Kind thoughts for Duke will be appreciated.

sheep_herder

30 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

He has been having problems with his left eye, which was first diagnosed as 'dry eye', and thus we have been administering drops several times a day. We noticed more 'gunk' in his eye over the weekend, and took him for his scheduled appointment on Tuesday morning.  The vet decided it was best to sedate him and really check for injury or other damage to his eye that might not be detected during the usual checkup. She was also going to administer a shot above the eye that would allow about a weeks worth of medicine to flow across his eye.  During the checkup, she found that an ulcerated area on his cornea had given way, and there was only one layer left before the eye would have been destroyed.  She performed surgery on the eye, repairing the cornea, and sewing an inner flap over the eye. He is home with a protective plastic collar that he must wear for a month (which he hates and tries to drag it off in the driveway) while things heal.  He will be getting weekly checkups, and his sutures will be removed in a month.  During this time he will not be able to play with the other dogs, and his outside time will have to be reduced to a minimum. We pray he retains his sight in this eye and does not have further problems with his right eye. Thanks for caring.

We LOVE Duke and are hoping for a quick and full recovery.

My pup had a similar scare last year, where her eye got scratched and her tear duct (lacrimal gland) stopped producing tears completely.  It was a chicken/egg situation where we don't know if the scratched eye caused the dry eye or the dry eye caused her to scratch her eye.  Anyway, first we had to heal the eye with antibiotics and some gel applied directly to her eye.  Then, once the eye was healed, we had to get the tears flowing again - which the vet said was unlikely.  Our first medication did nothing after a month of direct eye applications.  Eventually resigned to forever giving her wetting drops throughout the day, we got the vet to try the "not likely to succeed" medicine.  We did - it was just drops in her food(!) so super easy - and about one month in, she was back to full tears! 

We avoided the surgery and the eye removal options - just barely.  But a few months of handwringing and worry led to success.  Hoping for similar luck to you and Duke!

• Heart 1

My sister has an older dog, Mylo, who is virtually blind.  She has a young pug-beagle mix, Thomas, who is extremely hyper and barks if he sees, though the picture window, someone walking half a block away.

Mylo has to take his cue from Thomas visually, so when Thomas begins barking, Mylo does too.  Mylo also will glimpse his shadow out of the corner of his eye, think it's something sneaking up on him, and begin barking. When Mylo begins barking, Thomas does so, too.  I think each one doesn't want the humans to think the other dog is being more vigilant than him.

Meanwhile, Squeeky the Cat just stares at them as if to say, "What the f is the purpose of this needless disruption?"

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe snap a photo of Duke and his cone of shame (if a photo won't disturb him).  We love Duke photos!

My wife wants to take a photo and said I should share it on the forum.  I hate to since he is so embarrassed over the entire situation, but maybe.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I hate to since he is so embarrassed over the entire situation, but maybe.

THAT'S why it's called the cone of shame.  When Rudy had his there was snow on the ground.  It made a great snow scraper.  He run across the lawn filling the cone and then would try to eat all the snow he accumulated.  He loved it - we hated it.

Best wishes for Duke

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

My wife wants to take a photo and said I should share it on the forum.  I hate to since he is so embarrassed over the entire situation, but maybe.

But she is not embarrassed that dogs constantly lick their own butts and eat goose poop?

Tell her a pic is fine, we are emotionally invested now!

• Heart 1

So sorry to hear this but Duke is lucky to have people who care about him so much.  Hugs and good thoughts for Duke.  It's particularly hard when pets are sick because you can't explain to them that the things you're doing are for their own good.

I'm sure he's getting spoiled while he recovers, but please add an extra treat from Aunt Kirby!!! 

• Heart 1