Is football a religion

Dottleshead

If there were still a P&R section, would you recommend moving all football threads to it?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is football a religion?

• Duh.
    • Have you ever been to the South?
    • Are you talking about the game played with one's feet or the game played with helmets and a grill?
    • No way. Football is a game.... belongs in the Cafe.
    • I am a football atheist. I could care a less what you do with these threads.... because I don't waste my time reading them.

30 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I COULDN'T care less. So even less than you stated.

I usually can care less.  I maintain a very low level of interest, but, if pressed, could go a little bit lower.  I gotta keep a buffer space between my current level and the rock bottom if only to have a place to keep the many other sports I care even less about in.  I'm thinking pro table tennis. NASCAR. Golf. Beach volleyball. Pro swimming. Most track & field. Horse racing.  Many more.  At least with football - US or European style - I can leave it on in the background while doing other stuff and check in once in a while without being too bothered.

Now, if the Eagles make another run at the SB, I'm sure I'll DVR the heck out of the game.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

And... if they start it on NBC, they'll should the second half on another network and won't tell you about it ahead of time so you can plan and record the whole TdF SB.

I had a recent ToU stage where some dopey event beforehand ran late, so they started the "recap" show 20 min late.  Still, ended right on time, since they just skipped the first 20 mins of the ToU coverage altogether.  I actually liked that since it meant I didn't miss the LAST 20 mins rather than the first 20 mins.

Still, that is a weakness in DVR tech that could be resolved - end time adjustment on the fly for live events.  I see it more likely that all programming will be eventually "on demand" so you just pick any show, and as long as it has begun, it begins streaming.  No DVR, no schedules (in the classic sense), and really just a menu of stuff to watch.

Like Santy Claus, I enjoyed football as a kid. I thought the teams were local boys, and that there was an element of state/national pride in them.... but then I got older and realized that most of the players aren't even from the states they're playing for, may not have even gone to college there either, and that they often got traded, and so I was all like 'who cares'. To my analytical mind, even liking the game was silly. 

Then, if you actually go to a game...they're essentially standing around for most of the 2+hours you're there, partially because of commercial breaks. There's some close games and neat plays and all that, but more often than not you're disappointed, and the 1 on 1 and one-time matchups like the Superbowl IMO also don't test whether or not the best team even wins.  But Hockey or Baseball, they'll play 7 games if they have to in order to sort that out. 

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Now, if the Eagles make another run at the SB, I'm sure I'll DVR the heck out of the game.

Wait what?!?! Someone from the DC metro area that isn’t a Deadskin fan?  I thought everyone in NOVA rooted for them...  My wife has lived in SoCal since 1988 and is still a fan?!?

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I had a recent ToU stage where some dopey event beforehand ran late, so they started the "recap" show 20 min late.  Still, ended right on time, since they just skipped the first 20 mins of the ToU coverage altogether.  I actually liked that since it meant I didn't miss the LAST 20 mins rather than the first 20 mins.

Still, that is a weakness in DVR tech that could be resolved - end time adjustment on the fly for live events.  I see it more likely that all programming will be eventually "on demand" so you just pick any show, and as long as it has begun, it begins streaming.  No DVR, no schedules (in the classic sense), and really just a menu of stuff to watch.

Some games or events are adjusted on the fly for over runs.  I don't know how or why, but it does happen.

16 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

that is a weakness in DVR tech

Do you remember VCR technology? At least the DVR has a very easy “extend by 30 mins”... “extend by 60 mins” etc option for each program.

Do you know who won the 1999 Stanley Cup? I don’t*. One of the most controversial and debated goal decisions in the history of the sport, and my VCR stopped recording because it was in the 3rd OT of the game and my tape ran out.

*I do, and realize you don’t, and I have now seen the goal, but in the days before the internet was widely available, it was somewhat terrible to just have your tape end and have no idea of the winner.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

An editorial yesterday likens Luck with a gladiator that the fans want to risk his life and health for their entertainment.  Perhaps the football following is suspect after all.

BUT we pay him a LOT of MONEY.  He needs to suck it up and get back in there or my fantasy team is gonna suck!

The college game more so than the pros.

For me, the beginning of the end was the dawn of the free-agency era. While I think that the players deserve every penny they can squeeze out of the owners, the constant moving around of players, like checkers on the game board, makes it had for me to care about one team over another.

7 minutes ago, 2Far said:

The college game more so than the pros.

For me, the beginning of the end was the dawn of the free-agency era. While I think that the players deserve every penny they can squeeze out of the owners, the constant moving around of players, like checkers on the game board, makes it had for me to care about one team over another.

100% agree.

And yet I'm excited to watch a stupid preseason NFL game this Thursday with my father.

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

For me, the beginning of the end was the dawn of the free-agency era.

For me it was the insane dollar amounts that contracts ballooned to, and the entitled attitudes that fostered. I get it,  careers are short. But $35 million for a season? $65 M signing bonus? In a salary cap league?

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

For me it was the insane dollar amounts that contracts ballooned to, and the entitled attitudes that fostered. I get it,  careers are short. But $35 million for a season? $65 M signing bonus? In a salary cap league?

And yet we attend games and turn on the television to watch.  There's the issue. Folks aren't yet tired enough of the insanity.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yep, but it's entertainment, not really a game anymore. Look what the musical superstars rake in.

OTOH, most of them are broke 2 years after they play their last game, so the money is going back into the economy. 2009 SI article (has much changed in 10 years?)

22 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Attendance won’t drop, but TV viewership is down for a couple of years in a row now.

I don't like it either.  Some years I don't watch.  But this year I have.  I'm a hypocrite.  Fer gawd sakes, I've watched half of 2 preseason games so far this year -- unheard of -- as I usually don't watch many but maybe the last one of the year every other year.  

29 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

There are two places the cash generated from pro football can go once overhead is paid: 1) pockets of the owners or 2) the pockets of the players.  I'm pretty happy if the players get the lion's share of the cash.

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

There are two places the cash generated from pro football can go once overhead is paid: 1) pockets of the owners or 2) the pockets of the players.  I'm pretty happy if the players get the lion's share of the cash.

Is half the “lion’s share” of revenue? I think that is the split between owners and players.

1 minute ago, Dottie said:

Communist.  

I just want to hear folks say the owners deserve a bigger slice of the pot.  That's all. It's pretty straightforward.

I gotta say, I think the NFL would really boost their ratings if they focused a bit more on Dan Snyder and his owner's box rather than the play on the field. It's what most viewers are wishing for.

34 minutes ago, Dottie said:

How dare you! What about Jerry Jones??!?  

Jerry bought the 'Boys for a measly $140 million in 1989.  In 2016 they were valued at $4 billion.

Do you really think he cares if his split is slightly larger year to year.

That's billion with a B.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I just want to hear folks say the owners deserve a bigger slice of the pot.  That's all. It's pretty straightforward.

I gotta say, I think the NFL would really boost their ratings if they focused a bit more on Dan Snyder and his owner's box rather than the play on the field. It's what most viewers are wishing for.

It's their money -- their risk.  But just so you know -- I'm for the workers.  Just don't ask @Kzoo the same question -- he might not give you an answer you like.

• Whatever 1