Waffle update

Dirtyhip

Does he actually play with the flopping fish.

I found that a laser penlight dancing around the floor and walls gives cats lots of exercise.

On the other hand, it just make my sister's stupid pug/beagle Thomas grab a rubber bone and whine until I play tug of war with him.

He tries to pin my arm down and here are the healing scratches above my wrist from the claws he likes to dig into me.

At least the cats have retractable claws.

20230115_235142_crop_900p.jpg.6dae7757681f53c6ffb011db7cc17fd1.jpg

15 hours ago, Shu Fang said:

Those ears are insanely cute!

Couch

He thanks you for that.  This is the coolest kitty I have ever met.  I wonder what his story was before we met him.  Now, he has a new exciting life in a real home.  By someone that even takes his cats when he travels.  This story has a happy ending.

• Awesome 1

This is a very polite kitty.  When he was with me, he was so good.   He really liked that towel spot and he knew I liked him to do that. Amazing, really.  He jumped on the table and the counter, once.  I picked him up and put him down.   He never soiled our house and turns out that he just needed a litter box. 

The cat was never in the house longer than about 4 hours.  All he did here was eat, nap, and get attention.  He likes attention.  

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I've been completely gutted this weekend.  I miss that cat.  He is so cool.  

It's amazing how our animal companions can worm their ways into our hearts, but you did a very good thing.  And when you want to take your van away  for weeks, you'll know he's not lonely and that he's well looked after.   The fact it was a sacrifice is what makes it such a generous and loving act.

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have been so sad.  I could not figure what was wrong with me the last three days.  I miss him terribly.  

Coolest cat I even met.  His new owner knows waht a gem he is.  I didn't have time for him right now, but he became a part of my routine.  I think I like cats now.  

Two years is a long time to wait.  That is what HODH said for pet timeframe.   I am struggling.  I was fine in my empty home before waffle.  Not feeling so fine the last couple of days.

Girl kitten, never allowed out of the house.  Train them (or let them train you) early.  Spend lots of time talking with them and playing new games.  It is possible to teach a cat to fetch a thrown ball of paper or foil or a puff ball.  One more litter box than number of cats, cleaned often.  Dry food most of the time, not from an unsupervised eat all you want buffet unless you like fat cats.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Girl kitten, never allowed out of the house.  Train them (or let them train you) early.  Spend lots of time talking with them and playing new games.  It is possible to teach a cat to fetch a thrown ball of paper or foil or a puff ball.  One more litter box than number of cats, cleaned often.  Dry food most of the time, not from an unsupervised eat all you want buffet unless you like fat cats.

Well, he is gone, so no responsibilities here.  :(

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Well, he is gone, so no responsibilities here.  :(

That was the cool thing about cats.  Yes, they rub their cheeks everywhere and get things grimy, they scratch nearly everything you own with their claws, but their responsibility level is much lower than a dog.  They never need a bath (but you should give them one anyhow), they never need a walk, it's easy to get self feeders when you go away for a weekend.

21 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am struggling.  I was fine in my empty home before waffle.  Not feeling so fine the last couple of days.

We have had 2 dogs living with us for decades.  It would be sooooo different without them here.  :(

You did a wonderful thing being the foster human for Waffle.  

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I want a dog.  I am so ready. 

You paid it forward.   A dog will find you.  :)

Dogs seem to find us too.  

After one of our dogs pass... it's like a miracle, in a few months or less a rescue dog finds there way into our home.

For while we had one dog.   Sam (Great Dane / German Shepard mix) needed to have both rear knees repaired.  I was still working... WoBG drove Sam to the vet and I met them there.  We made the arrangements to have the first knee fixed.  One thing was, Sam needed to take it easy for 6 weeks to allow the knee to heal.  The operation was in 1 week.   (both knees got fixed)

Right before we left one of the assistants there knew we took in rescue dogs.  She tells us about a dog they have had for a few months, and nobody wanted him.  WoBG tells the assistant;  'No we can't take the dog after Sam's operation he will need to rest, and a new dog in the home, that won't happen.'  They left and  I stayed to pay the bill.    I asked... Can I see the dog?

They bring the dog (a Rottweiler mix) out.   He sits down, and his head just droops down a LOT.  OMG that was a sad dog.   I picked up his head and told him... Looks like you are coming home with me.  I just cound not leave the dog there. 

I got him home.  WoBG was out in the yard with Sam, and Barkley lets out a big growl and barked at WoBG.   He was a scared and timid dog for a few weeks.   We named him Barkley, because except for that first bark at WoBG, he never made a noise.  

Sam (on the left and 126 pounds) and Barkley (82 pounds) got along just fine.    Barkley was a great dog.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a752cc2148102d40d4a6635733e3d3a1.jpeg

• Hugs 3

11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

You paid it forward.   A dog will find you.  :)

Dogs seem to find us too.  

After one of our dogs pass... it's like a miracle, in a few months or less a rescue dog finds there way into our home.

For while we had one dog.   Sam (Great Dane / German Shepard mix) needed to have both rear knees repaired.  I was still working... WoBG drove Sam to the vet and I met them there.  We made the arrangements to have the first knee fixed.  One thing was, Sam needed to take it easy for 6 weeks to allow the knee to heal.  The operation was in 1 week.   (both knees got fixed)

Right before we left one of the assistants there knew we took in rescue dogs.  She tells us about a dog they have had for a few months, and nobody wanted him.  WoBG tells the assistant;  'No we can't take the dog after Sam's operation he will need to rest, and a new dog in the home, that won't happen.'  They left and  I stayed to pay the bill.    I asked... Can I see the dog?

They bring the dog (a Rottweiler mix) out.   He sits down, and his head just droops down a LOT.  OMG that was a sad dog.   I picked up his head and told him... Looks like you are coming home with me.  I just cound not leave the dog there. 

I got him home.  WoBG was out in the yard with Sam, and Barkley lets out a big growl and barked at WoBG.   He was a scared and timid dog for a few weeks.   We named him Barkley, because except for that first bark at WoBG, he never made a noise.  

Sam (on the left and 126 pounds) and Barkley (82 pounds) got along just fine.    Barkley was a great dog.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a752cc2148102d40d4a6635733e3d3a1.jpeg

I am haping thos doean't lead to a fight but I want a dog really bad.  I have waited for over a decade.  The cat brought the scab to the surface

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am haping thos doean't lead to a fight but I want a dog really bad. 

I knew WoBG had just said no to the people at the vet about the dog.  I just had to see the dog.  And that was all it took.   

I figured she may be upset...  but soon after Barkley was home with us... she knew it was a good thing to do.  

Maybe a stray dog could just happen to wander into your yard... :whistle:    (in a few weeks...  timing is everything) 

• Heart 1

This little guy lived with me for 20 years, and was outside for about a year before that. 

But DH should be aware that not every cat has Waffle's wonderful personality.  This guy never let me pet his tummy, and although he was a wonderful companion who frequently made me laugh, he was not the easiest cat.

P1010023_zps95e433e0.jpg

• Heart 1

Just now, Kirby said:

This little guy lived with me for 20 years, and was outside for about a year before that. 

But DH should be aware that not every cat has Waffle's wonderful personality.  This guy never let me pet his tummy, and although he was a wonderful companion who frequently made me laugh, he was not the easiest cat.

P1010023_zps95e433e0.jpg

I know he was super special.  

House is very silent right now.  The animal subject got tense last night.  I don't even know what to say.

• Hugs 2

I can see both sides of the argument.  Even though I have had a cat for all but a few weeks for over 3 decades, I can understand that it's a big responsibility too. I would never get rid of my current cat but it's notable how much a pet sitter adds to the cost of a trip, nevermind vet bills or other incidentals such as anti-allergy prescription foods.  Thinking about potential "long trips" after retirement are definitely complicated by not wanting to leave the cat alone with just visits from a pet sitter for weeks at a time. Dogs do give you more freedom in that regard if your trips are driving trips and they can come along, but they're still a responsibility

But if you keep your heart open, I'll bet that sometime before 2 years, you'll find the right dog for you - or the right dog will likely find you.

9 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I can see both sides of the argument.  Even though I have had a cat for all but a few weeks for over 3 decades, I can understand that it's a big responsibility too. I would never get rid of my current cat but it's notable how much a pet sitter adds to the cost of a trip, nevermind vet bills or other incidentals such as anti-allergy prescription foods.  Thinking about potential "long trips" after retirement are definitely complicated by not wanting to leave the cat alone with just visits from a pet sitter for weeks at a time. Dogs do give you more freedom in that regard if your trips are driving trips and they can come along, but they're still a responsibility

But if you keep your heart open, I'll bet that sometime before 2 years, you'll find the right dog for you - or the right dog will likely find you.

Yep. There are an insane level of "pros" to pet ownership, but we need to be honest about the potential "cons".  To me, there are two that stand out - 1) the not-too-insignificant challenge they present for travel/vacations (mainly finding good coverage and the $$$ associated), and 2) topmost in any conversation, they only live a decade or two, so there will be HUGE loss somewhere in the journey.

From a day to day perspective, we get sooooooo much great stuff from our pup (and past pups and kitties), but we do spend a lot of time structuring our days and plans around making sure she is safe and cared for 24/7/365.  They aren't quite on the level of children, but they are pretty much fully dependent on us for most things.

• Thank You 1
  • Hugs 1

44 minutes ago, Kirby said:

He had a little "Bucky" in him!

dde5d290589e013bd458005056a9545d

• Haha 2

When I was a kid in the country, the animals lived a completely different life. The cats lived in the barn and the dogs pretty much lived everywhere. The dogs were more pet like than the cats but you could handle all the animals easy enough. We fed them all. The dogs were pack animals, though. It was necessary for their happiness to live in a group. We were part of that group.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

2) topmost in any conversation, they only live a decade or two, so there will be HUGE loss somewhere in the journey.

Yeah... when they die, that's tough. 

I paid $1700+ dollars each for 2 knee surgeries for Sam and more vet bills for the other dogs.

Then again,  I still have decades of memories of good times with our dogs.   My buddies...  family members...  have been (and are) worth the time, effort, and cost.  

• Hugs 2