  Sorry, 2Far!  I will try to remember to turn the breaker off before opening the door up. :wacko:

The last dishwasher I bought was really inexpensive (under $200). That was over ten years ago with daily use. I’m really impressed with it, if we ever need to replace it we will probably have to pay more. When we bought this one it was at Lowe’s, it was way up on the third tier rack. A girl with a Lowe’s vest on asked if we needed help with anything. I asked if she could get someone to get this dishwasher down for me. She said “no problem, I’ll get it down for you.” She got a step ladder and climbed up and carried it down the ladder. I was impressed.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Kzoo said:

yeah.  Pump and control panel.  Simple fix.

Pump...$200

Circuit Board...$500

May be cheaper to get a new one.

While Bosch tends to be regarded as top of the line, with kitchen remodel, got Maytag for appliance matching (plus one of the few that still had heating element for additional drying choice). Good service but cheaply made. Replacement part for wheel assembly is $25 each (x4) with the same faulty plastic design to be replaced again. Resolved for less than $3 per set with stainless steel lock bolts and washers replacing the hub/axle that would wear out.  

• Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So I am going with the door switch as a first guess since it is the cheapest part!  What are the odds the whole thing will 'splode if'n I remove all the door screws?

You can probably manually bypass the door switch with a jumper wire to test and see if the switch is bad. Of course, you can test the switch itself with a ohm meter.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, donkpow said:

You can probably manually bypass the door switch with a jumper wire to test and see if the switch is bad. Of course, you can test the switch itself with a ohm meter.

But of course one of the inner door panel screws is overly tightened and Torx are not much better than Phillips for not rounding out.  )(*&)*&%^%%!

I think I have some penetrating oil spray in the garage somewheres.t

Ahhhh, here we go!

IMG_1132.JPG

• Sad 1