Full Size Pick-up With Manual Transmission?

Razors Edge

According to a quick lookup only the Toyota Tacoma and the Jeep Gladiator have manual transmissions available. I figured they might be available on some very base utility fleet trucks. Nope. 
Driving by the car lots when they have vehicles in stock, pickups are now luxury vehicles with big trunks. 

My 2nd new car, a Ford Tempo, had a manual transmission.  My sister's first car was a manual transmission Ford Mustang - sold at a loss by a dealer whose manager was the father of her college friend, just before my sister got her bachelor's degree in nursing and before she started working for pay at the job she had a;ready accepted at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The salesman was asking her stuff like, "Income?"  She replied, "None," etc.  He went back to the manager and came back shocked.  "The sale was approved!"

For some reason it had a manual transmission and I had to drive it home, then teach my sister to drive it.

That was in the 80's and each was the first and last manual transmission car we owned, being more of a pain than it was worth and it had reached the point where manual transmissions were getting worse mileage than automatics.  The fun of frequent shifting became more of a job than an adventure,  Stopping while facing uphill and having to begin engaging the clutch before you released the brake, and then move the brake foot to the clutch, etc. was a pain.

Still, it was a worthwhile experience because, as time went on, there were occasions where each of us had to drive someone's manual transmission car and having the skill to do so was needed.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My 2nd new car, a Ford Tempo

I had a 1986 Tempo which was a good commuter car. 3-speed automatic.

I bought a 1994 Mercury Topaz (Tempo cousin) thinking that it would also be a good commuter car. Nope. Major POS. The second generation Tempo/Topaz was built cheap.

31 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It seems manual transmissions are mainly found in performance type cars these days.

Even that market is becoming almost exclusively some type of auto transmission.  Many have 'available' with a manual transmission.  Good luck finding one. 

https://www.cars.com/articles/which-new-cars-have-manual-transmissions-437905/

57 minutes ago, groupw said:

Driving by the car lots when they have vehicles in stock,

That seems to be a thing of the past. The interesting thing...  this will change (or possibly eliminate) car dealers and how they sell cars.  Ordering a car/truck, and waiting for it for a few months appears to be how things will be done in the near future, and possibly forever.    I can't wait... when the manufactures figure out if they sell cars online, and skip the dealer, they will make more money.

!997 Dodge 1 ton and 2009 vw jetta both have manual transmissions. Mick, starting on hills is one place where a parking brake comes in handy. Keeps you from rolling back into the 'blank blank blank' that rolls right up  on your tail. I have had to drive the pu onto racks when the techs could not handle a manual.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

My 2nd new car, a Ford Tempo, had a manual transmission.  My sister's first car was a manual transmission Ford Mustang - sold at a loss by a dealer whose manager was the father of her college friend, just before my sister got her bachelor's degree in nursing and before she started working for pay at the job she had a;ready accepted at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The salesman was asking her stuff like, "Income?"  She replied, "None," etc.  He went back to the manager and came back shocked.  "The sale was approved!"

For some reason it had a manual transmission and I had to drive it home, then teach my sister to drive it.

That was in the 80's and each was the first and last manual transmission car we owned, being more of a pain than it was worth and it had reached the point where manual transmissions were getting worse mileage than automatics.  The fun of frequent shifting became more of a job than an adventure,  Stopping while facing uphill and having to begin engaging the clutch before you released the brake, and then move the brake foot to the clutch, etc. was a pain.

Still, it was a worthwhile experience because, as time went on, there were occasions where each of us had to drive someone's manual transmission car and having the skill to do so was needed.

My 2017 Crosstrek is a manual. It doesn't roll back on hills. It gets better mileage than the automatic. I'm averaging 39 mpg.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I have had to drive the pu onto racks when the techs could not handle a manual.

Yeah... I wonder how many people have never seen a car/truck with a clutch pedal.    

My first car was a 1977 Z28 Camaro with a 4 speed.   And a few years later car #3 was a 81 Z28 of course with a 4 speed. 

42 minutes ago, denniS said:

My 2017 Crosstrek is a manual. It doesn't roll back on hills.

WoBG learned to drive my 81 Z28.   She even took it for a drive once...  he first solo drive.  (and last)  She told me... when she stared from a stop on a hill... it started to roll back, she didn't want to kill the engine and got nervous,  so she told me she gave it a lot of gas and let go of the clutch to stop it from rolling back.  Yeah  WoBG did a burnout across an interception.   And that really scared her... she never drove the car again.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Vehicles 3,4, 9, 11 and 14have all been manuals. WoW learned to drive manual on #4, a 74 Capri with V6. Guys in Camaros of the era used to like to rev their engines at a cute girl in an “economy” car. She would rev back and then beat them off the light! 
People ask why I don’t lock the Miata. First off, I don’t want them cutting the top to get in. 2nd, the clutch is a near perfect anti-theft device!

I remember VB saying he trained a bunch of military special ops guys on driving sticks in off road vehicles.  He was in disbelief that they couldn’t drive a stick.

Uh you mean 20 something YO guys who only drive automatics in civilian & military vehicles coming to you to learn how to drive a stick is surprising why???

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I remember VB saying he trained a bunch of military special ops guys on driving sticks in off road vehicles.  He was in disbelief that they couldn’t drive a stick.

Uh you mean 20 something YO guys who only drive automatics in civilian & military vehicles coming to you to learn how to drive a stick is surprising why???

I have the opposite problem. All five cars I've owned have been manuals. I drove my GF's car this weekend and immediately put my left foot down looking for the clutch and found the brake.

"Still no clutch?"

"Nope." GF laughs(Man you're an idiot.)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

My Dart is a 6 speed manual. The two Toyota’s prior to that, a Nissan and a Chevy have all been manuals. I prefer them. But yes, much more difficult to find nowadays.

I have ~ 230k miles in the Dart. Just had the clutch and flywheel replaced. The dual mass flywheel had started making a lot of noise. I inspected the clutch once it was out. Was still in great shape.  But on the bench the DMF would rotationally shift (by hand) about the length of the springs and stay. Then I could shift it back.  It was toast.  

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Sooner than later... manual transmissions will most likely be gone.  :(

The interring thing...  heated seats are 3rd on this list for what is popular. 

Stick Shift Index: Popularity of Features | CarMax

😮What a generation we live in.  Over two-thirds of the ‘owners manuals’ for both of my current vehicles is dedicated to nothing more than the on board computer/Bluetooth stuff - most of which I don’t even have on my car. 

My first car was a 59 Rambler with a column shifter, and a few after that were manual. Particurally remember the original German built Mercury Capri that was a pocket rocket. Lucked up when the only remaining UHaul truck available because few coul drive it was a manual. Today, enjoy significantly lower rental cost in Europe where automatics have a significant surcharge. A manual is far more common in Europe - probably over 50% of the vehicles.

Daughter’s first car was a 1977 VW Super Beetle, so obviously she can drive a stick. Still remember shopping for 2nd car as she lest for her freshman year college, Honda Civic EX. During my hard negotiation the salesman tried to meet my price, substituting the “Value Edition.” Daughter looked at it “Automatic…automatic! You think because I a a girl that I want an automatic?” I’m thinking - you go girl! And the salesman couldn’t get his foot out his mouth. They met my pice and we drove off with the EX. 

in school, she was one of the few that could drive the Biology Dept field truck…my dainty daughter in a F360 4x4. She doesn’t own a car today or the past 8 years, community rentals are manual, so has no problem. Does get perturbed when she gets some American graduate students working on their PhD and she has to drive them to the field (regular car, not heavy duty truck) because they can’t drive a manual.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

My Dart is a 6 speed manual. The two Toyota’s prior to that, a Nissan and a Chevy have all been manuals. I prefer them. But yes, much more difficult to find nowadays.

I have ~ 230k miles in the Dart. Just had the clutch and flywheel replaced. The dual mass flywheel had started making a lot of noise. I inspected the clutch once it was out. Was still in great shape.  But on the bench the DMF would rotationally shift (by hand) about the length of the springs and stay. Then I could shift it back.  It was toast.  

Great to hear that you are sticking with it!  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Thee only feature I would want on that list is remote start. And I've yet to have this feature on a vehicle.

We've discussed the manual vs automatic several times here.  This is more about the disappearance in FULL SIZE pick-ups - ie F-150, Silverado, Ram - and not really about "cars" or SUVs where we would expect and have seen them totally disappear.  Every car I have ever owned - including my current Civic - has been a stick with the exception of my other current car - the Accord.  Sticks are fun and definitely a great choice, but the Accord, as a daily commuter in DC gridlock, was a no brainer and easily shows why folks are all in on automatics. 

But TRUCKS???? WTF????  A 10sp auto is pretty much the standard now in an F150.  Sure, I get it, but to not also have a 6sp manual option????  Seems weird.

12 hours ago, denniS said:

My 2017 Crosstrek is a manual. It doesn't roll back on hills. It gets better mileage than the automatic. I'm averaging 39 mpg.

All highway miles?  Or some magic super-power????  39 mpg in a non-hybrid is awesome!  Our Civic that weighs 15% less than that Crosstrek was hitting 39 mpg in it's prime, but probably closer to 37mpg now.  My Accord was only ever hitting 40mpg on long trips at a steady speed on cruise control.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

All highway miles?  Or some magic super-power????  39 mpg in a non-hybrid is awesome!  Our Civic that weighs 15% less than that Crosstrek was hitting 39 mpg in it's prime, but probably closer to 37mpg now.  My Accord was only ever hitting 40mpg on long trips at a steady speed on cruise control.

I had a 2003 Echo that got 50 mpg. Almost exclusively highway miles. After that was my 2007 Corolla 38-40 mpg, again highway. Both were manuals. 

6 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I had a 2003 Echo that got 50 mpg. Almost exclusively highway miles. After that was my 2007 Corolla 38-40 mpg, again highway. Both were manuals. 

Exactly.  Echo's were TINY cars - super light, super fuel misers. The Corolla is similar to our Civic - size, power, trans - and pretty similar mileage.  That's what makes the Crosstrek so awesome - 15-20% heavier and still punching in at the far lighter cars' MPG.  I wonder if thinner air or if Dennis has a secret he could share.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Exactly.  Echo's were TINY cars - super light, super fuel misers. The Corolla is similar to our Civic - size, power, trans - and pretty similar mileage.  That's what makes the Crosstrek so awesome - 15-20% heavier and still punching in at the far lighter cars' MPG.  I wonder if thinner air or if Dennis has a secret he could share.

Huskies hooked to the front... 😉 

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

Thee only feature I would want on that list is remote start.

I would not want that feature.  We have an attached garage... my luck I'd start the  car by mistake and WoBG and I'd be dead from CO in a hour.

I'd want the receiver hitch for towing, 4X4 or AWD, heated seats, and bluetooth (which is nice in the Prius for the phone).

7 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I would not want that feature.  We have an attached garage... my luck I'd start the  car by mistake and WoBG and I'd be dead from CO in a hour.

I'd want the receiver hitch for towing, 4X4 or AWD, heated seats, and bluetooth (which is nice in the Prius for the phone).

I doubt remote start on the Prius would poison you too quickly.  Heck, I think most modern ICE cars would struggle to asphyxiate folks these days!

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

The vehicle only runs for ≈15 minutes. Besides to remote start it, you need to press lock, then hold start for a couple seconds. It's not just pressing a button once. I paid for the towing package on my Trailblazer...never used it.

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

It's not just pressing a button once. I paid for the towing package on my Trailblazer...never used it.

So you can help me move some stuff this weekend?  Hitch up a trailer, and we should be able to move a lot of stuff! :happyanim:

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I love my: BT, remote start, seat heaters, rear camera & tow hitch. I've used the 4WD/AWD about twice & only because I knew I could.

31 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I love my: BT, remote start, seat heaters, rear camera & tow hitch. I've used the 4WD/AWD about twice & only because I knew I could.

Do your work trucks ever come in manuals???  Do you get to see the work trucks? 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Mostly highway miles, I don't drive it around town much. I'm a conservative driver. When I bought it, it was reading 28 mpg. It has increased steadily ever since.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

We've discussed the manual vs automatic several times here.  This is more about the disappearance in FULL SIZE pick-ups - ie F-150, Silverado, Ram - and not really about "cars" or SUVs where we would expect and have seen them totally disappear.  Every car I have ever owned - including my current Civic - has been a stick with the exception of my other current car - the Accord.  Sticks are fun and definitely a great choice, but the Accord, as a daily commuter in DC gridlock, was a no brainer and easily shows why folks are all in on automatics. 

But TRUCKS???? WTF????  A 10sp auto is pretty much the standard now in an F150.  Sure, I get it, but to not also have a 6sp manual option????  Seems weird.

Thread cop. 

I was passed by a Silverado this morning. It sounded like he had a manual from his shift pattern.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Thee only feature I would want on that list is remote start. And I've yet to have this feature on a vehicle.

For colder climates I could see that.

My wife had cars with keyless entry & start. Really handy when you keep your keys in a purse, they just stay in your purse.   I could go for that, my keys just stay in my pocket when running errands. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

For colder climates I could see that.

My wife had cars with keyless entry & start. Really handy when you keep your keys in a purse, they just stay in your purse.   I could go for that, my keys just stay in my pocket when running errands. 

The FiL's car was keyless and a hybrid, and my wife took a while to get used to that as she would toss the keyfob into the central cupholder while driving, then forget the fob and/or leave the car "on" when going off to shop, etc..  Too funny.

16 hours ago, groupw said:

the clutch is a near perfect anti-theft device!

My Nephew bought a new Volvo convertible a bunch of years ago.  Being all show offy and a little snarky, knowing my daughter had just gotten her license, he asked if she wanted to drive it and tossed her the keys.  As she was walking out the door he yelled "It's a stick!", laughing.  She yelled back "guess what dad taught me to drive", and was gone for a half hour or so.

The new autos are so good, I wouldn't have a stick in a truck anymore.  But I do use the manual gear shift buttons when needed.  The Audi has the dual plate clutch auto, so manual shifting that is quite stickish (just a little delayed).  But the 3rd pedal is one reason I couldn't part with the GTI

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I paid for the towing package on my Trailblazer...never used it.

I installed a 2" receiver hitch on my Subaru, and added the trailer wire kit. (about 1/3 the cost, or less, of the 1 1/4 Subaru receiver)   When we built our new home, I also purchsed a small 5X8 cargo trailer.  Over the 2 years I had the trailer, I used used it 100+ times, about 3900 miles.  It hauled lots of stuff from different stores for the new home.  And we used it to move all of our stuff to our new home too. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I installed a 2" receiver hitch on my Subaru, and added the trailer wire kit. (about 1/3 the cost, or less, of the 1 1/4 Subaru receiver)   When we built our new home, I also purchsed a small 5X8 cargo trailer.  Over the 2 years I had the trailer, I used used it 100+ times, about 3900 miles.  It hauled lots of stuff from different stores for the new home.  And we used it to move all of our stuff to our new home too. 

I have a cheap U-haul installed 1 1/4 hitch on the Accord and use it for my rear bike rack.  Never pulled anything with it, but could up to a pretty low max if I needed to.  Definitely nice to have a hitch even if not used a lot (few dozen times a year?) as it really sucks loading multiple bikes on the roof or pulling them apart and stuffing in the trunk & back seat.

I installed a 2"reciever on the Toyota Sienna and bought a 5' x 10' utility trailer. It is very handy, in some ways better than a pickup. It holds more than a pickup, and I don't worry about it getting beat up, it is nice to be able unhook it and leave it loaded until I feel like unloading. Towing a trailer is bit of a pain, and it isn't always there like the bed on a truck. But all in all I'm happy with trailer rather than a truck.

But I would buy a truck if they weren't so damn expensive.

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

and use it for my rear bike rack

I have had a receiver bike rack for 15 years (or more).  The bike rack is a 2" hitch, I didn't want to buy a new bike rack.   Nor did I want to pay for the Subaru 1 1/4 receiver.  (no adaptor either) 

If I need to carry 1 bike it will fit into my Prius or Subaru, without taking off the wheels. If I carry 2 bikes (up to 4 which I've never done) or our tandem the receiver hitch get used.

I sold the cargo trailer... now I wish I would have kept it until now, and sell it... I could have nearly gotten paid for it's original price now. 

Over the years,  I've rented U-Haul trailers, they are WAY cheap compared to renting a truck for moving large stuff.

• Heart 1