November Photos

Square Wheels

17 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Ok, SW, stop tormenting me and cough up the info!  Where are the falls?

He better hurry and tell you because it looks like that dam is shored up with a bunch of old pallets. I'd wouldn't mind getting a closer look at the back of that dam.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Merrimack river, Lowell, MA

Holy crap!  That's like Waterpower City!  Huge water power canal system and where the Francis water turbine was invented.  How cool is that! :nodhead:

(PS - Your pictures are showing improvement...)

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

What the heck is all this stuff? Is that safe?

It's designed to fail, at least that's what wikipedia says if you're inclined to believe what you find on wikipedia...

"The dam itself, which was built twenty years earlier, was lengthened at that time, diverting the entire Merrimack (during periods of lower flow) into the two canal system entrances above it. It is a stone dam topped with wooden flashboards – a system still used on this dam today. The level of the water is regulated by the flashboards and the metal pins that hold them back. When there is too much water going over the top of the dam, the pins bend backwards, releasing the boards, and the outflow of the dam is increased."

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

On 11/5/2017 at 8:48 AM, Square Wheels said:

I thought I'd try starting a monthly photo thread.  There are lots of picture people here, so it might be fun.

886A4589.JPG

886A4586.JPG

886A4572.JPG

886A4573.JPG

886A4571.JPG

I really like the last photo. You should rework the file in adobe camera raw. I tweaked the jpg as best I could

886A4571.JPG.36e9b7779304448ab815f5f997d137b8.JPG

• Heart 2