My morning coffee routine has changed

jsharr

2 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Black coffee is the way to go. It tastes like coffee

I was indoctrinated to black coffee in the Army and so just drink it that way ever since.   No sugar or creamer ever.  

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am no longer adding half and half to my coffee.  Drinking it black and cutting back on my consumption.   I drink one 16 oz cup at home before I shower and I bring 16oz with me to work and drink it once I get to my desk.    Most days I only drink about half of the second cup before it grows cold.

On weekends, if not camping, I will add creamer and have two or more cups at home.  I may take RG's advice and go find a local coffee shop to hang out at.  

For some reason and not associated to my dietary changes at all, I have cut back on my coffee to just one cup but I also have a cup of jasmine green tea daily.  I just haven’t wanted more coffee.  

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Black coffee is the way to go. It tastes like coffee

Especially good coffee.  I need to work on my percolator game for camping.  Spend more time watching the sight glass and adjusting the heat to keep it from boiling too soon.  Right now I just put the coffee on high heat on the camp stove and when I see perking in the glass I set a 5 minute timer but do not adjust the heat.   I keep getting assigned coffee duty on the adult duty roster, maybe because I am the only one that gets up at 5:45 to make coffee and beggars can't be choosers.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

32 ounces is still a crap ton of coffee!  I switched to two shots of espresso in the morning. 

It is still less than 48 or 64, so there is that.  Maybe I should convert this to metric?  Does .9 litre sound like less than 32 ounces?   And I enjoy sipping on coffee.  Doing a shot of anything to start my day has very little appeal to me.  

• Heart 4

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

32 ounces is still a crap ton of coffee!  I switched to two shots of espresso in the morning. 

So some quick google foo landed me at the front door of the Mayo Clinic and Dr. Juan Valdez told me that a 16oz cup of coffee has around 185 mg of caffeine and that a healthly adult can safely consume 400 mg of caffeine daily, so while still alot, I am about 30 mg below the limit and should be able to drive and pass a breathalyzer test.

• Heart 4

Just now, jsharr said:

So some quick google foo landed me at the front door of the Mayo Clinic and Dr. Juan Valdez told me that a 16oz cup of coffee has around 185 mg of caffeine and that a healthly adult can safely consume 400 mg of caffeine daily, so while still alot, I am about 30 mg below the limit and should be able to drive and pass a breathalyzer test.

Being a sipper of the second cup is probably a good thing.  One of the problems doctors have with energy drinks is the speed at which they are consumed. 

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Being a sipper of the second cup is probably a good thing.  One of the problems doctors have with energy drinks is the speed at which they are consumed. 

It is noon and and my cup is about half full.  Probably done for the day.  I never chug coffee.  It is meant to be savored and enjoyed slowly.

• Heart 2

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am no longer adding half and half to my coffee.  Drinking it black and cutting back on my consumption.   I drink one 16 oz cup at home before I shower and I bring 16oz with me to work and drink it once I get to my desk.    Most days I only drink about half of the second cup before it grows cold.

On weekends, if not camping, I will add creamer and have two or more cups at home.  I may take RG's advice and go find a local coffee shop to hang out at.  

I got hooked on coffee when on vacation and my wife would make it HER way - ie lots of 1/2 & 1/2 and sugar, so it was essentially very similar to how coffee ice cream (a favorite of mine) tastes. Back around 2007 or so, I weaned off the sugar, but kept to 1/2&1/2.  Then, several years later, dropped that too.  Black coffee - from good beans - is quite easy to enjoy.  I still will dress up Starbucks or a Keurig coffee, but generally, the black route is the best.

Happy you made the transition. It really simplifies things too.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I got hooked on coffee when on vacation and my wife would make it HER way - ie lots of 1/2 & 1/2 and sugar, so it was essentially very similar to how coffee ice cream (a favorite of mine) tastes. Back around 2007 or so, I weaned off the sugar, but kept to 1/2&1/2.  Then, several years later, dropped that too.  Black coffee - from good beans - is quite easy to enjoy.  I still will dress up Starbucks or a Keurig coffee, but generally, the black route is the best.

Happy you made the transition. It really simplifies things too.

You have had the coffee I drink.  It really does not need anything to be great.  

• Heart 1
  • Yum 1

8 hours ago, jsharr said:

As a teacher, we had a group coffee pot in our science dept. office.  There was barely enough time to fill a mug between classes and we all drank it black, no sugar.

Today, I prefer a little half-and-half in it.

• Heart 2

I'm down to one cup a day in the morning except for special treats.  When I was still working and deep in the microscopic work there was an optimum amount of coffee necessary to keep my hands steady.  I used to joke about the dither signal in my hydraulic systems.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, jsharr said:

Now I want to check my old travel mug to see how long it keeps things hot.  

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, jsharr said:

I may take RG's advice and go find a local coffee shop to hang out at.  

I've been saying this for years!!  RE thinks I'm nuts but that's not saying much.  Coffee shops are a great place to unwind, fiddle with your phone and other electronic gadgets, people watch and perv -- all while getting fired up and activating your bladder.  What's not to like??! Plus the barrista's aren't just there to make your coffee.  Major social aspect to the deal.  

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I've been saying this for years!!  RE thinks I'm nuts but that's not saying much.  Coffee shops are a great place to unwind, fiddle with your phone and other electronic gadgets, people watch and perv -- all while getting fired up and activating your bladder.  What's not to like??! Plus the barrista's aren't just there to make your coffee.  Major social aspect to the deal.  

Major perving options, so perfect for you, @Randomguy, and now @jsharr .  I get it!  I get my perving time on my rides and all the hotties jogging or sometimes even riding! 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

I drink 24 oz (4 6-oz cups, or whatever the number on the side of the coffee pot means) on days I brew it at home.  I get a medium coffee at the bike ride coffee stop.

I first drank coffee the day after I graduated from HS, May 1970.  I didnt like cream in it, so I just added sugar.  Could never get the right amount of sugar so I went to straight black coffee a year later. 

The only possible problem with black coffee is how hot it is.  Too hot to drink quickly on a short bike ride coffee stop. Several years ago I tried a latte at the MSP airport, and discovered I liked that.  I dont have them a lot, but every now and then I enjoy a latte. 

• Heart 3

My tea routine has changed a bit while I transition to warmer weather.  First cup and a half are hot, then I use the cold 1/2 cup to augment the next cup, which goes over ice.

It will be mostly iced tea from June until September.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Americano with cream. I pour an ounce of cream into the cup, add about 6 ounces of hot water using the steaming wand on the espresso machine so the cream gets a little frothy, then I brew the espresso directly into the water and cream. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

I drink 24 oz (4 6-oz cups, or whatever the number on the side of the coffee pot means) on days I brew it at home.  I get a medium coffee at the bike ride coffee stop.

I first drank coffee the day after I graduated from HS, May 1970.  I didnt like cream in it, so I just added sugar.  Could never get the right amount of sugar so I went to straight black coffee a year later. 

The only possible problem with black coffee is how hot it is.  Too hot to drink quickly on a short bike ride coffee stop. Several years ago I tried a latte at the MSP airport, and discovered I liked that.  I dont have them a lot, but every now and then I enjoy a latte. 

I’ll sometimes do a latte or a mocha but will likely not be drinking either any time soon.   If I need to drink coffee quickly I’ll often ask for room and then add a couple of blocks of ice. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Milk in my coffee or black tea (never green tea). No sugar.  I drink several cups daily.

I stopped putting sugar in either when I was 21 yrs.  I suddenly decided that and it has stuck since. 

When I went to England for a wedding, I was introduced to milk in tea.   If I add milk, I also tend to add sugar to me tea.  I like black teas, like English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast or Earl Grey.   

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

When I went to England for a wedding, I was introduced to milk in tea.   If I add milk, I also tend to add sugar to me tea.  I like black teas, like English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast or Earl Grey.   

I like just touch of milk in Earl Grey, Chai (which always has some milk) and many other black teas. I find black tea has a "harder" /stronger "dark"  taste on my palate. Yes, probably a British carryover..  I grew up tasked to make a pot of tea for us kids with orange pekoe tea and enough milk to dilute the caffeine for us kids.

Green tea does not require milk (to me) because is a vegetative taste..which is why some people haven't learned how to like it. It tastes "healthier" to me.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

My tea routine has changed a bit while I transition to warmer weather.  First cup and a half are hot, then I use the cold 1/2 cup to augment the next cup, which goes over ice.

It will be mostly iced tea from June until September.

Do you ever make sun tea?  That is always fun and seems to taste different from the slow, cooler, steeping process.   My grandmother would boil the water and dissolve a metric crapton of sugar in it, then pour that over the teas bags.  I grew up in a Lipton tea family.

BTW, did you know Sir Lipton, or maybe it was Lord Lipton, funded a lot of the English challengers for the America's Cup sailing trophy back in the day?  Many of his boats were named Shamrock....

https://www.americascup.com/history/24_THE-LIPTON-ERA-BEGINS

https://www.americascup.com/history/27_THE-WORLD-AT-WAR-AND-LIPTON-COMES-CLOSE

https://www.americascup.com/history/28_LIPTONS-LAST-HURRAH-AND-THE-FIRST-OF-THE-J-CLASS

41 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I grew up in a Lipton tea family.

I never did make sun tea, I didn't like tea as a youngster.

I do keep Lipton tea around, I actually got some delivered today with the groceries.  Sometimes I don't want to fuss with tea gear if I am just needing a quick cup of iced tea when about out the door.  I repurposed an empty Harney tea tin for it, and labeled it "cheap diner tea", which tastes just right in a diner.  

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I never did make sun tea, I didn't like tea as a youngster.

I do keep Lipton tea around, I actually got some delivered today with the groceries.  Sometimes I don't want to fuss with tea gear if I am just needing a quick cup of iced tea when about out the door.  I repurposed an empty Harney tea tin for it, and labeled it "cheap diner tea", which tastes just right in a diner.  

In the South diner tea is usually the very best.   I make the tea for big Scout events.  10 - 15 gallons of tea daily.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

That's a great option too.

I agree.  Ladies out exercising are like the ladies working out in the gym - likely to be perv-worthy.   RG knows that but hates exercising.  Jsharr can learn from us and start exercising.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Do you ever make sun tea?  That is always fun and seems to taste different from the slow, cooler, steeping process.   My grandmother would boil the water and dissolve a metric crapton of sugar in it, then pour that over the teas bags.  I grew up in a Lipton tea family.

BTW, did you know Sir Lipton, or maybe it was Lord Lipton, funded a lot of the English challengers for the America's Cup sailing trophy back in the day?  Many of his boats were named Shamrock....

https://www.americascup.com/history/28_LIPTONS-LAST-HURRAH-AND-THE-FIRST-OF-THE-J-CLASS

We used to make sun tea, but have not for a while here in Phoenix.  In Minnesota we/I have a sun tea jar that I use most of the summer.  I use Luzianne tea in it.  Here in Phoenix I make iced tea with a Mr Coffee iced tea maker I got as a gift years ago.  4 Luzianne tea bags, and 10 packs of Equal .  I do have some Earl Grey tea for occasional use, and some peppermint tea (courtesy of the Sunshine Committee). 

• Heart 1

We used to make sun tea, but have not for a while here in Phoenix.  In Minnesota we/I have a sun tea jar that I use most of the summer.  I use Luzianne tea in it.  Here in Phoenix I make iced tea with a Mr Coffee iced tea maker I got as a gift years ago.  4 Luzianne tea bags, and 10 packs of Equal .  I do have some Earl Grey tea for occasional use, and some peppermint tea (courtesy of the Sunshine Committee). 

• Heart 1

• Heart 1