Hospital or surgical center

Airehead

33 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

What time do you want me there? I like vending machine food so I'm ok with whatever you decide. 

Cheese wants to give you a sponge bath, I fear, in exchange for the grape pie that Kirby will never give.  It is like she hates us all sometimes.

It is a fair trade.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I would probably opt for the hospital, but actually I would have no choice if I had it done at home. Plus, I have been home the same day after surgery in our hospital.  Reading the opinions of others, I can see the benefit of surgery centers, but have never had that as an option.

• Heart 1

Depends on which one has the hotter nurses.

Seriously, I find the staff at surgical centers to be more "seasoned".  The jobs are harder to get.  They are typically M-F with no call or weekends.  Those are the coveted nursing jobs, and you have to have some seniority to get them.  Newer nurses that still have to pay their dues work at hospitals.  For this reason alone I always would choose the surgical center. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

Depends on which one has the hotter nurses.

Seriously, I find the staff at surgical centers to be more "seasoned".  The jobs are harder to get.  They are typically M-F with no call or weekends.  Those are the coveted nursing jobs, and you have to have some seniority to get them.  Newer nurses that still have to pay their dues work at hospitals.  For this reason alone I always would choose the surgical center. 

Confused, for the 'hot' or 'seasoned' nurses?

• Haha 3

I've spent more than enough time with Fin at hospitals, so surgical center.

Of course the surgical center we've used the most is in the hospital, so now I am confused.  Yeah, the hospital we use is really confusing, they have a surgical center across the road for out patient, but the pediatric outpatient surgical center is in the hospital.  The entire place confuses me no matter how much time I've spent up there.

• Haha 1

The only surgery center we have locally was built by Jim Winner (the inventor of “The Club”). It’s out in the boonies making it difficult if things go wrong to get the patient to a hospital. It looks like a nice place, nice landscaping and modern building. I haven’t heard anything good or bad about it. I pass it on my way to the lake to kayak.

I've had some mixed feelings about surgical centers and the manner in which they bill my insurance for their profit.  I feel more like I'm dealing with a used car salesman when I go to a surgical center.

This is not to say that Hospitals aren't robbing me but they are up front about it with $10 asprin.  They don't attempt to charge $2500 for a "surgical appliance" that I purchased a second  of on Amazon for $15.

If the surgical center has the surgeon's hand-picked team that works well with him, that would be a plus.  If it wasn't a one-day deal, the hospital would be my preference.

Both my shoulders and my sinus were operated on in surgical centers under anesthesia and I felt as assured there as I did with the cervical vertibrae and Achilles tendon surgeries I had in hospitals - the cervical vertibrae operation to relieve a pinched nerve required that I stay in the hospital a week to insure there were no problems in that sensitive area.

I've never had surgery in either, so I'm probably just guessing.  But I would try to go to the place that I think does the "most" of this type of procedure.  If it were a more cutting edge surgery and a major city hospital had more experience, I'd go there.  My Dad went to Columbia for heart surgery and Special Surgery for hip surgery. But for a more routine surgery that the is a focus of the surgery center , I might think that is preferable.  I'd probably ask my GP what she'd recommend for her family and try to make sure whichever I chose has a lot of experience with the procedure.

• Heart 1