So at what point do you walk oot of a doctors office after a long initial wait?

Ralphie

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

40 minutes is nearing my limit. Scant disregard for my time pisses me off.  Man, I am getting crankier by the day. :D

Signed,

clint

The problem is, you just "restart" the wait next time :( So, the 40 mins you just wasted gets doubled if you leave and come back some other day.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The problem is, you just "restart" the wait next time :( So, the 40 mins you just wasted gets doubled if you leave and come back some other day.

Unfortunately, this.  There are a lot of places I'll walk out of if it's taking too long, but a doctor's office is not one of them.

I politely asked the receptionist, and I think her answer was basically overbooking. At least that is how I interpreted it. This is all exacerbated by me not really knowing why this is necessary. I already had the bump removed and it looks and feels fine. Oh well, I think I am next anyway.  Three other people that were here when I got here have gone in. 

I had one hour 15 minutes a few weeks ago. Went to the nurses station twice. First time they were scared to bother him. 2nd time they texted him. 

I also pounded in the wall cause I knew he was next door. 

When he came in he said he’d been dealing with some very sick emergency patients earlier. He also  spent almost an hour with me. 

Having gone with my dad to many of his appointments to his doctor, I appreciate their time schedules.  His Dr. was a well respected Dr. that worked in one of those larger practices where 5 or 10 minutes were allotted to the Dr. for each visit and they were told to shuffle them thru.  This guy didn't follow orders very well and spent as much time as necessary to hear the issues and explain the treatment or results.  Lots of time this meant digging into issues that were not what the original visit was for.  You could tell that his nurses had a system of working with him to be as efficient as possible while still providing good care.  There were times when he would pop out to get to his next patient and them pop back in to continue.  His care and concern was very much appreciated and I understood what it might be doing to other's time.  I remembered this when sitting in the waiting room.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Is this the appointment that they warned you might take all day?????

Yes, but that clock hasn't started yet. 90 minutes later I am still festering in the waiting room. The all day part is it takes an hour between layers to check the sample.  What point is there to starting 90 or more minutes in the hole?

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I went to a different doctor.

I had the first appt. after lunch. Got there 15 minutes early to fill out the new patient paperwork. They took my co-py. Afety 40 minutes of them nattering in the office I told them to cancel & refund.

Receptionist says. " Well, he's busy back there."

I sez, "He's not delivering babies back there (FTR, Gastroenterologist), and besides, YOU aren't busy, YOU coulda let me know what was going on."

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Having gone with my dad to many of his appointments to his doctor, I appreciate their time schedules.  His Dr. was a well respected Dr. that worked in one of those larger practices where 5 or 10 minutes were allotted to the Dr. for each visit and they were told to shuffle them thru.  This guy didn't follow orders very well and spent as much time as necessary to hear the issues and explain the treatment or results.  Lots of time this meant digging into issues that were not what the original visit was for.  You could tell that his nurses had a system of working with him to be as efficient as possible while still providing good care.  There were times when he would pop out to get to his next patient and them pop back in to continue.  His care and concern was very much appreciated and I understood what it might be doing to other's time.  I remembered this when sitting in the waiting room.

I have little empathy for that type of overbooking. 

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yes, but that clock hasn't started yet. 90 minutes later I am still festering in the waiting room. The all day part is it takes an hour between layers to check the sample.  What point is there to starting 90 or more minutes in the hole?

MOHS?

Just now, 2Far said:

I went to a different doctor.

I had the first appt. after lunch. Got there 15 minutes early to fill out the new patient paperwork. They took my co-py. Afety 40 minutes of them nattering in the office I told them to cancel & refund.

Receptionist says. " Well, he's busy back there."

I sez, "He's not delivering babies back there (FTR, Gastroenterologist), and besides, YOU aren't busy, YOU coulda let me know what was going on."

Doctors really need to up their customer service game. We do have feet, and we are not always sheeps, dammit. 

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Maybe they’ll admit you to stay overnight and you can be the first in line tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

I used to have a doctor who regularly ran over an hour late.  She was nice and took a lot of time with each person, but then she should figure that into her scheduling.  I don't mind waiting a long time every so often for an unexpected emergency, but when it is every appointment, then it's just a matter of scheduling.  I got so frustrated after a few visits, I changed doctors, but I never just walked out of the office without seeing the doctor.

My new doctor is good about scheduling.  They take you on time (or very close to on time) most of the time. And they schedule a reasonable time for appointments depending on the reason for the appointment.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I used to have a doctor who regularly ran over an hour late.  She was nice and took a lot of time with each person, but then she should figure that into her scheduling.  I don't mind waiting a long time every so often for an unexpected emergency, but when it is every appointment, then it's just a matter of scheduling.  I got so frustrated after a few visits, I changed doctors, but I never just walked out of the office without seeing the doctor.

My new doctor is good about scheduling.  They take you on time (or very close to on time) most of the time. And they schedule a reasonable time for appointments depending on the reason for the appointment.

The guy was very personable and affable, so I guess the great reviews (and the 350 foot boat dock) reflect that.  Yeah, something is definitely wrong when you wait over 2 hours before even being seen.  Once started I was oot 2 hours later which is fine.

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I had one hour 15 minutes a few weeks ago. Went to the nurses station twice. First time they were scared to bother him. 2nd time they texted him. 

I also pounded in the wall cause I knew he was next door. 

When he came in he said he’d been dealing with some very sick emergency patients earlier. He also  spent almost an hour with me. 

Mine apologized for the wait but no explanation was forthcoming, and I would have appreciated just that extra sentence.  It's one thing to have complications, quite another to consistently overbook.  And dermatologists have no emergencies!  It's swaht makes it such a desirable speciality! :D

• Heart 1

My doctors always get me in the examining room early. Take my blood pressure, ask about any concerns I may have, and tell me the doctor will be in shortly. Sometimes I get out of the office before my scheduled time of my appointment, sometimes the doctor shows up at about my scheduled time. I can’t complain about that, I knew what time I was scheduled.

when I was recently discharged from the hospital my discharge papers showed a 15 minute appointment with the surgeon in one week and a 30 minute appointment with my PCP in two weeks.

i think my area has about three doctors for every person in the county.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That is the problem with dumping (abandoning) a cart in K-Mart as a protest for a long and/or stuck line.  Thankfully Mr. Darwin solved that little problemo!  :D

11 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The guy was very personable and affable, so I guess the great reviews (and the 350 foot boat dock) reflect that.  Yeah, something is definitely wrong when you wait over 2 hours before even being seen.  Once started I was oot 2 hours later which is fine.

How big was this “bump” you had removed? My doctor always gets it all on the first try. 

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How big was this “bump” you had removed? My doctor always gets it all on the first try. 

That is what had me all oot of sorts from even being there!  It was not a bump, it was an indentation from the first removal by the NP.  So he did get it on one try.  He said it would be very minimal, but he still said :stitches", not "stitch".  He said he wouldn;t ruin my good looks - blatant panderer!  :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That is what had me all oot of sorts from even being there!  It was not a bump, it was an indentation from the first removal by the NP.  So he did get it on one try.  He said it would be very minimal, but he still said :stitches", not "stitch".  He said he wouldn;t ruin my good looks - blatant panderer!  :D

My brother said the cream is only an option for SOME skin stuff.  Mohs for other. Some bluelight treatment + cream for another. And some other cream for even other things.  Seems like the Dr should have a mix of tools but he said they all suck in their own way.

Miserable stuff.  Just having one mole removed from my waistline years ago was a royal PITA as it prevented me wearing anything constricting for a week or so.  Thank god for cheap suspenders.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I changed opthomolgists due to a nearly two hour wait. I was scheduled for 11 am, I wasn’t even in an exam room by 12:45. I had to leave to attend a meeting, I let them know I wouldn’t be back.

There was hardly any wait at my new practice.

Viva la choice! :)

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My brother said the cream is only an option for SOME skin stuff.  Mohs for other. Some bluelight treatment + cream for another. And some other cream for even other things.  Seems like the Dr should have a mix of tools but he said they all suck in their own way.

Miserable stuff.  Just having one mole removed from my waistline years ago was a royal PITA as it prevented me wearing anything constricting for a week or so.  Thank god for cheap suspenders.

I didn’t wear pants for a week after my surgery. The benefit of being retired.

• Haha 1