So, what do I need to know about living in Boston?

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by TrentonMakes,

expensive!

Driving in the city isn't awful, forget about parking.  Just take the T, it's quite efficient.  Commuter rail is also pretty good.  Old Boston is super walkable

There are nice areas on the outskirts, a little more room, a little cheaper.

Excellent Italian restaurants in the North End.  Mikes cannoli's rival Philly's best.

Don't let them become Bruins fans.

My kids' landlord just offered them his condo before listing.  They jumped on the deal, as others in their neighborhood were bidding up $30K just during open houses.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How to pronounce Bwawston.

Dad's bunk mate in basic training was from Boston.  Dad was born in Waco and raised on the Texas Gulf Coast in Corpus.  A bit of culture shock.  He said it was fun to ask him to say my car keys are in my khakis. 

15 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

They are in for a shock. Aggressive drivers on the roads. It’s a lovely place with a lot of history and things to do. Summertime is the best. Residents have embraced the “Masshole” moniker bestowed on them. 

Aggressive is a weak word for Boston drivers.  Traffic is very bad.  The roads are designed for the 1800;s.  Construction is a constant and the signage is meant for someone standing right in front of it, not moving in a car.  Other than the fact that they will not be living downtown I'd say it was a place to not own a car at all.

If I haven't been clear yet, Boston may be the worst city I've ever tried to drive in.

Edit>  I have no experience with California driving however.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How to pronounce Bwawston.

It’s Bahston. My parents are from theah.

30 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If I haven't been clear yet, Boston may be the worst city I've ever tried to drive in.

Edit>  I have no experience with California driving however.

I can drive in Bahston. Naples Italy is a lot worse. They blow red lights and stop for green because someone will run the red. 

35 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I can drive in Bahston. Naples Italy is a lot worse. They blow red lights and stop for green because someone will run the red. 

I detect a very definite w behind the B with many from there.  Maybe them are the southies.  I don't know.  Traffic lights in Naples are considered recommendations. ;) 

• Thank You 1

37 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Had a pastor who spent time in Italy.  An Italian "stop" almost cost him his life.  Was involved in a really bad accident when someone ran a stop sign like that.

59 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Would they be living and working in the actual city?  Or in the suburbs somewhere?

I’m not sure. So far the conversation has been more about exploring the impacts of leaving here. There are friends “in Boston” but I have no specifics.

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I drove truck I was impressed that during rush hour the break down lane became an official extra lane.

When I was in college in Milwaukee, once (and only once) I was a passenger in a car.  The guy was from Boston..  OMG he drove like a crazy person.   He told me,  "That how everyone drives in Boston."

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I drove truck I was impressed that during rush hour the break down lane became an official extra lane.

I remember, from our brief visit years ago, not being able to make left turns to get into restaurants or gas stations because it would obstruct the near-constant traffic. There were fences in the center of the street, and we had to drive a distance until there was a legal u-turn intersection. It looked like at one time there was a center turn lane, but the growing amount of traffic led to the need for every available inch of lane space. So, no more center lane. 

• Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

When I was in college in Milwaukee, once (and only once) I was a passenger in a car.  The guy was from Boston..  OMG he drove like a crazy person.   He told me,  "That how everyone drives in Boston."

I volunteer to transport asylum seekers from ICE to temporary shelter and to the airport. They say pretty much the same thing about their country of origin. To a one, they are usually amazed and comment about the orderliness of the highway traffic here. 

We had a secretary named Carol from Boston when I was an industrial chemist in Baltimore.

For her birthday we gave her a box of "R's."

We had a guy we called "Weird Willie" in our graduate dorm at IIT.  He was a Physics grad student and was always walking down the halls and stairs with his index fingers next to each other forming weird angles in front of his face: "I'm trying to see four dimensions."

Back home, he said he used to "Go down Hahvahd Yahd and have a beah with the boys."

The last I saw him at IIT, he said he thought he almost had the four dimensions figured out.

So if you see such a person, now in his 70's, rotating his fingers in front of his face in Boston, ask him is he is Willard Hennessy who went to IIT.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, 12string said:

expensive!

Apparently that is one reason many people are leaving Boston.

From the linked article.....   

It’s been known for a long time that Boston is one of the most expensive cities to live. For this reason, it has now become one of the top cities that people are moving out of. 

https://hot969boston.com/listicle/boston-one-of-the-top-cities-people-are-moving-out-of-but-where-are-they-going/

47 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Apparently that is one reason many people are leaving Boston.

From the linked article.....   

It’s been known for a long time that Boston is one of the most expensive cities to live. For this reason, it has now become one of the top cities that people are moving out of. 

https://hot969boston.com/listicle/boston-one-of-the-top-cities-people-are-moving-out-of-but-where-are-they-going/

This is my primary concern. 🥺

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

30 years old, so working. She just wants a fresh start, a different landscape, and has a few friends who could help her land while she finds a situation. 

I think she could do better than Boston TBH.  That cost of living thing is real and flushed me out of Seattle.  So no, I don't advertise Seattle as a possibility either.  :slow-dance-smiley:

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

30 years old, so working. She just wants a fresh start, a different landscape, and has a few friends who could help her land while she finds a situation. 

So pay should be higher in part to match the cost of living.  Boston is one of those cities where pay levels may be inflated by the numbers of home office and management critters who work there.  Even wheels took a pay cut to go to Tenn.

So I guess if you have a great job then it's a wash.

• Thank You 1