What is your favorite tree?

Road Runner

We have lots of pines down here in the Southeast, but I hate pines.  They are okay to look at, but the pine needles, pine cones, pine sap and pine pollen are a freaking mess.  Those trees are always spewing something, year round.  :(

My favorite of all the trees I've ever had is the maple.  Great shade, very little maintenance, almost no crap spewing and the leaves all fall in about a two week period around Thanksgiving, making leaf raking much easier.  A great tree to have if you have to have one.   :) 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

But it is like a locust plague when at its peak!

All trees spew something in the spring.  At least all of the trees I have owned have.  That maple crap once a year is a zillion times better than nearly constant pine cone droppage.

1 minute ago, Wile E Coyote said:

All trees spew something in the spring.  At least all of the trees I have owned have.  That maple crap once a year is a zillion times better than nearly constant pine cone droppage.

No argument, pines do suck royally.  There were tons of pine branches out by the curb after our recent ice storm.

• Heart 2

The only trees I have left are two Dogwoods.  One looks a little on the sickly side and may not be long for this world.  They are very nice small trees and the blooms in the spring are beautiful.  Unfortunately, with all the wind we have in the spring, the Dogwood blooms don't last long.

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

No argument, pines do suck royally.  There were tons of pine branches out by the curb after our recent ice storm.

Ed Zachary.  I walk through my neighborhood and feel sorry for all the old people always out in their yards picking up limbs, cones and raking needles.  And at this time of the year, my black truck is yellow, thanks mostly to those pine trees that can't keep it in their pants.   :angry:

• Heart 2

I live in the middle of lots of trees of all sorts.  Brown leaves suck. Green leaves are nice but are destined to turn brown eventually.  Nuts, Helicopter seeds, and leaves are all gutter cloggers to the point that I took down almost all of my gutters.  Many of my trees behind the back yard were stripped and killed during the major snow storms of a few years ago.  I'm always having to decide when another 80 footer has to come down before it falls on my house.

24 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I HATE what happened to the mighty elm. Every town in America has an Elm Street.  

With the eventual distinction of the Ash, the Ginkgo seems to be the up and coming popular replacement choice for city trees these days. due to soil compaction/salt tolerance on parkways and such. IE, Ginkgo Lane. :)

• Heart 1

I love the redwoods of California. When I went to San Francisco I spent hours hiking north of the bay in that redwood forest. I also love the Cypress trees in the swamps. We go at least twice a year to either the ocala national forest or the corkscrew park in Naples for hiking and canoeing through.

Boardwalk-Sunrise1.jpg

• Heart 2

I live in an old neighborhood (mostly built in the 50's/60's).  Lots of homes have huge trees right up next their houses, within ten feet or so.  That is crazy.  I'm sure when those little oaks and pines were planted 50 years ago, the owners never even contemplated or worried at all about the possible long term consequences of having monster tree limbs hanging over their roofs or of the roots invading their foundations and underground sewage lines. 

I have several maple trees. Aside from the spinners, they drop branches like there is no tomorrow! I also have one by the driveway that drops sap in the winter when the temp gets in the 30s. Need to put some spiles into it and see if I can make a little syrup. 

Favorite tree in the yard is probably the ash. Nice tree, nice shade. It's young. I hope it survives the ash borers! 

5 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

My favorite of all the trees I've ever had is the maple.  Great shade, very little maintenance, almost no crap spewing and the leaves all fall in about a two week period around Thanksgiving, making leaf raking much easier.  A great tree to have if you have to have one.   :) 

Really?  Tell that to all the crappy baby maple trees the big ones try to create in my yard, and the helicopters they use to create them. :mellow:

Maple trees are the rabbits of the tree world, I tell ya.

• Heart 2