-45 degrees C - maybe tiptoe out

shootingstar

Be careful.  That's "hurt you" cold.  On the east coast we will be getting that artic cold sometime late Friday and through the weekend.  It won't be anything like your cold but first we have to survive projected winds of 50 to 60 mph and an estimate of up to 175,000 homes without power.  I'll fire up the propane stove tomorrow and pre warm the sun porch just in case.

At those ultra cold temps I hope you open all your cupboards that have piping either under sinks or in the walls (outside walls) to protect them from freezing.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

I saw -40 lots of times in western Canada. It was nothing for me to jump on a fork lift to unload my truck in Saskatoon outside when it was - 40. But something happens between - 40 and - 50. That is where the jump is made from really cold to damn cold.

Yeah, I have spent enough time in DEW line sites and the high Arctic.  -48 is bloody cold, especially when the wind is blowing at 5-60 mph. 

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, I have spent enough time in DEW line sites and the high Arctic.  -48 is bloody cold, especially when the wind is blowing at 5-60 mph. 

The winter I worked in NWT and Nunavut it never got that cold. I‘ve seen colder temperatures south of 60 but the ~35 to ~40 was more consistent in the north.

A minus 18c day in Yellowknife in March is balmy.

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The winter I worked in NWT and Nunavut it never got that cold. I‘ve seen colder temperatures south of 60 but the ~35 to ~40 was more consistent in the north.

A minus 18f day in Yellowknife in March is balmy.

The coldest I have seen was -54c in Watson Lake YT.  Most DL sites and north around Resolute, Alert and Polaris though we always called 48 squared.  -48c and 48 knots wind.  That was common for winter conditions.  The mean temperatures though are -30 to -35 for the winter months.  

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

This thread is the main reason that when I retire I WILL NOT be moving to the Prairies to be closer to the kids.

This evening, a good friend and I want to go to a restaurant just 5 km. away from me.  She has to drive from somewhere else where the office is, to pick me up.  I think she's slightly balking...after all, her car will be very cold after parking it  in the outdoor lot for 7 hrs. during work. :whistle: So it might be -35 degrees C today....a bit better.  

Last night it fell to -46 degrees C.

9 hours ago, dinneR said:

I did a bike race at -40. It might have -50 crossing Elephant Lake. 

Mitten's rear hub froze. That was a great story.

I did a 3 hour motorcycle ice race when the air temperature was -5° with a wind chill of -22°   I don't know what the feel like temperature was at 85mph on straightaway. 

I dropped out of the race early when I high sided and went to the hospital with a separated and broken shoulder.

• Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A block heater is a lot better solution. 

I wondered about that.  Never had or used one, but they do seem popular and likely important in some of the really cold places.  Does keeping the "block" warm allow warm cabin air immediately upon starting the car, or just get you closer to "fully" warmed up and blowing non-frigid air at startup?

Would a business parking lot have plugs available for employees and customers?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I wondered about that.  Never had or used one, but they do seem popular and likely important in some of the really cold places.  Does keeping the "block" warm allow warm cabin air immediately upon starting the car, or just get you closer to "fully" warmed up and blowing non-frigid air at startup?

I was a little surprised, though I shouldn't be:  My employer does provide very limited outdoor outlets to plug in, etc. at only 2-3 workplace office sites across the city. It is for employees or contractors.  I don't think it's provided where I work, though maybe 1-2 outlets. 

Of course, we have a HUGE fleet of equipment related trucks, road vehicles to do stuff. So we have to think about "transportation" and different fuel sources. We are rolling out a corporate car-share fleet of electric little cars for employee biz trips.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

In extreme conditions we need the tank heaters to start the vehicles, body comfort comes later. When working we would go out and start the vehicles at noon, and autostart worked for those starts and in the late afternoon. The Station did not provide plugins. I just watch the heat gauge and do not start the heaters until the engines are warm. However, I probably dress much warmer than many of you folks. I'll just leave our diesels parked until it warms a bit, mainly so the fuel does not gel. Hope everyone stays warm and safe.

Here is a photo taken from a friends porch this morning with -24F and blowing snow. He lives about 12 miles east of our place.

IMG_20221222_085719__01alansweb.jpg

• Awesome 2
  • Like 1

:whistle:Tonight is quite slick and icy on the snow packed roads. Under night streetlights, one can see the ice sheets across the road and parking lots.  Hardly cars out there tonight.  The coldness is making the roads quite dangerous for driving.:huh::unsure:  We're still at -40 degrees C tonight.

We had some snowploughing...about 4 days ago.

Meanwhile our airport is like VAncouver's, many cancelled flights.  I heard that city of Victoria has only 1 city snowplow.,,, Because they seldom get snow..so anyway they're coping somehow.