How often do you entertain?

Wilbur

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I think the last time was over 10 years ago.

I think I am about the same Kirby.  I really enjoy my own time without obligation and work and commitment and faked good times and stories and questions etc..  Company is a huge pain.  But you are all welcome any time. :)  Well, maybe not all.. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

By "entertain", I mean, to have people, whether friends, neighbours or family to your place of residence for a meal or drinks. :)  

I used to, but my friends have all become sticks-in-the-mud. There are things that a group of 12 (or so) of us have been doing for over 20 years...but it's gotten so that they don't even want to do anything - even when all they have to do is drive.

We used to do Snowshoe Volleyball every year. Then people started whining that they didn't want to host. Or, it was "oh, I have this or that going on....". My sister hosted last time and almost no one showed up. The following year I said "Ok, no one wants to host - Okayfine. I'll host. Have stuff going on? Fine. YOU pick the date". Went over like a fart in church.

We hosted a house concert. All folks had to do was friggin drive here. Invited 30 people. Eight showed up.

I'm done asking.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Further said:

Then we had kids.

In our case it would be easy to attribute it to that....but two of the six couples don't have kids, my kid is grown and never around and the other couple's kids are out of state.

11 minutes ago, Further said:

Now it's very seldom    :(, I miss it   :(:(

Okay, you're invited next time. But you'll be a damned no-show too. ;)

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I used to, but my friends have all become sticks-in-the-mud. There are things that a group of 12 (or so) of us have been doing for over 20 years...but it's gotten so that they don't even want to do anything - even when all they have to do is drive.

We used to do Snowshoe Volleyball every year. Then people started whining that they didn't want to host. Or, it was "oh, I have this or that going on....". My sister hosted last time and almost no one showed up. The following year I said "Ok, no one wants to host - Okayfine. I'll host. Have stuff going on? Fine. YOU pick the date". Went over like a fart in church.

We hosted a house concert. All folks had to do was friggin drive here. Invited 30 people. Eight showed up.

I'm done asking.

I wish I lived closer.  I'd love to drink your beer, eat your roasts, and pet your dog. :D

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Invited 30 people. Eight showed up.

This is what happens most often....I probably don't invite 30...but easily 20...I sometimes do a fall/Halloween thing and I use to do my personal Christmas on the weekend after New Year's...being closest to Epiphany or 12th Night...but the response is still the same...I can usually count on about 4 to 6 friends making it...however we end up being all ladies :)  I have 3 or 4 couples who are on the regular invite list...but they seem to be too busy... The first 3 or 4 years I was here I tried to do something 3 or 4 times between October and April...Summer is biking season...and I am not going to spend time cleaning house when I can ride my bike or walk...

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

This is what happens most often....I probably don't invite 30...

For the house concert, we threw it out there to everyone we could think of....and only eight showed up. I've been pretty bitter about it ever since. All folks had to do was get their lazy asses in the car.

This go-round, SO sponsored the guy's new album Kickstarter at the level to get a house concert and we donated it to a local nature conservancy so they could make money off it. (Win/win). 

Used to, fairly often, but always with the same couple.  Both he and she are accomplished cooks, and WoZeph and I both like to cook.  We do group meals on a regular basis, where each person is responsible to prepare their pre-determined course,(menu item is up to them) with a wine or sometimes beer to accompany the course.  That way we each get too enjoy wonderful 4 course meals without the pressure of having to prepare everything yourself.  

They moved away to Victoria last week, so we likely won't entertain at all this summer.  :(

I really enjoy the social aspect of sailing.  In particular, the marina environment or at anchor.  Impromptu get togethers with a few beer or wine are the order of the day where the catch of the day is often shared.  It is a very casual environment with low expectations though.  We have similar events of the street in the summer involving 4 or 5 houses.  It normally starts with an after lawn care beer and expands.