$2840 per plate dinner

jsharr

Just now, MoseySusan said:

Woo-hoo! Scouting for everybody! 

Yep.  A Trio of Scouts sang the National Anthem.  One using his voice and the other two in sign language.  Scouting has become much more inclusive in the time I have been involved.  More open to alternate lifestyles, women, non protestant religions.  

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Scouting has become much more inclusive

This I like to see. @Dottleshead’s thread about the homeschooled family sent me into a rabbit hole of YouTube videos about homeschooling and unschooling. My only reservation about homeschooling is that it’s a function of privilege. Just as the most school ready kindergarteners come from families with time and money, the most successful homeschool families have time and money, and they’re making lots of videos that showcase their privilege. Organizations like Scouts can be an equalizer in the life of a kid whose parents don’t have either time or money for the enriched experiences in scouting. I hope it continues to grow.

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Mike Pompeo, ex Secretary of State?

Yep.  He was a great speaker.  Graduated first in his class from West Point.  Had some funny stories about a sargeant telling him he could learn alot if he would just shut up and listen when he was a green LT.   Also said his son was with him when he was sworn in as Sec. of State and was looking at all the pictures on the wall of past sec. and was like "Thomas Jefferson, James Madison,    Pompeo, yeah Dad, I don't think so!"      His main point was change happens on a local level and find a place to get involved and be the change you want to see.

My biggest take away that I will share with the Scouts was a quote that is part of the West Point Cadet Prayer about choosing the harder right over the easier wrong.   

https://www.west-point.org/academy/malo-wa/inspirations/cadetprayer.html

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Did you get to keep the plate?

No, as soon as you put your fork or knife down someone would swoop in and whisk it away.  Salad plate, gone.  dinner plate, gone, empty wine glass, gone.  Empty dessert cup or whatever they call the fancy little things that deserts come in, gone.  

I was a bit impatient, or better put our table was a bit impatient and we started putting dressing on our salad by ourselves.  One of the uniformed swoopers swooped in and took over dressing our salads for us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

This I like to see. @Dottleshead’s thread about the homeschooled family sent me into a rabbit hole of YouTube videos about homeschooling and unschooling. My only reservation about homeschooling is that it’s a function of privilege. Just as the most school ready kindergarteners come from families with time and money, the most successful homeschool families have time and money, and they’re making lots of videos that showcase their privilege. Organizations like Scouts can be an equalizer in the life of a kid whose parents don’t have either time or money for the enriched experiences in scouting. I hope it continues to grow.

Dense / clueless me, never thought about homeschooling as a privilege but of course, it has to be because it requires at least 1 parent to be around to give instruction and support.  Duh, me.

I never thought about homeschooling because it is NEVER an option if dominant society demands school and resident/citizen literacy in the country's official  language and parent does not have fluency in that language to teach anyone.  

I find the whole homeschooling thing rather foreign and fascinating, simply because I never knew anyone personally who had homeschooling. And I hung out with bright gals from low to middle-class families.  Even my Mennonite friend, went to a Mennonite school up to gr.10.

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I'll let my 2 successful well adjusted homeschooled daughters know this.  I'm sure it will send them into a guilty funk.  How dare they?  Wait.  It's my fault.  How dare I?

Homeschooling is like a lot of things.  Those that never experienced it are the biggest critics.

My observation is that homeschooling isn’t available to everyone. And for kids who are in public schools, scouting is an enriching opportunity.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

47 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

My observation is that homeschooling isn’t available to everyone. And for kids who are in public schools, scouting is an enriching opportunity.

54 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I'll let my 2 successful well adjusted homeschooled daughters know this.  I'm sure it will send them into a guilty funk.  How dare they?  Wait.  It's my fault.  How dare I?

Homeschooling is like a lot of things.  Those that never experienced it are the biggest critics.

This is also what I meant also Kzoo, that homeschooling needs to be appropriate language based in instruction:  the power and official language of the country.  It must be instruction for child in that power language to place the child very soon, on equal footing to compete and function in society.

And English language...is a power and business language --worldwide.

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Our troop is large.  Most are public school kids, but we have quite a few private school and home schooled kids.  Probably 85% public, 10% private and 5% homeschooled. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Aren't most owls home schooled and then just shoved out of the nest? 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

You kind of lost me with the function of privilege comment. The families I know locally that home schooled do not fit into what I would call a privileged category. I know that is a small sample to be statistically significant, but that is what I see.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1

Just now, sheep_herder said:

You kind of lost me with the function of privilege comment. The families I know locally that home schooled not fit into what I would call a privileged category. I know that is a small sample be statistically significant, but that is what I see.

I would tend to agree.  Most that I know home schooled not from a place for privilege but from a place of sacrifice is necessary to not compromise deeply held personal beliefs.   

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Our troop is large.  Most are public school kids, but we have quite a few private school and home schooled kids.  Probably 85% public, 10% private and 5% homeschooled. 

For sure. To put a finer point in it, public schools are there in a significant way for parents who don’t have time or money to homeschool. And scouts is also there for parents who don’t have time or money to enrich their children’s experiences. Homeschooling, private schooling, public and public charter schooling…I’m all for it. I’m also all for organizations like scouting. 

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

You kind of lost me with the function of privilege comment. The families I know locally that home schooled not fit into what I would call a privileged category. I know that is a small sample be statistically significant, but that is what I see.

If they have time to educate their children, they have a privilege. And how cool is it that your friends have figured out how to make it work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

If they have time to educate their children, they have a privilege.

Interesting observation.  I'll let WoKzoo know that.  I'm sure she will understand and feel obligated to give back something she was not entitled to.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 2

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Interesting observation.  I'll let WoKzoo know that.  I'm sure she will understand and feel obligated to give back something she was not entitled to.

My understanding of privilege doesn’t include guilt or entitlement. 

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Did you have to tip on the $2,840?

The bartenders cleaned up!  Open bar and just picked the bar I was going to go to and handed the guy a 20 at the start of the evening.  Boss only drinks Jack Daniels.  They had TX Bourbon and Jim Beam.  Bartender sent a bar back to find a bottle of Jack.  

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Guilt and the guilt of entitlement are the foundation of privilege.

How someone feels about their privilege is different from the nature of privilege. I choose acceptance and community engagement. I don’t wish guilt on anyone. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Guilt and the guilt of entitlement are the foundation of privilege.

Or empathy is a better way at this, Kzoo.

For instance, I do have privilege as university grad, middle-income office job earner and completely fluent English speaker to navigate our health care and Canadian legal system.

Compared against my parents who have high school education (my mother has only up gr. 10 in China. She didn't finish further because that was not expected of girls at that time in China's history prior to Communist takeover).

I have enormous empathy for what they have sacrificed to raise and support 6 children. I use the benefit of my privilege which far superior English language communication skills to speak to professionals, more knowledge (than they) in key Canadian services and program areas and give money when needed, to ensure they get equitable services that they are entitled to.

It is not guilt, shame.  It is knowledge and skills that I know I can far more easily to advocate  and use/give, on their behalf.

47 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

How someone feels about their privilege is different from the nature of privilege. I choose acceptance and community engagement. I don’t wish guilt on anyone. 

Quite honestly, I feel privileged to have gone through my public school..elementary right through in high school.  We did attend a top-rated public high school in our county. We just luckily lived only 1 km. from it.

There is absolutely no way, my world view would have expanded being home-schooled based on my parents' educational level.  I would have never as quickly acquired a wide circle of non-Chinese school mates from diverse income levels and backgrounds.  Public school was necessary to pull me out of my extreme shyness for developing better social skills, as a struggling ESL student ages 5-7 yrs.

I'm a Democrat but have supported good people from both parties who I respected.

I was invited to a $2000/plate dinner but passed it up.

I donated to a Republican friend who won election as our County Executive and somehow my name ended up on a GOP mailing list.

Every year, I got a Christmas Card from Pres George W and Laura Bush.  My Republican cousin who was Mayor of Morris Township, NJ was jealous.

Then I got an invitation to attend a $2000/plate dinner for G W Bush's next campaign.  At the bottom of the invitation was this apology: "Unfortunately, President G W Bush will not be able to attend, but President G H W Bush will be there."

I thought that was rude.  He wants $2000 from me but can't even meet me?  I had voted for his father but Dubya lost me there.

52 minutes ago, Further said:

I shudder to think of the education I would provide as a home schooler...

That kid would know some things...

Not sure what things...

How to drive a manual. How to change oil. Basic home maintenance. How to strip and clean a 1911, browning shotgun and a Remington rifle. How to clean a fish.  How to treat women and elders.  How not to be a Jack wad 

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

How to drive a manual. How to change oil. Basic home maintenance. How to strip and clean a 1911, browning shotgun and a Remington rifle. How to clean a fish.  How to treat women and elders.  How not to be a Jack wad 

I guess I still need to buy a Remington rifle and strip and clean it after a day at the range.   I've learned all of the other stuff.

That dinner sounds like it was a great event.  :)

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I guess I still need to buy a Remington rifle and strip and clean it after a day at the range.   I've learned all of the other stuff.

That dinner sounds like it was a great event.  :)

You can borrow mine

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

And if anybody deserves having a thread trashed, it is me.

I see no trash here. It’s interesting dialogue among people I respect in a spirit of open marketplace of ideas. This is good stuff. :)

• Hugs 1

Just now, MoseySusan said:

I see no trash here. It’s interesting dialogue among people I respect in a spirit of open marketplace of ideas. This is good stuff. :)

It would’ve been much better in the homeschooling thread, not the Boy Scout friends of scouting dinner thread

Just now, jsharr said:

It would’ve been much better in the homeschooling thread, not the Boy Scout friends of scouting dinner thread

Got it. And yet, the original point was that Scouting is an opportunity for enrichment, and big donations help. I hope that’s the takeaway. 💞

• Heart 1