Do you ever miss the good old days of your youth on the playground?

Kirby

21 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

metal slides

asphalt playground

The play equipment apparatus was on the boys' side only.

Our playgrounds were segregated by gender and it wasn't just an imaginary line on a big grassy area.  Girls' playground was physically on one end of bldg. with its entrance. Boy's playground was on opposite end of bldg. with their own entrance. I went to a historic primary school that just turned 100 yrs. old last yr.  

Yup, all asphalt playgrounds. No grass.  It was an inner-city school.

• Like 1

Will Rogers Elementary in Edmond OK.  Lots of trees and hills and a creek close by if you could sneak off.

I recall jungle gym, slides, swings, but not sure.  We played lots of cops and robber type games.

The school was built on a steep hill and was designed so that was a large open area under the school that we could use for recess during inclement weather.  Lots of four square and a game with a parachute with handles.

The walk too and from school was fun.  We cut through fields that used to be part of  a farm.  Old water tower on top of a big stone base still stood and we could climb up and into it.  Rusty and scary, but tons of fun.

• Heart 2

Our elementary school playground was first just a street blocked off with temporary wooden barricades.

Then they built a new, big, parking lot for the church and that was it.

No swings, slides, monkey bars, etc.

To find those things, while not at school, we used to do a tour of playgrounds, even getting our parents to drop a bunch of us off several miles from home at the huge playground and pool at Federal Hill, overlooking Baltimore's Inner Harbor.  It's called Federal Hill because Union Troops set up a camp there during the Civil War - mainly to keep an eye on some secessionists in Baltimore who were angry Maryland didn't secede.  The Maryland State Anthem, sung to the same tune as "Oh Christmas Tree," has some elements of secessionism in it and one verse mentions the Union troops: "The traitor's heel is on thy shore, Maryland my Maryland. His torch is at thy temple door ..."  That verse is usually skipped when sung in public!

• Heart 2

46 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, there is nothing more fun than picking gravel from your body having experienced a centrifugal force lesson on a merry-go-round!  :) 

I loved the merry go round, specially when some big kid would take it as a challenge to spin it fast enough to throw all us little kids off.

Ours was surrounded by dirt though, but there were some rocks and roots.  

• Heart 2

Shoot CJ and I were running around the playground this past Saturday.  He tried to get me to go down the slide with him and I was afraid I’d get stuck in the chute!  Opa’s too big, you go.  C’mon, Opa C’mon….   

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I didn't have a playground.  I had the woods and farm, a bike, the Person sisters.

The same but without  the Person sisters. We did have snowmobiles, go kart, BB guns, shotguns and my favorite....a motorcycle. 

• Heart 3