The cutaway van

Dirtyhip

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The stats:

4182 miles

3 states

Zero camp use fees

Two stolen camp showers

Too many ride zones to count Twenty or more? 

Largest tree seen: Boyscout tree in Jedediah

52 days in the camper

Coolest animal encounter: riding paddle boards with harbor seals.

Nicest city park: Sequoia park in Eureka

Best roadside attraction for the value: The Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz. 

Worst roadside attraction for the value: The Trees of Mystery.

Best dinner: Anthony's in Bellingham

Worst dinner: Tams Chinese in Pacifica

Biggest problem with the van: Mice. They want to come on board too. 

Inspirations: hiking, and being a better rider. 

Pics to come after I clean and unpack. 

Great summer. Life-changing.

My friend who lives in a 24 foot motorhome and is currently working in Polebridge Montana just had some chipmunks invade her space.  She finally go them out after trying all sorts of things from streaming predator sounds inside and playing chipmunk sounds outside.  They were so small they would escape from the small have a heart type traps she was using.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

My friend who lives in a 24 foot motorhome and is currently working in Polebridge Montana just had some chipmunks invade her space.  She finally go them out after trying all sorts of things from streaming predator sounds inside and playing chipmunk sounds outside.  They were so small they would escape from the small have a heart type traps she was using.

we dont have hearts.  

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2023 at 1:18 PM, Dirtyhip said:

The stats:

4182 miles

3 states

Zero camp use fees

Two stolen camp showers

Too many ride zones to count Twenty or more? 

Largest tree seen: Boyscout tree in Jedediah

52 days in the camper

Coolest animal encounter: riding paddle boards with harbor seals.

Nicest city park: Sequoia park in Eureka

Best roadside attraction for the value: The Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz. 

Worst roadside attraction for the value: The Trees of Mystery.

Best dinner: Anthony's in Bellingham

Worst dinner: Tams Chinese in Pacifica

Biggest problem with the van: Mice. They want to come on board too. 

Inspirations: hiking, and being a better rider. 

Pics to come after I clean and unpack. 

Great summer. Life-changing.

Mice would sure be a problem.  I cannot wait for the pictures. 

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Make sure that your solar panels are bolted down tight.  We were two cars behind a RV when a solar panel flew off the roof and landed just in front of the car in front of me. We both ran over it. It was only going 55 mph and the winds were calm.

Cmon, you think you are dealing with amateurs?  :D

Thanks, BTW.  YES!  Agreed.  Remember when we pulled them all back down before we hit the road, because Mr. wanted them even more stout.  4600 miles so far with zero issues.  He and I will do an annual tightening/bolt check on those suckers.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1

Mice will really have a go at the camper during the winter.  I live in the woods and they get into my cars through the cabin air intakes.  They chew their way through the air filter and just walk in.  I'm going to try a metal filter this fall made from a gimicky electrostatic filter.

Personally I'd set traps in the camper.  I use these around the house in places where the cats can't be endangered.  Amazon.com : VEFEFI Mouse Traps 12-Pack - for House Indoor Outdoor, Small Mice Traps for House Indoor, Reusable Mousetrap Quick Effective Mouse Catcher for Home : Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Mice will really have a go at the camper during the winter.  I live in the woods and they get into my cars through the cabin air intakes.  They chew their way through the air filter and just walk in.  I'm going to try a metal filter this fall made from a gimicky electrostatic filter.

Personally I'd set traps in the camper.  I use these around the house in places where the cats can't be endangered.  Amazon.com : VEFEFI Mouse Traps 12-Pack - for House Indoor Outdoor, Small Mice Traps for House Indoor, Reusable Mousetrap Quick Effective Mouse Catcher for Home : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Yes, and a whole bunch of bars of irish spring bars.  I heard they hate the smell.  I don't mind it.  .  

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

I don’t know about Irish Spring but I can tell you they like to snack on ivory bar soap.

Maybe if I stack irish spring to the roof of the van, where there is no other place for mice to be?  :D

Seriously though, there is always something to worry about in life.  Total bummer stuff.

• Heart 2

It may be worth putting a few of these around your van.  They'll work no matter how cold it gets.  Leaves you the option of releasing them far away if you want to.

The good side may be that the mice are drawn the food in the traps instead of the interior of the van.  The bad side is the mice may be drawn to the food in the traps, skip the traps, and you have more mice than otherwise skulking around the van.

Minnow trap mouse trap.

14 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It may be worth putting a few of these around your van.  They'll work no matter how cold it gets.  Leaves you the option of releasing them far away if you want to.

The good side may be that the mice are drawn the food in the traps instead of the interior of the van.  The bad side is the mice may be drawn to the food in the traps, skip the traps, and you have more mice than otherwise skulking around the van.

Minnow trap mouse trap.

I agree.  I think we attracted them in the van with the PB in the trap.  It's a ghost town now.  cleaned, mopped, scrubbed.  There is no food to draw them.  My house doesn't seem to have a ton if mice.  I have squirrels.  Not sure what is worse.  

Some of the campground, lake parking, etc. is full of mice.  Even the chippies were another level.  One was sitting upright at the foot of our stairs, like, well...feed me. 

BTW, everything bagels are a terrible idea in a van.  Those seeds are everywhere.  HAHA

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/24/2023 at 9:05 AM, Dirtyhip said:

Yes, and a whole bunch of bars of irish spring bars.  I heard they hate the smell.  I don't mind it.  .  

I was watching a car "shop" show, and they installed ultrasonic pest deterrents around their multi-thousand sq ft garage.  Like standalone stereo "tweeters" editing a super high pitch.  They were powered, but you would likely have enough juice to easily run those off the solar/batteries.

• Heart 1

• Kzoo unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

A new update for Maxine.  A new diesel heater has been installed.  It was warm and toasty in there after we fired it up.  

I forgot to take pics.  We had toi drop the gas tank for this job.  It came out great.   Next up are new shocks.  We are contemplating taking it somewhere when we pick up my bike.  

Good times.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

A new update for Maxine.  A new diesel heater has been installed.  It was warm and toasty in there after we fired it up.  

I forgot to take pics.  We had toi drop the gas tank for this job.  It came out great.   Next up are new shocks.  We are contemplating taking it somewhere when we pick up my bike.  

Good times.

After all the work you did?!  Shocks are EASY!

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Why new shocks and new heater, and why diesel?

How close are you to an ideal build?

The build is completely done.   We went with diesel because the fuel is radily available in the rig and the system is pretty cheap to install.  Lots of labor but the parts were not bad.  Cheap Chinese diesel heaters work fine.

The van is totally done.  We are adding a pantry, and I will post pics of that and we consider this a complete build now.

New shocks because it needed them.  The things is sponging out in a bad way.  Shocks are a part of maintenance like brakes and tires.

I also added a new Berkey filter.  It has water filtration in the van but I wanted more.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

It kinda freaks me out.  My husband was not at all concerned.  Even if we had springs, he said you just buy a spring compressor.  :huh:

You don't even have to buy those, any auto parts store loans them for free.

That van shouldn't need one.  Should be coils up front and leafs in the back.  Having 2 jacks handy is a plus.