MIL Rant….

ChrisL

Just now, Randomguy said:

Can you get rid of all the junkfood and watch her squirm?  I would tend to do what makes your place less desirable for her to visit on principle.

I’m on a very restrictive & monitored food plan to keep my diabetes in check & my wife is doing it with me.  Both of us have lost considerable weight and have improved many of our biomarkers.  This is the first time she’s been with us since our dietary changes so she feels compelled to show us how much she knows about healthy eating… And literally scarfed the only junk food we have in the house.  

WOChrisL picks up CJ from daycare on Mondays so she’ll need to buy him more snacks before she goes… 

• Heart 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m on a very restrictive & monitored food plan to keep my diabetes in check & my wife is doing it with me.  Both of us have lost considerable weight and have improved many of our biomarkers.  This is the first time she’s been with us since our dietary changes so she feels compelled to show us how much she knows about healthy eating… And literally scarfed the only junk food we have in the house.  

WOChrisL picks up CJ from daycare on Mondays so she’ll need to buy him more snacks before she goes… 

Maybe you can prepare meals for her using only the healthy foods she had you buy for her.  Offer no alternatives, as she loves her preferred diet. 

I never met this person, but I pretty much hate her on your behalf.  I am sorry you have to deal with her.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Maybe you can prepare meals for her using only the healthy foods she had you buy for her.  Offer no alternatives, as she loves her preferred diet. 

I never met this person, but I pretty much hate her on your behalf.  I am sorry you have to deal with her.

For the most part we are, that’s why she’s eating the only junk food we have.  I made chicken soup last night, separated the two pots & put noodles in one pot for my son & his GF.  After assuring us she’ll eat the more healthier option as she wants to lose 15 lbs this week she ate from their pot.  Then proceeded to tell me how wholesome & healthy noodles were with every bite. Jeebus STF up…

Tonight she’ll get pork chops, broccoli & riced cauliflower & mushrooms.  Or she’ll just whine for take out…

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, smudge said:

I forget: she's just visiting, right?? 

🤞🤞

Yeah, just a week. WOChrisL won’t allow her to stay longer.

For those keeping track, she’s back with the widow so at the moment is not demanding to live with us/in CA.  It’s so sad to see as well.  She puts him on speaker so we can hear him, the frustration in his voice and the dude just berates her & calls her stupid & such.  I mean I agree to a point but she is so desperate for male attention & someone to take care of her she puts up with it.   

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah, just a week. WOChrisL won’t allow her to stay longer.

For those keeping track, she’s back with the widow so at the moment is not demanding to live with us/in CA.  It’s so sad to see as well.  She puts him on speaker so we can hear him, the frustration in his voice and the dude just berates her & calls her stupid & such.  I mean I agree to a point but she is so desperate for male attention & someone to take care of her she puts up with it.   

Your MIL is a such strange, desperate person. I guess she also doesn't have hardly any woman friends. 'Cause that is the other way if a woman feels low, is to have 1-2 good female friends. Or they don't understand her crazy ways either but also put up with her.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Your MIL is a such strange, desperate person. I guess she also doesn't have hardly any woman friends.  

She has a pretty good group of female friends.  She belongs to bridge club and when she split from her last ex, we kept her in the general area as that’s where her social circle is.  

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Thank god I’m back to work today and can stay away from her…

So her latest thing is to tell us how healthy everything she eats is, what we should be eating and gave us a two page shopping list of numerous healthy food items that she eats now.  At every opportunity she tells me what I should be eating (almost always completely counter to a diabetic diet) and everything she sticks in her mouth is justified as healthy.  Oh and so far everything we bought for her has been untouched. 

So WOChrisl pulls me aside this morning, opens the trash and shows me about 6 popcycle wrappers and a bag of mini Oreos we keep for CJ in the trash….  Looks like CJ is screwed but healthy gramma got hers….

Buy more for her.  This is a self limiting problem.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

She has a pretty good group of female friends.  She belongs to bridge club and when she split from her last ex, we kept her in the general area as that’s where her social circle is.  

Yup. She needs to stay there, not move in you folks. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Can you imagine a world where you'd turn your nose up to a home-made meal like that??? INSANE!

The ChrisMiL isn’t known for her grace and charm as a houseguest. Tonight is the perfect opportunity for him to leave a few of those caramel onions available. Her sweet tooth will be on fire after dinner. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Hey @ChrisL we need a dinner update

I came home and relieved WOChrisL of CJ duty.  She already had that “shoot me now” look about her.  She made dinner, MIL actually helped while I entertained CJ.

MIL ate what was offered but turned her nose up to riced cauliflower.  When getting snacks for CJ she got some pre cut fruit which she also ate plus a few more popcycles.  No drama really but…

I made Brussel sprouts this morning to take for lunch.  I pulled them out of the oven & was letting them cool before putting them in a Tupperware.  MIL made a stink that she likes Brussel sprouts & she wanted some.  Not wanting to argue I just said take them if you want them but WOChrisL shut her down hard.  I’m taking you out for lunch and we have dinner plans, when are you going to eat them?!?!  Uh later… Leave Chris’ lunch alone!   

WOChrisL is stuck with her and is at her wits end with her already.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

WOChrisL is stuck with her and is at her wits end with her already.  

How many more days in her visit? 

Oh…and how about your roasted Brussel sprout treatment? Seasonings, balsamic, bacon…

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

How many more days in her visit? 

Oh…and how about your roasted Brussel sprout treatment? Seasonings, balsamic, bacon…

She leaves Sunday.  

EVOO, S&P and then I finish with Parmesan.  Bacon bits go well too but I didn’t have time to make bacon too.  I also like to put the individual leaves that fall off when I cut them in half.  They are like little Brussel sprout chips.  

• Heart 1
  • Yum 1

56 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

At my daughters in laws for dinner, my son works for a donut place & brought a box for dessert.  Healthy Gramma put down 3 big ass donuts…

I'm sure she might be on surface, entertaining to your in-laws who aren't aware of her annoying tactics known by yourself and wifey.  

• Heart 1

I'm sorry for WOChrisL.   Even if you understand her Mom obviously has some issues, it's still disappointing when WOChrisL has tried so hard and been so patient for so long.  I'm glad for her sake that she finally expressed her feelings, but that doesn't make it any easier for her.

And kudos to you for being such a supportive husband and realizing how hard this is for WOChrisL.  I know it helps her to know you're in  her corner and how much you try to avoid instigating trouble - no matter how much cause you have.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

34 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My favorite moment was Thursday.  I came home & WOChrisL had cooked a meal.  Not being an experienced cook, she barely made enough for two let alone 3.   The MIL comes in the kitchen & serves herself about 80% of the dish!  I tell WOChrisL I’ll eat left overs and she serves the rest.  Then MIL says, oh my eyes were bigger than my stomach & 1/2 her serving goes in the trash!?!! As usual she got hers, to hell with anyone else…

Either she got worse with age or she was always like this, even when raising her own children???   It's almost hard to believe her raising her babies. But then maybe your FIL backstopped with stuff she wasn't good at so long ago.  

How sad and frustrating for your wife.

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Either she got worse with age or she was always like this, even when raising her own children???   It's almost hard to believe her raising her babies. But then maybe your FIL backstopped with stuff she wasn't good at so long ago.  

How sad and frustrating for your wife.

I can’t speak for her early childhood but her parents divorced when she was 10 and so she basically cared for her 2 YO brother while she went out partying looking for the next meal ticket.  WOChrisL still has a lot of resentment for how she was then.

MIL has always been me first. I said this ages ago but she was the only grandmother I have ever known to yell at her 8 YO grandson for eating something she wanted.   My mom would give her grand kids anything they wanted as we would for CJ.  She seems disinterested any anyone who is not a potential husband. 

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

You have friends in low places don’t you? Who would care if another name was added to the do not fly list?

I thought you were going to match make her with LAJ

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Who does this?! :huh: I would have said something even if it causes friction. 

I kept my mouth shut to keep the temperature down but WOChrisL was just too dumbfounded to speak.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

12 hours ago, Kirby said:

My family still calls it a "Fonzie table" whenever anyone is sitting at something other than the main table, even though Henry Winkler wasn't playing Fonzie in that show. :nodhead:

I used to live in Mary's neighborhood in Mpls. Historic Lowry Hill. I walked around Lake of the Isles after work.

• Heart 1