Do you know CPR?

Prophet Zacharia

I know CPR, I was certified for over 20+ years, until I let it run out last year.. I do happen to have an AED that I picked up a year ago from the storage unit from work.. It was laying there not being used for three years. Figured it would be better use in my truck for emergencies then collecting dust

I wore an AED vest for two months this summer, I hated it. The out of pocket cost was over $1,200 for the rental. They wanted to surgically implant a defibrillator in my chest. I told them no.  I used to get certified at CPR for work but they change safety directors and the new one didn’t see any value in it.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I finally let my CPR certificate lapse.  I had a friend at work who had an internal defibrillator.  It's quite a shock when it goes off at work and everyone rushes around in circles.

The vest I wore gave a message telling people to stand back and not to touch me. I would guess the implanted ones don’t do that. Can you imagine someone having a cardiac arrest during sex and they have one of those?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I wore an AED vest for two months this summer, I hated it. The out of pocket cost was over $1,200 for the rental. They wanted to surgically implant a defibrillator in my chest. I told them no.  I used to get certified at CPR for work but they change safety directors and the new one didn’t see any value in it.

It used to be optional at work and I took the class for a few years, then I think they stopped doing it.  We have AEDs in the hallways at work.  Are they a 1:1 replacement for CPR?  

16 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Since both of our problems were blockages, I'm not sure if an AED would be much use.

It certainly depends, but it could.  Acute ischemia could induce an arrhythmia that could kill before the ambulance could come. But if that arrhythmia is corrected, a trip to the cath lab could save heart muscle and prevent death.   

• Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

It used to be optional at work and I took the class for a few years, then I think they stopped doing it.  We have AEDs in the hallways at work.  Are they a 1:1 replacement for CPR?  

It is mandatory for Canadian pilots.  Who will fly the plane for the emergency descent while the pilot is back playing doctor?  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

It used to be I optional at work and I took the class for a few years, then I think they stopped doing it.  We have AEDs in the hallways at work. 

We had them at work and a company actually checked them regularly to make sure they would work if needed. Not like our emergency lighting that never worked. I think the heat and dirt in the forge shop killed them. A new company would come in and install all new emergency lighting and make all kind of promises and a year later during the next power failure none of them worked. A couple of them made a dim light like a candle.

14 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The vest I wore gave a message telling people to stand back and not to touch me. I would guess the implanted ones don’t do that. Can you imagine someone having a cardiac arrest during sex and they have one of those?

I don't believe that the implanted units are dangerous to others.  They come with leads that are snaked directly into the heart muscles and IMO they don't take that much power to work.  What shocks bystanders is that the user sometimes really looks surprised and distressed while they sort of slump into their chair and try to catch some breath.  My friend commented that he really wouldn't like to have that happen while he's driving.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

We had them at work and a company actually checked them regularly to make sure they would work if needed. Not like our emergency lighting that never worked. I think the heat and dirt in the forge shop killed them. A new company would come in and install all new emergency lighting and make all kind of promises and a year later during the next power failure none of them worked. A couple of them made a dim light like a candle.

Part of my job is to manage the AED’s & first aid cabinets. I outsourced it to Cintas.  My predecessor installed one AED for a three building campus, each building being three floors. I put an AED on each floor of each building. 

I am CPR certified. I let it lapse for many years but for the past 4 years have been certified.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Certified, current, and have used it— unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Me too. Back in the days before AEDs. I wonder if the outcome would have been better if we had one immediately available.

Me three.  Many decades ago, no AED nor safety shield.   It was gross & he didn’t make it. 

• Hugs 1

I took a renewal course for American Heart Assn. CPR every year I coached high school sports and, every so-many years, had to do a renewal course in American Red Cross Standard First Aid - where CPR was done slightly differently!

Fortunately, Maryland has Good Samaritan Laws so you can't be sued if your CPR renewal isn't up to date but you give because you know how and no one else is available.

Several years ago, the news media showed a video of a man who collapsed on a street in Connecticut and cars and pedestrians walked by and did nothing.

But, who could blame them?  The State Legislators representing the good citizens of Connecticut would NOT pass a Good Samaritan Law, so anyone attempting to help the man could be potentially sued just for turning him over, etc.

And such things have happened.  A man in California who risked his life to save the life of a woman by pulling her out of a burning car was later sued by that woman because she had back problems which he aggravated by saving her life and, somehow, she won her case in spite of the fact she'd have no living back to worry about if he hadn't saved her the only way he could!

Things like that have spurred many states to pass Good Samaritan Laws - including those surrounding and close to Maryland: Virginia, D.C., West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.  I think they all call them "Good Samaritan Laws" though they could also be called, "Anti-asshole, anti-no-character laws."

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The vest I wore gave a message telling people to stand back and not to touch me.

They probably would think you were infected with a virus...   :o

WoBG and I both know CPR, we certified for over 20+ years.  Every year or 2 (can't remember the cycle now) we got CRP training at work. 

Now I know why most people don't have an AED at home.  https://americanaed.com/products/aed-units  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Now I know why most people don't have an AED at home.  https://americanaed.com/products/aed-units  

I see those are Zoll, that’s the company I rented the life vest for two months for over $1,200 out of pocket. My insurance paid $10,000. When I was wearing that thing I kept getting ads online for the new affordable home unit AED for $1,000.00 A regular one wouldn’t do any good for people that live alone.

• Heart 1