F Insomnia

Dottleshead

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Great.  After getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep last night, now I can't sleep tonight -- and the alarm goes off in 6 hours. FML

Agreed,  I fell asleep with computer on lap and then woke up and can’t get back to sleep. I am going to try some Benadryl to see if it helps. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Agreed,  I fell asleep with computer on lap and then woke up and can’t get back to sleep. I am going to try some Benadryl to see if it helps. 

A sleep doctor (MD), recommends no computer screen (including iPhone) exposure nor even TV screen exposure 1-2 hrs. before bed.  The physicians and pediatricians now are determining part of children's and teen's lack of sleep or less sleep, is many hrs. each day of this type of exposure before sleep.

I never paid attention to all this...until I had my concussion, which disrupted my sleep.  There is truth to this.

Better to read a paper book/newspaper.

It's the blue light from the screen that keeps the brain awake/stimulates it.  I've had...several doctors directly tell me this.  Plus now seeing articles...

So yea, light reading of a book before I sleep has helped.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Great.  After getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep last night, now I can't sleep tonight -- and the alarm goes off in 6 hours. FML

I was in the same boat from starting to stay up later on vacation. Last night I went to bed early, 8:30 ish, watched some TV then fell asleep. I woke up aboot 2 something and couldn't fall asleep until 5. Then I wake up at 6 for work ? I'm tired.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

It's the blue light from the screen that keeps the brain awake/stimulates it.  I've had...several doctors directly tell me this.  Plus now seeing articles...

Yep. My Samsung Galaxy android phone has a blue light filter for this reason.

It must work because I overslept a half hour this morning.

Shootingstar is correct about too much screen time prior to going to bed.  Have you tried reading instead? I find it really helps me, and I know it is time to snooze when I reread a sentence several times and still am lost. I usually set the bookmark back a page so that I reread all the stuff with fresher eyes the next night,

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Even in retirement, I hate insomnia because it usually leaves me dragging during the day.

I stayed up until 3 am New Year's Eve and am just getting back to normal, getting up at 11 am on Jan 1, 10:30 am on Jan 2, and getting up with my 8:45 am alarm today.

I was already home from a three hour swim/gym workout by then.

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Yep. My Samsung Galaxy android phone has a blue light filter for this reason.

It must work because I overslept a half hour this morning.

I have my EyePhone settings set to drop in to Night Shift (blue light filter) automatically between 10 pm and 7 am.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, petitepedal said:

It gets worse as we age...all kinds of triggers...stress, food, drink...so many triggers....try and figure out at least a couple of triggers...and reduce them...  it can help...but I am not sure it takes it away...One of these days soon (I am Due) I too will post about my sleepless night!!

I see this with my wife, she has more sleepless nights now than I ever remember. Work stress usually.

I tend to fall asleep easily but will often wake up in the middle of the night and have difficulty falling back asleep.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That may be right!  Most babies I know don't actually make it through the night and wake up fussy some time in the middle of the night.

He seems to be fussy whenever he's awake.

It is either colic or poopy diap.....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I’m breaking the old people rule of not drinking coffee with caffeine in the evening. I just made a fresh pot. I’m going to be out late tonight and was at the gym at 5:30 am. We’ll see how well I sleep tonight.

Slept like a rock all night. I think tiredness overpowered the caffeine. 

• Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Hot chick with a great attitude calling you 'master' all the time while wearing skimpy clothing?  You are damn right he is an idiot, you don't have to be Parr8 to know you should hit that!

Not only that, prohibiting the magic!  What a moran!  I guess it was the man bites dog thing they were going for though :D

• Heart 1