Your closet wardrobe: when you're retired

..a bit shocking, when I force myself to look at my closet now:

• still have to clear more of dearie's stuff. He had several boxes of mysterious cords, parts to something. I recognize the bike gear ..light mounts. Most of it must go.
  • my modest, but mostly business clothing.  I do wear some of it occasionally. I keep some pieces for....weddings, special occasions and funerals.  They are pieces that require I am fit to wear well. So far, I am.
  • winter wear to last for next 5-15 yrs. ahead. For temperatures even up to -40 degrees C 
  • more brand-new cycling gloves. Yes, will keep since my hands don't get bigger.
  • enough walking and cycling shorts.  Yes will keep. I can fit it all.
  • enough cycling tights, for spring and late fall/early winter

Am a petite woman, so it is increasingly difficult to find reasonably-priced clothing that fits, complements me without being dowdy, and quality that is not fast fashion garbage.  ie. must not fall apart after a few washing machine throws.

All Vancouver stored clothing was discarded there.  Survived that shock since I did slowly migrate batches of worthwhile clothing to Calgary over past decade.

How are you dealing with all your clothing cache in retirement? How much have those who have retired, scaled back their wardrobes?

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

How are you dealing with all your clothing cache in retirement? How much have those who have retired, scaled back their wardrobes?

I'm not retired but steadily old suits get donated and never replaced. Same with most "dress" stuff. As WFH as well as working in an office became more and more casual, most of my clothes are in the "suitable for most things" category rather than specific to a few.  Pretty much just bike stuff is very specific to one thing, but some of that stuff can be used in other sporting activities - mostly base layers.  

I still have a lot of my military uniforms in the closet, and I retired from there in 1997. I have about 20 ties with most of them having a bicycling theme. I don't wear ties anymore unless it's to a funeral or something.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I didn’t scale back anything for the first five years. After Esther passed I was cleaning out closets and getting rid of her stuff and started getting rid of my stuff I didn’t wear anymore. When I asked Judie to marry me I knew I needed to get rid of more stuff. I was ok with what was left but Judie keeps buying me more clothes. I need to go through my closet again.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

23 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I still have a lot of my military uniforms in the closet, and I retired from there in 1997. I have about 20 ties with most of them having a bicycling theme. I don't wear ties anymore unless it's to a funeral or something.

What can be done for military uniforms? What do people normally do?  Is it disrespective to ask a local theatre group if they want a suit you set aside for them to choose?

21 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I didn’t scale back anything for the first five years. After Esther passed I was cleaning out closets and getting rid of her stuff and started getting rid of my stuff I didn’t wear anymore. When I asked Judie to marry me I knew I needed to get rid of more stuff. I was ok with what was left but Judie keeps buying me more clothes. I need to go through my closet again.

I did really donate a couple large sacks of dearie's clothing. It was a killer to me, that some of it included what I gifted him over the yrs. But he did wear alot of it. As we must know, our tangible assets are only for us, for our own happiness when we are alive.

But still have a few great condition cycling jackets of his here. I will get there to donate in spring...it's too snowy/icy to trudge over now.

29 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Sometimes our area has fun, local costume-themed bike rides.  Gals will wear old bridesmaid/prom dresses...modified if too long on bike.

Since you are the Prez,....

• Heart 1

I was just going through this evolution this past weekend.  My current job is very casual and I wear company polo’s most days.  My last job was more formal and I have a bunch of dress shirts I never wear now… I should just donate most of the dress shirts and make room in my closet.  

6 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I could clean out some of my clothes.  I have not yet decided when I will clean out mrs_az_cyclist's clothes.  Her friend (and our neighbor) had offered to help me whenever I want to do it.

I did it in stages getting rid of my wife’s clothing. First I got rid of the old stuff and stuff I never liked to begin with. I saved my favorite outfits I liked seeing her wearing. When I got engaged to Judie realized that had to go too. The hardest part was her wedding dress that she made herself. It was in the cedar chest that we didn’t have room for anymore and I gave that away too.

• Hugs 2

After my last school year ended, I bought a week’s worth of fitness wear for daily hiking, gym time, riding, all of it. I still have career clothes in the closet and wear the skirts or slacks to attend live performances. And to recent funerals. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

It is not so much her clothes as her pictures that are around the house.

I gradually took the pictures down when I started dating. Just before I got remarried I took down the remaining ones but I will never part with them.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

That said, I am a long way from dating at this point.

I was ready sooner than most because I was the care giver for my wife for a long time. I waited one year to start dating mostly for my kids and grandkids to get used to the idea.

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

I've started cleaning out some of my closets, but even when I donate/throw out a lot of stuff, there is still too much. I'm throwing out stuff where I have duplicates or that are clearly not something I'll wear, but I'm probably keeping too much "nice" stuff.  I suspect once I've gone through a year and seen how little of the "nice" stuff I wear, I'll be able to cull even more.

• Heart 3
  • Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1

:happyanim: Let's just say, I've dressed casual for many years. Don't even think I could donate some of my old stuff as it is out of style. Variation in weight has made me duplicate some causal wear, but suffice it to say, there are some places that would not let in the front door. Dressing up for me is wearing clean jeans, a nice shirt and a vest, and that is very acceptable for most events where I live. The cowboys will often wear a nice bandanna around their neck. Yes, I have piles of old clothes, and I like the idea of donating some to an acting group (The Barn Players) in our town. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

38 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I now buy stuff saying..I need 2 years out of this..:whistle:

I didn't think rationally that before covid. But no any new dress skirts for past....well decade.  I own and wear only 2 dress skirts. This is how minimal I am compared to many women last 20 yrs.

Latest dress purchase was a denim material for biz "stylish" wear past 12 yrs.

****Covid lockdown WFH for 2 yrs., confirmed for me, for real, that I already have some nice clothing pieces.  I may not be the most fashionable, flashy /flirty woman in the room. I truly consider my level of health and fitness to be top "fashion" priority for me. If I am both ...then I WILL look good in alot of fitted clothing I wear from now on.

I realize some women find it difficult to get off the flirty, sexy track into their 60's.  Don't feel that at all...since I never was that (or hardly at all). So my adjustment to classic fashion style is far easier to live with.

2 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

Paula had her wedding dress made into baptism garments for grandkids,  so I dont have that decision to make.  It is not so much her clothes as her pictures that are around the house. That said, I am a long way from dating at this point. 

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I was ready sooner than most because I was the care giver for my wife for a long time. I waited one year to start dating mostly for my kids and grandkids to get used to the idea.

I'm not sure my BIL is dating/seeing any woman since he lost his wife/my sister in 2010.  No one in family knows.  I just wish he does more fun travel vacation trips overseas since he has the money.  You all need to understand.... he discovered his wife's body at home. 

I don't even quite understand why should anyone feel an internal need to date anyone if their marriage was long and good for one another at the core, for many years. Great, if widowed person wants take that direction. I don't mean to sound  curmudgeonly.... but it does seem sort of general expectation in some circles.  I don't feel sorry for myself that I seem to stay back...that's for sure.  Especially knowing who loved me and who I loved.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I've started cleaning out some of my closets, but even when I donate/throw out a lot of stuff, there is still too much. I'm throwing out stuff where I have duplicates or that are clearly not something I'll wear, but I'm probably keeping too much "nice" stuff.  I suspect once I've gone through a year and seen how little of the "nice" stuff I wear, I'll be able to cull even more.

I should discipline myself and just pitch bedraggled worn clothing that I wear at home. I really do drag out wear on the clothing...right down to some holes, elastics too loose, etc.  Is that a sign of going overboard?  I got some good cloth rags for wiping bike. :frantics:

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

:happyanim:  I like the idea of donating some to an acting group (The Barn Players) in our town. 

They would welcome the idea.  Some "vintage" clothing is getting eagerly snapped by Gen Z.

Myself and several sisters wore my mother's late 1950's-early1960's dress clothing...it was high quality construction and far superior fabric.  She was very happy to do alterations for us to recycle renew. :) I wore fully lined wool tailored jacket and a winter coat that my father gave as a wedding gift to her, for  my several university years as student. I loved those pieces and looking back, I think made her so happy for her daughters to wear some of her young woman's clothing.

I actually didn't know her winter coat as a wedding gift..until just 6 yrs. ago.

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

What can be done for military uniforms? What do people normally do?  Is it disrespective to ask a local theatre group if they want a suit you set aside for them to choose?

Most of just keep them for old time sake.  I have a Class A jacket that has my ribbons & such on it buried in my closet.  
My BDU’s (camo) I mostly gave away but when I got recalled for Desert Storm I kept my gear.  My son had a field day with it when he went through his army phase.  

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Most of just keep them for old time sake.  I have a Class A jacket that has my ribbons & such on it buried in my closet.  
My BDU’s (camo) I mostly gave away but when I got recalled for Desert Storm I kept my gear.  My son had a field day with it when he went through his army phase.  

Your children may want to keep a full suit ...long after you.  Do you have your policing uniform / hat? Keep it ...for them.... and for CJ.  You need to have a few stories associated the uniforms.. :party:

My story the black wool winter coat I wore as a student, is that is was the wedding gift my father gave to my mother.  I found out ....several years AFTER my father died.

I didn't know the significance of coat. However, I wore that coat until it shredded at the sleeve cuffs.  It was a sleek beautiful and unique design you wouldn't find in North America.

38 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I am currently looking for a 2nd home in the Twin Cities area, near where my youngest son and his family live.  We had started that last summer, but guit for a while when Paula got sick.  My son and his wife are making the first visits to homes the real estate agent is sending me.  My son mentioned a week or so ago that I might start dating at some point. 

It will take some time...... I am still wearing our wedding ring. 

My niece's wedding ring....is her deceased mother's ring.  We're happy she wears something close to her heart.  She nearly lost it when tossing football with hubby.  So before the wedding, she hired someone with metal detector to scan grassy park. It was found in 10 min.

• Heart 1

What I'm really trying to say something:  we each own /created something permanently.....that it actually strongly asscociated by others as  part of our life/our being.  Keep it...for loved ones. If there is story behind the "thing", tell that story...soon.

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Your children may want to keep a full suit ...long after you.  Do you have your policing uniform / hat? Keep it ...for them.... and for CJ.  You need to have a few stories associated the uniforms.. :party:

My story the black wool winter coat I wore as a student, is that is was the wedding gift my father gave to my mother.  I found out ....several years AFTER my father died.

I didn't know the significance of coat. However, I wore that coat until it shredded at the sleeve cuffs.  It was a sleek beautiful and unique design you wouldn't find in North America.

I have some gear from the PD but uniforms (well patches & badge) had to be returned.  

• Heart 1

I lost all my clothing except what I was wearing when my house burned down.  Also almost all my accumulated junk.  What didn't seem ruined - like my bike - the company cleaning up said to list it as ruined - who knows what heat may have done to it - and let State Farm replace it.

Before the fire, I had joked with friends that I had so much useless junk in my house that if I came home and found everything had been stolen, I didn't know if I be upset or happy.  So the fire was very stressful - as I detailed here through the ordeal of getting it rebuilt - but the farther I am from the event, the happier I am that it occurred.

When State Farm gave me $4000 the day after the fire in case I needed stuff and another $53,454.62 later, I was glad it all happened except, of course for 16 months of stress until I moved into the much, much, much better house.  I should add that $29K of that money was invested in stocks, including Nvidia in 2022, and the profit from that has almost matched what State Farm gave me.

So all the clothes, furniture, kitchen stuff, bike, etc. I have now were bought after the March, 2020 fire.

Retired, I never did get around to replacing the nice suits I had.  At funerals, graduations, Church Confirmations, weddings, etc. most guys don't wear them anymore and no one seemed uncomfortable to show up in jeans!

I have a couple dress pants, dress shirts, ties, leather belt and a pair of beautiful brown wingtip shoes. They do the trick when I need to look decent.

I have a few different pairs of sneakers/walking-running/hiking shoes, a variety of khaki and blue jeans, some short sleeve tee shirts with pockets and some light, medium, and heavy flannel shirts, a couple sweaters, diebetic socks in white, gray, and black, jackets from extremely light to heavy, hats, gloves, belts, etc.

• Hugs 1