Let's talk toilets

petitepedal

yea, a potty mouth thread.

I have American Standard from Lowes.  Tall,  oval slow close seat. It has problems in the flusher.  Sometimes something doesn't seat and water simply flows through without filling the tank.  I don't know if the toilet is to blame as it went through the well failure when my pipes filled with silt and the mechanism may have been damaged.

I like it though.

...the jetflush, pressure toilet for home use is what I have used for the past 20 years.

They put the poop on an express rocket to the treatment plant.  It's sooo satisfying listening to your poop getting launched. :nodhead:

I've had them for so long that I had to replace the pressure tank units after about 15 years of trouble free service, and they seem to be able to work well using little water per flush.  Jetflush...they sell them at the Home Depot.

I drive past the Kohler factory every day 

What you need to do is become friends with someone who lives near the factory and have them pick one up when Kohler company has their garage sale. And the little town that I live in has one of the largest toilet seat manufacturer around. 

• Heart 2

I have a special affection for the traditional Turkish lavatory, the "hole in the ground" one.

Once in Greece, I  had taken up the position when I heard a swishing noise that came increasingly closer. An old lady, dressed all in black came into view using the old-type witches broom, and I was obliged to raise one foot and then the other as she swept things into apple pie order.

It was kind of endearing. :)

1 hour ago, onbike1939 said:

I have a special affection for the traditional Turkish lavatory, the "hole in the ground" one.

Once in Greece, I  had taken up the position when I heard a swishing noise that came increasingly closer. An old lady, dressed all in black came into view using the old-type witches broom, and I was obliged to raise one foot and then the other as she swept things into apple pie order.

It was kind of endearing. :)

Is anyone else weirded out by this, or is it just me and my sleepy brain?

7 hours ago, BR46 said:

What you need to do is become friends with someone who lives near the factory and have them pick one up when Kohler company has their garage sale. And the little town that I live in has one of the largest toilet seat manufacturer around. 

But Petite doesn’t need a large toilet seat, she said her @ss is getting smaller.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BR46 said:

There's an asshole of the nation joke in here somewhere.  I just know it.

I had (have) American Standard Cadet model in the hall bath and not too happy with it over the years. Lets just it wouldn't handle the load and embarrassing grabbing a plunger when guest use it. I think the problem, by design, was made for both 4" home and 3" mobile home plumbing with the 3" outlet at the base a straight reduction from 4" rather than sloping and waste would lodge on that ledge. Needed to change the master bath after wife's knee surgery and got the elevated 'chair height'. With my view of AS from the other bath, installed a Kohler. I had to take it out about 5 times as it leaked with every flush, putting new and different variety rings in all without success. Even called a plumber (who didn't charge me) who reviewed everything I had done - and would do the same. Finally, noting the flooding typically appeared out the front, took the toilet back out, turned it upside down and inspected the underside. While there was no obvious crack when looked previously, close flashlight inspection in full daylight examination found a small hairline crack in the seam where the bowl and trap connect. Back to Lowes it went. Home Depot had an American Standard Cadet on sale so got that. Installation was different but easier and for some reason on the same floor didn't require the shimming that the Kohler did (which on the initial install without shims may have stressed it to create that hairline crack. While the same model as in the other bath, AS has made huge advances over the decade. The 4 to 3" transition now slopes, and the flushing suction action is excellent with the default water saving half flush (hold handle down for full). Their marketing of full water action cleaning deposits from bowl works well, and trust me...it has been well tested.

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

1BDDD5B4-CD80-42C2-A54B-B056ED6610EF.thumb.jpeg.7cbca169614cb99df9b56aee5a0b8fe3.jpeg

That was my alternate choice. It, like the Kohler, had a special flush valve design, while the Cadet model has the more traditional flush valve. But what the Cadet and Standard (and Kohler) have in common is the trapway greater than the traditional 2". Avoid the economy house brand toilets and they maintain the 2" trapway. Look for something with the 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 trapway.

47 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Gasket job is less expensive...handyman didn't want to touch it because the bolts have rusted in pretty good since 1976....fear of breaking toilet....I have looked for a model number and cannot find one...and the kits do say "does not fit some gerber models" Yay me.....

If you break the toilet, you have to replace it and you are out just a little more.  To me, it would be a cheap gamble and if you lose, you are replacing the toilet anyways which you are looking at.

Sounds like your handyman is just lazy and doesn't want to mess with it.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I was doing a photo shoot of a house that had one of those automated toilets. Caught me by surprise as reached in to close the door so out of the photo, and suddenly, the motion set it of with the lid raising and deodorizing spray. While they were not home, didn’t use it. They shut the water off while on vacation... and I always make a pit stop at a public restroom before arriving at homes for photo shoots.

12 hours ago, BR46 said:

I’ve been there a few times. 

I think buying and replacing a new toilet is easy and fun. You can get a good model for just under a hundred bucks. The hardest part of the whole deal is the caulking at the end -- if you're not steady of hand. Plus you get a NEW shitter and the grime factor has been removed -- until the next guy slops his urine down the side of the bowl. Probably the result of drunkenness or the dreaded split stream scenario. Maybe both.