Sleeping is EXPENSIVE!

12string

A smart bed is so smart it takes your money! :D

Hopefully the store has a test period return policy. When I went through a furniture chain store for a mattress, I went through 3, eventually working my way up to a Tempurpedic. Got the adjustable base (twin XL) for King size.

Fast forward eight or nine years and time to replace. This time, bed-in-box. Initially tried two twin XL's but neither worked out. Must have been different batches because one was physically shorter on the Nectar, and the Tuft and Needle was too hard. Both were easy non-return during the trial period - donation to a local charity and faxing them the receipt - but Tuft and Needle had a weird policy of one time only so couldn't shift to a different model the offered.  Finally gave up went to flat foundation and king size Casper on sale at Costco for $799. Perfect!

The downside of a furniture store, on an exchange you are limited to the lines they carry.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Excuse me, what is a smart bed??

I know it won't replace a partner.. :frantics:

ours is a Sleep Number brand. It is adjustable head and foot. Ours is split at the top so Einstein can sleep more upright. His back makes being flat uncomfortable. It heats and cools as you program it. Also softness/firmness is independently adjustable for both sides b

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

ours is a Sleep Number brand. It is adjustable head and foot. Ours is split at the top so Einstein can sleep more upright. His back makes being flat uncomfortable. It heats and cools as you program it. Also softness/firmness is independently adjustable for both sides b

That is really fancy. Thank you.

I am a small, light person yet maybe unbelievable to some folks here, a soft mattress kills my back after 3 consecutive days. Thankfully a quality firm mattress, 9 or 10 highest firmness, was best for both of us.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Ralphie said:

I am on your plan, sheep_herder!  Still seems new to me and it has to be at least 20 years old. 

We were looking at the fancy platform for Tempur-Pedic.  I told him our mattress was about 10 years old, he said we should get another 10 out of it.

16 hours ago, 12string said:

smart bed.

What makes a bed "smart"?

We got a reasonably priced "mattress in a box" delivered a couple years ago, and it is still doing well for us.  I don't know what more I need from a mattress.  I find my pillow to be the most important thing - I like them thin.

• Hugs 1

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't know what more I need from a mattress.  I find my pillow to be the most important thing - I like them thin.

Me too  --thin is way better.  Doesn't push the head and neck unnaturally forward.

I discovered my pillow that I bought 7 yrs. ago, is now over $100.00.  

Interesting, my family seems to like thinner pillows too..based on 2 different siblings' homes where I've stayed over a wk. each.  I think that's how we all slept as teens in 1 household.

At hotels, in 80% where I've stayed, I end up throwing the pillows they provide onto the couch or a chair. I know they provide different fluffy depth pillows, but none suit me.  So my head is directly on the mattress.

17 hours ago, 12string said:

Our bedding is getting old.  so are we, and with that comes various sleeping difficulties.

So to address those, we went shopping for a smart bed.

There were a couple in the store that were over $11,000 - to start!

We still ended up spending about $6000.  It had better help, or I'll be losing sleep over it.

Don't blame me...I've been out of the mattress industry for years. 

• Haha 1

There's adjustable frames with a regular mattress, these just raise your head and feet.  You can put about any mattress on these.

Smart beds are air springs that allow you to adjust a baseline firmness.  As you move around in your sleep, it senses pressure points and adjusts firmness.  We only got the passive cooling one, but some (Like Aire's) sense body temperature and heat or cool.  They monitor your sleep patterns, heartbeat, etc - not sure if it does any adjustment for those but it will tell you how you slept so you can make your own adjustments.

Put that on an adjustable base and you get a smart AND adjustable bed.

I have to figure out how to connect it to my smart home stuff.  A simple "good night", shuts down the house, locks doors, turns on cameras, turns off the TV, then changes the bed position and firmness from TV to sleep mode.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/6/2024 at 10:20 PM, sheep_herder said:

I can remember putting a piece of plywood under the mattress to increase firmness. Not sure how old our mattresses are, but we have not talked about replacement.

Us too