Someone must have got it wet, or fed it after midnight

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Thaddeus Kosciuszko,

1 minute ago, jsharrwick said:

If they built that, I would drive it!  Maybe not quite that l would love to have a hot sport hatch like that.

discus

Gremlins or Pacers or similar really just got screwed by being 70s cars.  Tough time in the auto industry.  

Likewise, hatches get screwed by being either dumped in the "econobox" category, or being premium cars where they go against other less divisive coupes and sedans and now, SUVs.  

Like how wagons can be done "right", hatchbacks also can be done right, but lose out to more "cool" SUVs these days.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Gremlins or Pacers or similar really just got screwed by being 70s cars.  Tough time in the auto industry.  

Likewise, hatches get screwed by being either dumped in the "econobox" category, or being premium cars where they go against other less divisive coupes and sedans and now, SUVs.  

Like how wagons can be done "right", hatchbacks also can be done right, but lose out to more "cool" SUVs these days.

I loved my Mazda 3 hatchback. It was a fun car, really handy for loading stuff and looked good.  I’ll probably not get another as I want something bigger but am seriously considering the CX 5.

• Heart 1

Underneath it's still a Gremlin.  So instead of the rust starting at the top and working its way to the unibody/frame, it starts in the unibody.

A Gremlin is a Gremlin is a Gremlin.  I owned an AM car.  I had friends with Gremlins.  I used to car pool with a guy who drove a Pacer.

A Gremlin is a Gremlin.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kzoo said:

Underneath it's still a Gremlin.  So instead of the rust starting at the top and working its way to the unibody/frame, it starts in the unibody.

A Gremlin is a Gremlin is a Gremlin.  I owned an AM car.  I had friends with Gremlins.  I used to car pool with a guy who drove a Pacer.

A Gremlin is a Gremlin.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN OR I'LL TURN THE HOSE ON YOU!!!

You of course are completely right.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I loved my Mazda 3 hatchback. It was a fun car, really handy for loading stuff and looked good.  I’ll probably not get another as I want something bigger but am seriously considering the CX 5.

Yeah - it's sort of the problem with hatches vs sporty SUVs.  BMW is an example - the old Z3/Z4 M coupe ("breadbox") vs a sporty wagon vs the X3 M model.  All similar in price, but the X3 probably outsold 10 to 1 or more - especially in the US.

• Heart 1

My father in law’s Gremlin had a habit of the carburetor falling apart. The screws went up from the bottom so you had to take it clear off the car to put it back together. The second time it did it I coated the threads with a liberal amount of perma-cacca and it lasted until he traded it in.

• Heart 1

I had a 76 Gremlin X, manual, with the 256/4.2 straight six.  Bought it cheap off a dealer's lot as junk (yeah, insert joke here), fixed it up, and put it back on the road.  I think the car had been totaled at one point, because I could see where the roof had been cut off and replaced.  Pretty sure the odometer had been rolled back - a lot.  But it ran great for two years, got me everywhere I needed to go, no real maintenance, and it was pretty fast compared to most other cars on the road.  People make fun of it, but I thought it was a pretty good car.

• Heart 4

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I had a 76 Gremlin X, manual, with the 256/4.2 straight six.  Bought it cheap off a dealer's lot as junk (yeah, insert joke here), fixed it up, and put it back on the road.  I think the car had been totaled at one point, because I could see where the roof had been cut off and replaced.  Pretty sure the odometer had been rolled back - a lot.  But it ran great for two years, got me everywhere I needed to go, no real maintenance, and it was pretty fast compared to most other cars on the road.  People make fun of it, but I thought it was a pretty good car.

And you consider yourself an engineer?  

A total of 40,994 Gremlins were equipped with the V8 engine from 1972 to 1976.

A 1973 Gremlin purchased by Consumer Reports was top-rated in a group of six subcompact models tested for the June issue. That car had relatively few sample defects and proved reliable over a long-term test.

• Heart 1

• Solution
4 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

And you consider yourself an engineer?  

Oh for goodness sake!

I was single at the time, just out of college, working my first job in a new area.  I bought a titled-as-junk, high-mileage, cobbed-up-smashed-and-crashed-body-repaired unpopular car that everybody snickered at even when it was new,

and I took it apart and fixed it.

It's what engineers do

And even if the car hadn't been broken in the first place - I would have taken it apart and fixed it anyway.

;)

• Awesome 2

The first new car I owned, after I finished grad school and got a job as an industrial research chemist, was a 1977 AMC Gremlin. It had that roof rack and Levi's denim interion upholstery.

I haven't had another car with a roof rack, but there are times I wish I had one.  When I haul the lumber home for the raised beds and the shed I want to build, I can fit 8' long lumber entirely inside my Honda Fit with the back seats and the front passenger seat-back flattened down, but a sudden stop might send it through the windshield!  So I'm going to have to let it stick out the back with lots of rope and bungee cords.