Do you remember soda fountains?

Randomguy

Yes!!  My neighborhood had a lot of little stores that sold newspapers, candy, comic books and had a soda fountain.  You could get fancy ice cream drinks, but the best options were an egg cream (no egg included) or a lime rickey (no gin included).  They also had a big stack of doughy pretzels all hooked on a big stick.  The stores had the best smells you could imagine and nothing that has ever been duplicated. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Yes.  School clothes shopping mom would take us to Woolworths for lunch at the soda fountain counter.  I have a friend that opened a pharmacy 20 years ago.  He found a soda fountain counter and had it installed in his small town store before he opened.  He retired and closed the store 2 years ago.

• Confused 1

Up until about 10 years ago, the company that bought the old Woolworths store in St Augustine, retained the soda fountain. Wasn't on St George St (the main tourist pedestrian street), but the old downtown across the park from the Cathedral. Was a regular refreshment stop. Sadly, it sold and is a totally different business now with the soda fountain/lunch bar gone.

OK, I went to this one a few years ago. Still has the soda bar, is operational today, and has a very rich history. Currently, the Five & Dine in downtown Rock Hill, SC. It was formerly McCroys and in 1961 when a group of black college students, known as the Freedom Nine, staged a sit-in protesting segregation in the all white soda fountain. Today they are honored guest as they occasionally come in for a meal. Those are the original refurbished chairs at the fountain.

With it in continuing operation today, it is just a couple 4 or 5 blocks off the Interstate in old downtown Rock Hill when heading south from Charlotte, NC...so might be a good pull off and avoid the fast restaurants. I do something similar in Savannah, as my BIL lives in Rock Hill - and is usually noon in Savanah as I pass. Why eat at McDonalds when there are other choices. 

five n dine.jpg

• Heart 4

7 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

OK, I went to this one a few years ago. Still has the soda bar, is operational today, and has a very rich history. Currently, the Five & Dine in downtown Rock Hill, SC. It was formerly McCroys and in 1961 when a group of black college students, known as the Freedom Nine, staged a sit-in protesting segregation in the all white soda fountain. Today they are honored guest as they occasionally come in for a meal. Those are the original refurbished chairs at the fountain.

five n dine.jpg

History 

I also remember the lunch counter and soda fountain at Whoolworths as a kid but we never went there.  There was one  in an old pharmacy in the downtown area of my city up through the mid 90's and although I drove by the place daily never went inside...  

Ive had drinks from one before though.  @Old#7 & @Razors Edge Isnt there an ice cream parlor in old town Alexandria that had/has one?  I recall sitting there with my kids when they were little (15 years ago) getting drinks in the big fancy cups.

When I was in high school in the last '60's, there was a Woolworth's with a great soda fountain and cheap prices. When we didn't have sports or clubs after school, a bunch of us would go there: 10 cents for a large soft drink, 25 cents for a banana split or ice cream soda, 15 cents for pie or cake!  We were usually lucky if we had a dime for Coke!

A couple years ago, someone on the private "I grew up in Brooklyn Park [Maryland]" Facebook page posted this menu from that Woolworth's from the time I stopped there:

1321605548_WoolworthMenuLate60s.jpg.b1eebff8955ba4161f5e51d608cd6154.jpg

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I remember a few small town restaurants that had the old Hamilton Beach milkshake machines. 

Steak and Shake may still have or a newer brand. At least they whip the shake with the mixer rather than opening a valve and let it plop out.

7 hours ago, MickinMD said:

When I was in high school in the last '60's, there was a Woolworth's with a great soda fountain and cheap prices. When we didn't have sports or clubs after school, a bunch of us would go there: 10 cents for a large soft drink, 25 cents for a banana split or ice cream soda, 15 cents for pie or cake!  We were usually lucky if we had a dime for Coke!

A couple years ago, someone on the private "I grew up in Brooklyn Park [Maryland]" Facebook page posted this menu from that Woolworth's from the time I stopped there:

1321605548_WoolworthMenuLate60s.jpg.b1eebff8955ba4161f5e51d608cd6154.jpg

I love ham salad!