I don't give a f***! Stop it!

Road Runner

When I was out on my bike ride yesterday and on a quiet neighborhood street, a woman crossed in front of me with three small children in tow.  I would guess their ages were maybe in the 5-10 range.  Anyway, as I passed by, I heard her yell at them, "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!!  STOP IT!!"

I know I am old and out of it, but is this acceptable language to be used in raising children these days?  My parents may have said damn and shit a time or two, but never the F word.  I tried to never use any curse words in front of my kids.

This seems really wrong to me.  What do you think?

• Whatever 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

When I was out on my bike ride yesterday and on a quiet neighborhood street, a woman crossed in front of me with three small children in tow.  I would guess their ages were maybe in the 5-10 range.  Anyway, as I passed by, I heard her yell at them, "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!!  STOP IT!!"

I know I am old and out of it, but is this acceptable language to be used in raising children these days?  My parents may have said damn and shit a time or two, but never the F word.  I tried to never use any curse words in front of my kids.

Kids are much harder to raise nowadays. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Parents really have to learn to swear on the side and only rarely. Children  learn how a significant adult restrains themselves. And also swearing, not so loud on side, shows it's not acceptable language in general conversation, etc.

And hearing alot of swearing is just well...boring and not very meaningful after awhile. Methinks of some folks who think they sound so tough with a long string of it. Who wants to listen to you, bub? Who even wants to be around you?

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I thought it was much easier.  Just give them some violent video games to play, feed them, and put them to bed.  :unsure:

Never underestimate the benefits we used to get from not just switches &  belts, but slaps, or even fists in "fixing" bad kids. And carry that forward to allowing kids to get the same treatment at school or elsewhere, and it has to be harder these days.  Tried and true tools were removed from our tool box!  Now we're all mamby pamby and sensitive to words???? WTF, Phil! Get a spine :D

In general no, I don’t think it’s acceptable.  But you also caught just a brief glimpse of her life so I’d reserve judgement. Those kids may have driven her over the edge and in that moment said something she normally wouldn’t. Or maybe she swears like a drunken sailor…

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I think it's wrong as well.  Exposing children to really foul language at an early age conditions them into thinking it's all right to use it whenever they want.  That will be to their detriment when interacting with people.

Additionally, there's a layer of respect between children and parents that's stripped away when cursing is directed at each other.

• Heart 2

45 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

ages were maybe in the 5-10 range.  Anyway, as I passed by, I heard her yell at them, "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!!  STOP IT!!"

I hope it had the intended effect. I’m guessing one of the cherubs was wingeing about something, and the lady wanted to shut it down. Full stop. 

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I hope it had the intended effect. I’m guessing one of the cherubs was wingeing about something, and the lady wanted to shut it down. Full stop. 

Maybe they weren't even her kids!  A nanny who, like me, can't stand most other people's kids! :D

This is good prep for the real world where most folks don't give a rat's ass about you, so learn it early or suffer the consequences later on.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

This is good prep for the real world where most folks don't give a rat's ass about you, so learn it early or suffer the consequences later on.

Since she can’t issue a quick swat to the backside and be done with it. Drop that f- bomb and shut that nonsense down. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

In general no, I don’t think it’s acceptable.  But you also caught just a brief glimpse of her life so I’d reserve judgement. Those kids may have driven her over the edge and in that moment said something she normally wouldn’t. Or maybe she swears like a drunken sailor…

Do sailors swear?

You bet your ass.

• Haha 3

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Do sailors swear?

You bet your ass.

That was tame for a sailor!

When my kids were little I would often tell them funny Army stories.  Of course most of them involved alcohol but I would always start the story with: so we were at the library drinking lemonade when….

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

That was tame for a sailor!

When my kids were little I would often tell them funny Army stories.  Of course most of them involved alcohol but I would always start the story with: so we were at the library drinking lemonade when….

Yes it was.  I'm staying calm today.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Anyway, as I passed by, I heard her yell at them, "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!!  STOP IT!!"

BTW, why do you think it was directed at them and not you?  You probably almost killed her! She was warning you that she was ready to throw down and wanted you to stop the nonsense!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Depends on the culture.  I have Scottish friends who swear like crazy and talk the same in front of their young kids and grandkids.  The kids had to learn when to use the words and when not to, when in grade 2 their oldest GS told the teacher that Joey was being "a fucking asshole".  Kinda like Aussie's use the 'C' word much more often than people in NA.  

No I never swore in front of my kids, but I am not a big cusser anyway

7 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have Scottish friends who swear like crazy and talk the same in front of their young kids and grandkids.  The kids had to learn when to use the words and when not to, when in grade 2 their oldest GS told the teacher that Joey was being "a fucking asshole". 

I'm gonna bet no one actually understood what those kids were actually saying, and the teacher was just an ass. No one understands Scottish.  

• Haha 1

I don't recall my parents ever using bad language (and at least my Mom's definition of bad language was much broader than mine).  But i can't say how I would be as a parent, and I'm not at all sure I wouldn't be much worse.  I was in a grocery store this weekend and saw a woman shopping with a bunch of kids and I was tempted to yell and I was just hearing them from the other end of the aisle.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

10 hours ago, Kirby said:

I don't recall my parents ever using bad language (and at least my Mom's definition of bad language was much broader than mine).  But i can't say how I would be as a parent, and I'm not at all sure I wouldn't be much worse.  I was in a grocery store this weekend and saw a woman shopping with a bunch of kids and I was tempted to yell and I was just hearing them from the other end of the aisle.

Actually my parents swore in Dutch and sometimes Javanese.  Later on we learned that some of the stuff my dad would say was just nonsensical but they sounded like cuss words!

My kids are in their mid/late 30's. DoSmudge2 was with me last summer when I was ordering a sandwich. This place couldn't make the sandwich because they had no avacados. Typical. I muttered, "Oh for fuck sake." Later when we were home, DoSmudge2 told HoSmudge, "Momma said a bad word." 

My kids are in their 30's and are still surprised to hear me say that word. I think it's hideous when I hear parents shout that word at their little kids. Ugh.....

• Heart 1