Why do people wear clothes?

Square Wheels

5 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Are you looking for a serious answer? Much is obvious.  Or are you looking to get up some entertaining answers?

Both.  We all know what hides underneath others clothing.  My home, car and place of work are all temperature controlled.  I refuse to dress up for work.  I stopped wearing a tie about 10 years ago.  I have never worn a dress jacket.

27 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Both.  We all know what hides underneath others clothing.  My home, car and place of work are all temperature controlled.  I refuse to dress up for work.  I stopped wearing a tie about 10 years ago.  I have never worn a dress jacket.

True, but I also know what lies in public sewers. But have no desire to see it... ?

Personally, the older I get the more I enjoy dressing up. I have at least 20 sport coats and lots of ties.

• Heart 2

43 minutes ago, Indy said:

In the winter it gets cold, and in the summer, some sun protection is good as to much could kill you.

Pretty much to protect us from the elements would seem the logical reason for why folks bundled up in pre-history, especially as they moved into colder or more variable climates.

I do wonder if anyone worried too much about sun exposure until fairly recent times? I'd bet a base level of skin tanning was already in place - either genetically or through regular sun exposure since birth - and folks would die well before skin cancer did them in usually (and wouldn't know to connect the dots anyway).  A fear of a sun burn might not be as likely back then or maybe it was a huge worry?

Just now, 12string said:

Spend any time on a Jersey beach and you can get used to barely clothed "ugliness".  Big deal, who cares, you're almost there, why bother wearing anything?  But yeah, all the other reasons...... 

It definitely isn't limited to Jersey!!!