Well, that's disappointing......and not all at the same time

maddmaxx

They called to tell me that my stress test appointment for tomorrow was canceled because my doctor had failed to obtain an ok from my insurance company.  They've tried twice and still no joy.  To some degree I don't mind as I now have a stress free day tomorrow.  On the other hand this is doing nothing to find out why bouts of unexpected high blood pressure cause chest pain.  I'd hate to think that the insurance company thinks it would be cheaper if I was dead.

• Sad 7

19 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Intermittent chest pain should demand a visit to the ER.  Will they pay for that.

#openenrollmentperiod 

It doesn't demand a visit to the ER unless it doesn't go away or becomes intense.  Many people suffer from angina.

It may however be a pointer to a serious issue in the future.  That is what the test is supposed to be part of the diagnostics for.  I'm assuming that a recoding of the request by the doctor will penetrate the thick heads at the insurance company.  After all, this is the same medical insurance company that thought it was improper for the cancer center that was treating womaxx to ask for genetic testing because she didn't have cancer.  After it was explained that she was enrolled in chemo at a cancer center they decided that it might be permissible.  Of course we had run the test anyway even if we had to pay and womaxx was indeed the carrier of a gene defect known as Lynch Syndrome, a known precursor for cancer.

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Every time I’ve had chest pain it has been heartburn. 

I've been carted off to the er twice before for excruciating chest pain on the right side of the chest.  It always goes away in the ambulance with oxygen before being checked in. They believe that I have some sort of weird muscle cramp in the pecs over there.  I've learned how to recognize the onset of that and relax that arm to prevent it from getting out of control.  Of course their concern and probably mine is that I will laugh off chest pain one time too often.  As you posted it sucks to get old.

• Hugs 1

17 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

On the other hand this is doing nothing to find out why bouts of unexpected high blood pressure cause chest pain.

Have you kept track of those events and which posts you might have been reading (and the author(s) of those posts) at the time?

Out of the gate, I'd assume it would strongly correlate to anything @Kzoo had a hand in ?

15 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Many people suffer from angina.

True. But “unstable angina” should be worked up, with an outpatient stress test (if hospital admission is deemed unnecessary). How long ago were your ER visits? Recent, or some years back?

“Unstable angina usually is more intense, lasts longer, is precipitated by less exertion, occurs spontaneously at rest (as angina decubitus), is progressive (crescendo) in nature, or involves any combination of these features.“

I wonder if someone entered it as “atypical chest pain” since it is right sided instead of center/left in nature. 

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Every time I’ve had chest pain it has been heartburn. 

A true story.  One of my uncles had been complaining of recurring bouts of heartburn almost every morning for a couple of weeks.  Then, one morning, after having breakfast and taking some Tums for what he thought was his usual episode of morning heartburn, he had a massive heart attack and died before any help could arrive.  He was just 57 years old.

Acid reflux (heartburn) is a very common ailment, especially more so as you age.  But so is heart disease.  If my uncle hadn't just assumed he was having persistent heartburn and gotten properly tested, he most likely would have received some sort of corrective treatment and probably lived years longer.  

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

True. But “unstable angina” should be worked up, with an outpatient stress test (if hospital admission is deemed unnecessary). How long ago were your ER visits? Recent, or some years back?

“Unstable angina usually is more intense, lasts longer, is precipitated by less exertion, occurs spontaneously at rest (as angina decubitus), is progressive (crescendo) in nature, or involves any combination of these features.“

I wonder if someone entered it as “atypical chest pain” since it is right sided instead of center/left in nature. 

The right side pain happened years ago.  These days I've learned to control it with a bit of ommmmmm.

The angina (if it is indeed angina and that's a guess) is new.  It is accompanied by a bout of high blood pressure.  From my pretend doctor reading that is more likely to be as a result of a hardening of the arteries as a result of the high blood pressure.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

His right what?

sir or madam?

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The right side pain happened years ago.  These days I've learned to control it with a bit of ommmmmm.

The angina (if it is indeed angina and that's a guess) is new.  It is accompanied by a bout of high blood pressure.  From my pretend doctor reading that is more likely to be as a result of a hardening of the arteries as a result of the high blood pressure.

sir or madam?

If you’re unable to get the stress test covered, the next time you go to your PCP (or if the pain returns to the ER) make sure you use the words “new” “different” or even “worse” or “increasing” when describing the pain happening “at rest”.  That should assist with the argument.

“Sub-sternal” and “radiating” to jaw or left shoulder will get you admitted.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

So far my Medicare disadvantage plan has not hesitated to authorize any tests or procedures that my doctor’s have asked for. I don’t get the text that they have authorized it until about a week after the procedure. I can’t believe I just said something nice about my plan.

You might want to see a doctor about this.  Sounds serious.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

How often do you have to stay at a Holiday Inn Express to get to your level of medical smartness?

On 12/4/2019 at 4:18 PM, maddmaxx said:

They called to tell me that my stress test appointment for tomorrow was canceled because my doctor had failed to obtain an ok from my insurance company.  They've tried twice and still no joy.  To some degree I don't mind as I now have a stress free day tomorrow.  On the other hand this is doing nothing to find out why bouts of unexpected high blood pressure cause chest pain.  I'd hate to think that the insurance company thinks it would be cheaper if I was dead.

These decisions are often made by high school graduates working for insurance companies. I would call the insurance company and ask them to explain exactly why they think it's ok for you to have those pressure/pain bouts.  If you don't get a satisfactory answer, ask them to provide you with the name and phone number of the insurance company spokesperson who the TV News company you're going to speak to should call.

In my case I have some leverage and haven't had to make such threats, but would have no trouble doing so. I retired from the 35th largest school system in the USA and tens of thousands of teachers, staff, and retirees are insured by Carefirst BCBS of MD so they have a representative from BCBS on call at the Board of Ed. on Tuesdays and otherwise we have healthcare officers at the board that will take up our cases.

If you have anything analogous, go through them.

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I've been carted off to the er twice before for excruciating chest pain on the right side of the chest.  It always goes away in the ambulance with oxygen before being checked in. They believe that I have some sort of weird muscle cramp in the pecs over there.  I've learned how to recognize the onset of that and relax that arm to prevent it from getting out of control.  Of course their concern and probably mine is that I will laugh off chest pain one time too often.  As you posted it sucks to get old.

So this is the U.S. health care?  

I have had several incidents of strange tightness in my chest for past 2 yrs.  I did get a stress test 8 months ago and yes, they put to reflux/heart burn.  This is an interesting challenge because to them, I look like fantastic health as a woman..in terms of fitness, mobility and average cardio.  I have good blood pressure.  But that scary feeling/sensation extends to someone like myself.

Hope you doctor will see you/urge to have stress test..

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

So this is the U.S. health care?  

I have had several incidents of strange tightness in my chest for past 2 yrs.  I did get a stress test 8 months ago and yes, they put to reflux/heart burn.  This is an interesting challenge because to them, I look like fantastic health as a woman..in terms of fitness, mobility and average cardio.  I have good blood pressure.  But that scary feeling/sensation extends to someone like myself.

Hope you doctor will see you/urge to have stress test..

The doctor already attempted to schedule the stress test.  It's now a matter of why the insurance company feels like it shouldn't pay for it.  Yes, that's the state of medical in the US.  Now I have to wait some more to have a test to determine if I have a condition that requires immediate attention or if we can proceed with a more gradual change in medication.