Exploding spud

Airehead

27 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Einstein wanted a baked potato with dinner so I threw a couple In the oven. When the fish was done, I reached out to grab the first potato with a hot pad. It is a hot pad that the Sunshine Committee sent me but I digress. The potato exploded like a bomb. It scared the beejesus out of me. What a mess. 

did you forget to prick holes with fork before putting in oven? :( 

19 minutes ago, BR46 said:

So Einstein have mashed potatoes?

I gave him mine

15 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

did you forget to prick holes with fork before putting in oven? :( 

No

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Did you fork it before baking????

whlep, late by a minute again.  :rolleyes:

Yes

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Hard to really see but the brown and brownish white stuff is little pieces of potato. This is left after I tried to wipe it out. I stopped trying because the oven was way too hot. 

EFA85593-B7B7-4EBA-9A97-BE2146EC78E6.jpeg

Reminds me of the time my SIL thought you could reheat a hard boiled egg in the microwave!  :) 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Einstein wanted a baked potato with dinner so I threw a couple In the oven. When the fish was done, I reached out to grab the first potato with a hot pad. It is a hot pad that the Sunshine Committee sent me but I digress. The potato exploded like a bomb. It scared the beejesus out of me. What a mess. 

There's a British Baked Potato where they cut some slits in the potato skin before baking so it doesn't explode.

I watch a lot of BBC Situation Comedies and they sometimes mention "Jacket Potatoes" so I looked them up. They are basically olive-oil-brushed baked potatoes baked long enough for the skins to get wrinkly (35 min at 400°F in the video below), then slit open along the top and covered with various toppings like butter and cheddar, baked beans, chili, smoked fish and mayo, sour cream and cheese, and bacon.  They're supposedly a big thing in pubs.

They cut an X in each end of the potato or a bunch of knive cuts throughout before baking so it doesn't explode!

I always just cut a long slit into the potato.   Not sure who told me to do that... probably my mother??

I used the Google and found this...

Before baking potatoes, most people poke a few holes in the skin to vent enough steam to prevent them from bursting. But slicing instead of poking allows more steam to escape, resulting in fluffier potatoes that will be easier to cut open.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I always just cut a long slit into the potato.   Not sure who told me to do that... probably my mother??

I used the Google and found this...

Before baking potatoes, most people poke a few holes in the skin to vent enough steam to prevent them from bursting. But slicing instead of poking allows more steam to escape, resulting in fluffier potatoes that will be easier to cut open.

I plan to use the slit method moving forward. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

I like to live dangerously, I never poke holes or cut a slit in a potato before baking. So far so good.

Back in the sixties there was a popular cake called a confetti cake. My mom’s cousin was baking one and had invited us over for dinner. She had a gas stove. When she opened the oven to take the cake out the cake exploded in a ball of fire. She was ok but never made that cake again.

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I see a potential market for potato pressure relief valves that you stick into the vegi like one of those juicer taps you stick into an orange.

With your inspiration, @bikeman564™'s engineering prowess, and my marketing skills, we'll make millions.  Now to get it to market before Ronco does.  Let's get busy.

• Heart 2

36 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I would suggest offering a DeLuxe Model featuring the blue safety string:

Capture.JPG.950e7d8de7eea59989ddcc7e68315cce.JPG

This is a great idea, as long as you dontt expect a royalty.  If so our lawyer will claim it was our crack engineer's idea.

• Heart 2