landline phone line out

MickinMD

Everything is working - DSL thru my phone's landline, etc., but no dial tone: my phone line is out. Thank God I have a separate cell phone account.

I disconnected all house wires that run to the outside junction box, plugged in a phone line directly into the junction box, and no dial tone.  So it's an outside-the-house problem.  Verizon charges around $100 if they come out and find the problem is inside the house.

This biggest problem, is trying to report the problem to Verizon.

I did a Google search for Verizon Customer Service and kept getting Wireless.  Then when I didn't get a residential page, checking phone took me to an Internet page.

Finally, I googled "Verizon residential customer service and finally found a customer service number.  It -while connected with my Tracfone mobile phone - asked me if the problem as about landline number, which it stated.  Then it asked me questions where it wanted a voice answer, it send me a "temporary pin" by text and email but didn't give me enough time to find it before moving on.  I finally was able to say "phone outage" and it said it would connect me to a person.  That was before I began typing this - my spartphone says the call in now 20 minutes long: I'm waiting on hold and hope the speakerphone won't kill my battery.

I'll wait another 10 minutes and then call back and use the have-them-call-back option.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Everything is working - DSL thru my phone's landline, etc., but no dial tone: my phone line is out. Thank God I have a separate cell phone account.

I disconnected all house wires that run to the outside junction box, plugged in a phone line directly into the junction box, and no dial tone.  So it's an outside-the-house problem.  Verizon charges around $100 if they come out and find the problem is inside the house.

I did a Google search for Verizon Customer Service and kept getting Wireless.  Then when I didn't get a residential page, checking phone took me to an Internet page.

Finally, I googled "Verizon residential customer service and finally found a customer service number.  It -while connected with my Tracfone mobile phone - asked me if the problem as about landline number, which it stated.  Then it asked me questions where it wanted a voice answer, it send me a "temporary pin" by text and email but didn't give me enough time to find it before moving on.  I finally was able to say "phone outage" and it said it would connect me to a person.  That was before I began typing this - my spartphone says the call in now 20 minutes long: I'm waiting on hold and hope the speakerphone won't kill my battery.

I'll wait another 10 minutes and then call back and use the have-them-call-back option.

Landline? seriously? why? How often do you use the phone? I think I've had 3 phone calls this month.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I was thinking the same thing about the radio thread, but figured maybe some folks just like things the way they were.

I listen to the radio every morning. Trivia, local news, ski report, weather, avalanche report, good music, all while I have breakfast. He'll even tell you what beer, wine and booze is on sale at the local grocery store. This is stuff you need to know. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

This is a hint that it’s time to pull the plug. They probably don’t want to look for the problem since you are their last customer anyway.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

I still have a land line as well as a cell phone.  All the cool kids think that their cell phones are great but you can't understand what they are saying through all the mush and compression.  I used to think this was one of those old country problems, but when I couldn't understand a caller at the hobby shoppe I'd give the phone to one of the young workers.  The first thing I'd hear from them was "wut?"  

• Awesome 1

Most people I know don't have a landline phone.  I've been thinking about getting rid of it, though I speak to relatives in other states at least a couple times a week, often for at least an hour at a time, and I like the sound much better with a landline phone.  It's also more comfortable to hold.

In my area there have been times of power outages where the cell towers are also dead but the landline phones work - assuming you have one that doesn't need to be plugged into 110 VAC power.  There are some other reasons:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/04/5-reasons-to-keep-a-landline-phone/index.htm

http://ne-tel.com/keep-landline-phone/

I seldom use my smartphone, though I have an excellent one (Samsung Galaxy S7), and I buy 1500 talk mins/year (leftover time rolls-over each year) plus 1500 texts and 1500 MB 4G Internet for $125 per year.  I don't know if going through Verizon for a smartphone would be cheaper than landline service plus excellent Tracfone service through a near-state-of-the-art smartphone that does all I need.

• Awesome 1

Final repair solution:  Verizon will have someone fix everything on Dec. 31.  Thank God my DSL is still working and I have a couple thousand unused Tracfone talk minutes left.

BUT, I'll lose DSL capability so I'm finally getting FIOS Internet.

It turns out that my area is undergoing conversion to fiber optic cable and the DSL I have now only runs on copper lines which we now have.

Verizon will NOT replace the problem line with copper lines and I'll get a fiber optic line, so my DSL Internet service will end.

I ordered fast FIOS Internet and unlimited (long distance, etc.) landline phone service for an estimated total (after fees, taxes, etc. for $78.54/month.

If, at some future point I want the triple option with FIOS TV added, I can do that at any time.  Right now, the FIOS Internet means I'll have even sharper Amazon Instant Video pictures - more reason not to pay to TV.

If I update and up speed my internet (Hey @Randomguy) I will have to give up my internet and /or have ,y "landline" off my computer...which would mean no phone when electricity is out :dontknow: the present phone is plugged in to an electrical outlet so WTF...and I do have the cell...Have yet to take the plunge...might need a new modem and or would need to take the day off to get the work done....

14 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

If I update and up speed my internet (Hey @Randomguy) I will have to give up my internet and /or have ,y "landline" off my computer...which would mean no phone when electricity is out :dontknow: the present phone is plugged in to an electrical outlet so WTF...and I do have the cell...Have yet to take the plunge...might need a new modem and or would need to take the day off to get the work done....

How would increasing your internet speed make you give up your internet? 

How often does the electricity go out? How often do you need to make a call on a landline when the electricity is out? Are you trying to order Dominoes when the power goes out? 

A router costs about $15. Take the day off work? Is this your set up? You're over thinking this. It's internet service not rocket surgery. 

300px-Analogue_modem_-_acoustic_coupler.jpg

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

My favorite was when I had AT&T Uverse.  They had a sticker on everything directing you to a website if you had an issue, if you were having an issue, the internet wasn't working either.  So you had to hunt for a phone number.  I pointed that out to one of techs when them came out to fix it once and they laughed pretty good about that.  Yeah, just a tad short sighted.

16 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I ordered fast FIOS Internet and unlimited (long distance, etc.) landline phone service for an estimated total (after fees, taxes, etc. for $78.54/month.

So, long story short, you pay the same or less for equal or BETTER service?  Huzzah!