Here we go? Untracked coronavirus appears in Northern Cali

Dottleshead

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Thank you Dr. Dottie, Doctor of Infectious Diseases and Immunology.  Graduate of the Medical School, University of Hard Knocks 

You don't read much, do you?  I posted a link to Fox News up there that should convince you. Because you're not going to find specific references to the coronavirus in the New Testament.

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I don't know what it means.  They're still learning more about it.  But when folks in your community -- the same one you travel through or spend time in daily -- start testing positive for the virus and they don't know where they contacted it from -- says this thing has been circulating in the community and they don't know how.  To me that's the larger concern.

I don't (sort of) agree. If this thing is circulating a great deal already, and most people are "blowing it off" as a cold or mild flu, AND assuming deaths are accurrately tracked, then it would seem far less serious than it might currently be thought to be.  IOW, the sick to dead ratio would be way less worrisome.

I have no real understanding of how the regular flu would impact an old folks home if no one there had a flu shot.  Would it kill a bunch? Kill none?  That's sort of my comparison - the flu without a vaccine versus this current coronavirus.  If we had a vaccine, then it would be a more normal head-to-head to wrap my head around.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't (sort of) agree. If this thing is circulating a great deal already, and most people are "blowing it off" as a cold or mild flu, AND assuming deaths are accurrately tracked, then it would seem far less serious than it might currently be thought to be.  IOW, the sick to dead ratio would be way less worrisome.

I have no real understanding of how the regular flu would impact an old folks home if no one there had a flu shot.  Would it kill a bunch? Kill none?  That's sort of my comparison - the flu without a vaccine versus this current coronavirus.  If we had a vaccine, then it would be a more normal head-to-head to wrap my head around.

You're right. Covid-19 really isn't a big deal.

The death percentage for flu is 0.1 to 0.2.  Coronavirus is only 20 to 30 times higher than that.  pffft.  A few more cases and it will be down to 18 times.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

From a pragmatic view, comparing it to the flu is no exactly a great fit because the flu has been around thousands of years and we've developed antibodies to it.  But nobody has any antibodies for this.  And it assumes we know more about it than we do.  I agree that in most cases it's probably nothing to worry about.  The best outcome is we all get a flu shot and coronavirus shot next year and be done with it.  Maybe the following year than can combine those two.  :)

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

You're right. Covid-19 really isn't a big deal.

This is the flu, MERS, or SARS debate.  Big deal really depends on whether you had it (or a loved one) or not.  Even Ebola is a BIG deal, but luckily, for me, not a worry.  We're seeing how this develops, but it is hardly a done deal that it will be a crippling event nationally or locally (unless you or a loved one gets it).

image.png.0092dffa1b382f97ea9211fb946ae95f.png

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

From a pragmatic view, comparing it to the flu is no exactly a great fit because the flu has been around thousands of years and we've developed antibodies to it.  But nobody has any antibodies for this.  And it assumes we know more about it than we do.  I agree that in most cases it's probably nothing to worry about.  The best outcome is we all get a flu shot and coronavirus shot next year and be done with it.  Maybe the following year than can combine those two.  :)

...and tons of people I know refuse to get flu shots. This includes some on this forum who brag about how they don’t need it or want the flu shot

• Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, Dottles said:

start testing positive for the virus and they don't know where they contacted it from -- says this thing has been circulating in the community and they don't know how.  To me that's the larger concern.

How many people didn't even bother to be tested?   The severity of COVID-19 symptoms can range from very mild to severe.  

People with the very mild symptoms, probably don't think they have "THE COVID-19" virus.   I'd suggest they don't even go to a doctor, because they think they just have a cold, bemuse they aren't that sick.

That's how the virus has been spreading with no known cause.  And that how the virus will spread eventually to the entire country.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-really-have-coronavirus/607348/

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

How many people didn't even bother to be tested?   The severity of COVID-19 symptoms can range from very mild to severe.  

People with the very mild symptoms, probably don't think they have "THE COVID-19" virus.   I'd suggest they don't even go to a doctor, because they think they just have a cold, bemuse they aren't that sick.

That's how the virus has been spreading with no known cause.  And that how the virus will spread eventually to the entire country.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-really-have-coronavirus/607348/

It's true.  There's no treatment and nothing that can be done for this virus.  If you get it -- suck it up butter cup -- and remain home.  I suspect only the more frail or those with breathing problems should be calling their doctors.  

And more...

https://www.kirklandreporter.com/news/toyota-of-kirkland-employee-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

I'm glad @Kzoo came in here and chimed it with his 2 cents.  It's always good to have a voice of irrationality.  This time it's in the auto industry so maybe he'll start smelling the oil and rubber now.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

If you get it -- suck it up butter cup -- and remain home.

Wednesday last week, WoBG attended a dinner with several girlfriends. When she got home, she was upset. I asked why (I knew I didn’t do anything stupid to cause this reaction).  My wife explains, one of her friends Jane was extremely sick, coughing, etc..    And then Jane explains how they just flew back from Orlando, the entire family is sick, the granddaughter is now in the hospital, and she is joking about having the coronavirus. 

My wife explained to Jane, this was nothing to joke about, and many of the other patrons in the (rather expensive) restaurant were overhearing the talking and they looked rather upset too that someone who was so sick was there.

Yeah, that’s how a virus spreads across state lines.   People are stupid.

A day later I stated to get that feeling like I was going to be sick, so did my wife.  24 hours after that we were OK.  We didn't get tested.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

We could start a pool.  Which member of our forum will be first.

Over unders?  I'm much safer now in my home but my wife still does work for the medical records department for a care center that is in the epicenter.  That makes her a good candidate and therefore me.  But it's getting big now in California and its going to overrun us.  So I got Page in there and look out for Texas now.  The Sharr remains vulnerable.  Oh and Mick has no home so I'm wondering with his vagabond lifestyle if he isn't ripe for the snatching.

Just now, Allen said:

My sister is a delta international flight attendant. She is going to be the vector bringing it here.

It would seem though somebody said with the amount of air circulating in the plane that they aren't as bad of place to pick it up as you'd think.  I guess i could google this but I'm too lazy.

56 minutes ago, Dottles said:

And more...

https://www.kirklandreporter.com/news/toyota-of-kirkland-employee-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

I'm glad @Kzoo came in here and chimed it with his 2 cents.  It's always good to have a voice of irrationality.  This time it's in the auto industry so maybe he'll start smelling the oil and rubber now.

Toyota of Kirkland is hardly The Auto Industry.

BMJA

On 3/5/2020 at 8:08 AM, Dottles said:

What did you used to do to be given access?

My past job was point of contact for WHO and CDC I case of an outbreak. I used to work I. The field of environmental emergency response. I have a background in WMD, Arson and many other things. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Jerry the virus is now very close to you.  

O'Hare Field in Chicago is a very large an busy airport, with flights to MANY places  How many others were infected?   Has any one seen the move 12 Monkeys?  I'm guessing it could be like that.

Relax.  @Kzoo is on this shit.  He doesn't think it'll spread.  

MILAN -- The coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy has so overwhelmed the public health system that officials are taking extraordinary measures to care for the sick, seeking to bring doctors out of retirement and accelerate graduation dates for nursing students.

The region of Lombardy is the epicenter of Italy’s outbreak, registering the first positive test of the northern cluster and now counting at least 1,254 of Italy's 2,036 cases. Alarmingly, 10% of Lombardy’s doctors and nurses cannot work because they tested positive for the virus and are in quarantine, the region’s top health official, Giulio Gallera, said Monday.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/italys-health-system-limit-virus-struck-lombardy-69331977

Perhaps our health care system (world wide) isn't ready to deal with this.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy has so overwhelmed the public health system that officials are taking extraordinary measures to care for the sick, seeking to bring doctors out of retirement and accelerate graduation dates for nursing students.

Geez.  2,036 cases of coronavirus sure seems like a lot fewer than their normal flu amount. They must be over-reacting.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, Razors Edge said:

What shows there is some over-reaction is that I heard a week or more ago about local (DC & VA) area "patients being tested for corona...." in the news.  Almost like they were "sure things" to have it, yet nothing on those NYT lists for DC or VA.

...nothing says real like your first confirmed test case turning out to be the Rector of Christ Church Episcopal in Georgetown.  Puts a different slant on Sunday services at the rich folks church.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:58 PM, Dottles said:

It would seem though somebody said with the amount of air circulating in the plane that they aren't as bad of place to pick it up as you'd think.  I guess i could google this but I'm too lazy.

Years ago aircraft like the DC-9 fully refreshed the cabin air about evey 5 minutes. Modern aircraft recirculate the air so much that it's more like 15-20 minutes for a full exchange. They do this to save money and people don't notice since smoking is not allowed. 

48 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Jerry the virus is now very close to you.  

O'Hare Field in Chicago is a very large an busy airport, with flights to MANY places  How many others were infected?   Has any one seen the move 12 Monkeys?  I'm guessing it could be like that.

I was on a 7 night cruise last month so I must be immune.

https://www.seattletimes.com/video/6139971188001/life-care-center-confirms-31-residents-test-positive-for-coronavirus/

This place is a death box.  31 out of 35 have tested positive.  

In other news, the staff their are calling in sick.

Employee update

On Feb. 19, there were 180 employees associated with Life Care Kirkland. Killian said that of that initial 180, 70 are now showing coronavirus symptoms..