My oldest son is being watched

jsharr

49 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have let him know that this is nothing but good as upper management is watching him and other stores want to someone like him on their team.

Yeah...  if Wade is number one at the new location,  then doors will open.  Wade will need to consider what he likes (or will like) to do.

• Heart 1

Number 1 in sales is a good place to be. My sister’s husband worked sales at Tiffany’s jewelry store. He was number 1 for many years. Not just his store, but corporate wide. He gave lessons on his secrets but they just didn’t believe that it was as simple as treating customers well. He retired but went back on an appointment only basis. 

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

Great to see him excel! 
My son was given management his own Subway to manage about a year after moving to Lincoln. They gave him a store in a truck stop and he made it a model of efficiency and quality. They offered him a store near a college that should have been successful but was losing money. 
He fired everyone there and started fresh. Within 6 months he had it profitable. Problem was they saw how good he was at training staff and kept stealing people for other stores! He had to keep hiring and training new people. That meant he had to put in a ton of hours. The pay was good but he hated having no life. 
He demoted himself to part time and made up the income with the race organizers he worked for as well. They eventually caved and asked him to take his first store and promised to back off on the demands. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Wade is polite and kind. It matters a lot. A good motto is do your work well and be kind. 

what was his current store manager trying to accomplish?  I would not let my number one go. 

Adam wanted to prove Wades worth. He did not like the store manager getting in Wade face,  telling him he could outsell Wade so Adam decided to make him put up or shut up. They swapped stores and Wade killed it today. Everyone at the new store was very impressed.

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Adam wanted to prove Wades worth. He did not like the store manager getting in Wade face,  telling him he could outsell Wade so Adam decided to make him put up or shut up. They swapped stores and Wade killed it today. Everyone at the new store was very impressed.

Got it. 

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Einstein wants to know if the two stores are the same size and same customer base. 

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

And are they staffed at generally the same level?

I will have to ask Wade he’s more up on the demographics, the size of the stores, their average volume, etc. but he’s always one of the top salesman and among all the stores

• Awesome 2

33 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

how'd everything go @jsharr

He did well. Yesterday was his early out day so he only worked until 130. But he had good sales and the store manager and other team members were impressed. This is in an area that has lots of apartments and lots of low income, very different demographic than his existing store but he did well. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

He did well. Yesterday was his early out day so he only worked until 130. But he had good sales and the store manager and other team members were impressed. This is in an area that has lots of apartments and lots of low income, very different demographic than his existing store but he did well. 

Do folks come into tire places just to shop around?  I guess I'm more a "I need tires - now" - and drop by whatever tire shop has my choice in stock.  The Civic has some small tires, and damn those were a pain to find in stock. Ended up with some Coopers vs a bunch of random no-name or weird-name tires.

I gotta think he has good sales skills that make folks feel like he is working with them to find a good match for their needs and purse strings.  Nothing worse than an overbearing sales guy.  The ones who help and give you space are true diamonds.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do folks come into tire places just to shop around?  I guess I'm more a "I need tires - now" - and drop by whatever tire shop has my choice in stock.  The Civic has some small tires, and damn those were a pain to find in stock. Ended up with some Coopers vs a bunch of random no-name or weird-name tires.

I gotta think he has good sales skills that make folks feel like he is working with them to find a good match for their needs and purse strings.  Nothing worse than an overbearing sales guy.  The ones who help and give you space are true diamonds.

Some do, esp if they are in the market for wheels as well as tires.  Wade says the store he is at is lower volume and lower income, so he is really focusing on trying to connect with the customer during the walk to the car and the inspection of the tires.  Discount Tires has a name for this process, and the manager at the store told Wade that his version of the process was the best he had seen in a long time and he wanted Wade to spend time with the younger guys at the new store teaching them how to do this well.   Wade is very polite and personable with the customers, and I think this goes a long way.    He told me it is easier to ask someone to spend $1000 on tires after you have spent a few minutes getting to know them and showing them you care.    

I think you are right about gaining trust.  Wade often tells me about someone that came in to look at wheels or tires and then left, maybe to comparison shop, and then comes back to the store and waits for him to help them.    He is doing something right for sure.

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Some do, esp if they are in the market for wheels as well as tires.  Wade says the store he is at is lower volume and lower income, so he is really focusing on trying to connect with the customer during the walk to the car and the inspection of the tires.  Discount Tires has a name for this process, and the manager at the store told Wade that his version of the process was the best he had seen in a long time and he wanted Wade to spend time with the younger guys at the new store teaching them how to do this well.   Wade is very polite and personable with the customers, and I think this goes a long way.    He told me it is easier to ask someone to spend $1000 on tires after you have spent a few minutes getting to know them and showing them you care.    

I think you are right about gaining trust.  Wade often tells me about someone that came in to look at wheels or tires and then left, maybe to comparison shop, and then comes back to the store and waits for him to help them.    He is doing something right for sure.

That’s how i worked at the bike shop. Ask questions, repeat their answers to gain understanding. Show them options. Working one day a week I was outselling full time employees.