N+1

Parr8hed

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

You need to build a second garage..and you might want to pick up a second job too..it is just getting started :D:cheerleader:

Working on a shed now.  

2 hours ago, shotgun said:

Very nice! Did he PR? 

No, right at 6:30 for the 1600 which is what he's been running.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

How long are you going to keep that "donated" organ on the hearth?  I figured you sold all that stuff off by now to fund your bikes and softball lifestyle.

That is Emmy's rice bucket for building hand strength.  

1 hour ago, Indy said:

But did you warn him that it was a girl's bike?

Surprisingly enough, he doesn't care.  His Cx bike is a chick bike.  

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Very nice!  And he looks so happy.  Can't wait to see it with streamers.

that's not very aero.

54 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Got junior gears on it yet?

That's my next step.  We had his Cx bike with road taars worked out.  But this one has a 50 front chain ring.  The Cx had a 48.  So clearly I have some work to do.  I may see about converting the front end to a compact crank.  Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

That's my next step.  We had his Cx bike with road taars worked out.  But this one has a 50 front chain ring.  The Cx had a 48.  So clearly I have some work to do.  I may see about converting the front end to a compact crank.  Thoughts?

The roll-out has to be less than 26 feet. For 700x23 tires, a 52x14 worked. A 50x13 would be too large and a 50x14 would have him spinning much faster than most the other juniors.

Here's a good web page on the subject. However their solution is $150 and includes new chainrings and front derailleur adapter for the smaller rings. They assume you have an 11-tooth on the cassette already. Also he probably would have to ride 700x23 tires as 700x25s might put the bike over the 26-foot limit.

https://wickwerks.com/the-junior-solution

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I may see about converting the front end to a compact crank.

Don't do it.  For racing, you need gears spaced as close together as possible for drafting, and then the right high and low gears for going up hills and into the wind as easily as possible, and down hills as fast as possible without spinning out.  You won't get that with a "compact" setup.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

The roll-out has to be less than 26 feet. For 700x23 tires, a 52x14 worked. A 50x13 would be too large and a 50x14 would have him spinning much faster than most the other juniors.

Here's a good web page on the subject. However their solution is $150 and includes new chainrings and front derailleur adapter for the smaller rings. They assume you have an 11-tooth on the cassette already. Also he probably would have to ride 700x23 tires as 700x25s might put the bike over the 26-foot limit.

https://wickwerks.com/the-junior-solution

Thanks.  I will read up on that.  I will probably just have to monkey around with the cassette.  I have no idea what cassette is on it now.  

11 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

Don't do it.  For racing, you need gears spaced as close together as possible for drafting, and then the right high and low gears for going up hills and into the wind as easily as possible, and down hills as fast as possible without spinning out.  You won't get that with a "compact" setup.

Based on Jerry's comments (his daughter raced if I remember so he is pretty savvy), I was actually gonna suggest going to a standard 53 up front to help with the worry about the roll-out.  The 53-14 would work if the 52-14 worked, and then the 25mm tires might work too.  

But the difference between a 52 and a 50 - in the 14 cog @ 120rpm - is only 1.3mph (34.8 vs 33.5), so it isn't huge.  The huge difference is between an "illegal" 11 cog vs the 14 - that difference is 10mph! 

Tom

• Awesome 1

13 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Thanks.  I will read up on that.  I will probably just have to monkey around with the cassette.  I have no idea what cassette is on it now.  

For nationals you'll have to grind off the lower gears so that they can't be used. They don't allow using just the limit screw to adjust it off the gears. Tell us the large chainring size and the cassette gearing. Maybe we can figure something out.

Here's how they do the rollout:

Measure a 26' straight line and mark the start and finish.

Place the rear tire on the start mark.

Place one of the crank arms straight down.

Push the bike backwards until the crank arm makes one complete revolution.

The rear tire should not reach the finish line.

• Heart 1

On 5/2/2018 at 8:00 PM, JerrySTL said:

For nationals you'll have to grind off the lower gears so that they can't be used. They don't allow using just the limit screw to adjust it off the gears. Tell us the large chainring size and the cassette gearing. Maybe we can figure something out.

Here's how they do the rollout:

Measure a 26' straight line and mark the start and finish.

Place the rear tire on the start mark.

Place one of the crank arms straight down.

Push the bike backwards until the crank arm makes one complete revolution.

The rear tire should not reach the finish line.

Yea, we messed around with this with his cross bike with road tires on it.  Had to change the rear cassette.  It wasn't perfect but close enough that the USA cycling guys didn't say anything.  I just have not found the time to mess with this one yet.  

57 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Keep your wallet out. I think your daughter may be interested in the "+1" part of the formula.

Softball bats and cleats are way less expensive than even used bikes.  Her glove was a custom made glove in her team colors with her name embroidered.  We only did that because it was a Christmas present.  I do need a new bucket of softballs.  Switching to 12U in the fall.  She goes from 11" balls to 12" balls.  Softballs ain't cheap, especially good ones.  

• Heart 1