What is your favorite part about cycling

Dirtyhip

What is it?  

For me it is cornering hard and jumping. I love that feeling when you lean back into it and the bike leans over and loses traction just a bit then hooks in.  Also, the thrust and then the moment you are in the air off a kicker or a drop. Being airborne is so much fun.

We are headed to a big ski resort and a pump track this weekend.  Three days of shuttling and pumping.  So exited here.  I am going to pee my pants kinda excited. 

• Heart 3

I like just about all of it, except for the cars.  I like the freedom of cycling, the control of my bike, the speed, the cornering, and making people stare at the old man on the bike going much faster than they suppose I should be able to go.  My favorite part is when I get home, exhausted and sweaty from a good ride and feeling just like I did fifty years ago.    :)

• Heart 4

So many things! Physically, first and foremost  I like speed. On the road or the dirt, I love the exhilaration that goes with moving fast. Second, effort. I truly enjoy pushing my body beyond what I think it's capable of. 

Mentally, I live the focus I get with mountain biking and the meditation I get from riding long quiet stretches of asphalt. Both are rejuvenating.

But above all, every time I throw my leg over a bike I am transported back toy youth - riding was fredom.  Of all the things I feared when I was a kid, riding a bike was not one of them. And I could escape my little world and see greater things.

• Heart 4

24 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

The meditation that occurs on those long rides... just me and my thoughts... the 'bike zone' if you will.

Definitely this - as well as the feeling of accomplishment after a big climb, flying downhill after a long climb (but not too fast)... feeling the wind on my face, and seeing the scenery five times clearer than if I was in a car.

• Heart 4

Lots of good answers here.  Almost all of them describe something I like about cycling.  I cycle for fitness, primarily, but I'm motivated to do it because I enjoy it for it's own sake.  I'm not sure what, if anything, is THE thing I like best, but if I had to pick one...

The freedom to go where you want, when you want, wherever your legs can take you.

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

/\ THIS /\

I like that cycling saved me from getting a second car for commuting to work.

...., that cycling made 30 pounds of middle disappear

...., that 15 points of BP and 13 beats per minute disappeared

...., the solo effort of it.  My work is a team effort and team oriented, and with cycling it is all about me.

..., the hammer time.  I rarely go for a easy ride.  I love to push my physical limits.  I love to get to my max and hold it for as long as I can.  That when I arrive home I am scared to stop because my legs are so trashed I can hardly stand to walk into the garage.

...., that when I do ride with someone else, 99% of the time it is WofZeph, and we spend many hours side by side on our bikes

..., that there is such a cool internet forum to hang out on.

Can you send us the URL for that?

• Heart 4