I Get Why People Stop Exercising!

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Longjohn,

Man, took a week off riding (and really much exercise at all) for the Thanksgiving holiday break.  Got home Sat night, and went for a ride Sun after lunch.  Wow was is a beotch getting going again.  I had time, so I could have ridden longer, but I was wise enough to listen to my body, and scale back my plans a bit.  Made it home okay, but was wondering how such a short layoff could hurt so bad, and appreciative of how tough it must be for folks after longer lay-offs.  I gotta say, the multi-thousand calorie days didn't help. Or the driving time sitting in a car. Or the sitting around the table or on couches chatting with family. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

I can see why people never start. I think there is a point most people do not want to push themselves beyond. 

I have tried to encourage people to walk. But they make excuses, I walk 50 yards then I get tired. Really! Well if you are that much out of shape, it is going to take walking 50 yards OR LESS at a time till you can go beyond that point. But you have to want to go beyond that point. Walking 30 then giving up is not good. Going 50, then out of your comfort zone 60 next time is the way. But people give up too easy even before they start, IMO.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

43 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

I can see why people never start. I think there is a point most people do not want to push themselves beyond. 

I have tried to encourage people to walk. But they make excuses, I walk 50 yards then I get tired. Really! Well if you are that much out of shape, it is going to take walking 50 yards OR LESS at a time till you can go beyond that point. But you have to want to go beyond that point. Walking 30 then giving up is not good. Going 50, then out of your comfort zone 60 next time is the way. But people give up too easy even before they start, IMO.

Some people are encouraged by having a buddy do same activity with them. However some of these folks sound as if they have been non-walking  for ...over past a decade. :( For instance, I probably need to take class or 2, someone to show me how to do some weight lifting safely.

The thing  with me, I'm abit geospatially challenged, so I needed dearie to show me certain routes and how to join multiple  routes together for a much longer route.Then later I would do on it my own and build up my knowledge, not just by looking at the bike map. Going on a long group rides might have not helped me because I would be worrying, trying to keep up and not paying attention to certain landmarks to memorize the route.

• Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

The thing  with me, I'm abit geospatially challenged, so I needed dearie to show me certain routes and how to join multiple  routes together for a much longer route.Then later I would do on it my own and build up my knowledge, not just by looking at the bike map. Going on a long group rides might have not helped me because I would be worrying, trying to keep up and not paying attention to certain landmarks to memorize the route.

I can understand that! I rode with a group and it took me about 4 rides (once per week) to realize where I was though I was on roads that I pretty much knew already. :lol:

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Wow was is a beotch getting going again

The older you get.... it's more difficult to get going again. 

I used to ride nearly all year.  I'd quit when it got below 30F.  I was worried about black ice on the roads.  That can be very surprising some times when you don't expect it.  Now... I just skip riding in the winter. The older I get... it seems like I don't want to deal with the cold on a ride. 

3 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

I have tried to encourage people to walk. But they make excuses, I walk 50 yards then I get tired.

Yeah.... WoBG and I walk our dogs just about every day all year, 1 1/2 miles is average for most.   Over the years 3 to 5 miles are easy with our dogs, this happens more often in the colder weather.

One of WoBG's friends...  she complains it's too hot in the summer to walk and complains it too cold in the winter to walk.   So... she never walks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

There usually is that one day in the fall when it’s just right. She should walk that day.

I'd bet...   after less than a mile (or even 1/2 mile) she turn around to go home to rest.  :(

A few weeks ago some friends who we know hike on trails wanted to hike with us at a local state park.   WoBG was worried that we would never be able to stay with them on the hike.   I told her.... don't worry... we will be just fine.   I use my Garmin watch for walks / hikes.   We were about 3 miles out from the lodge, and WoBG suggested a trail that would have added 2 more miles out.   The other couple wanted to turn around, and that's what we did.  

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I used to ride nearly all year.  I'd quit when it got below 30F.  I was worried about black ice on the roads.  That can be very surprising some times when you don't expect it.  Now... I just skip riding in the winter. The older I get... it seems like I don't want to deal with the cold on a ride. 

Yeah.... WoBG and I walk our dogs just about every day all year, 1 1/2 miles is average for most.   Over the years 3 to 5 miles are easy with our dogs, this happens more often in the colder weather.

One of WoBG's friends...  she complains it's too hot in the summer to walk and complains it too cold in the winter to walk.   So... she never walks.

It was too cold and dark last night, around 40. I guess it is all relative, because in another month or so 40 will sound pretty darn nice!

13 hours ago, Randomguy said:

How is every day not a mutli-thousand calorie day?  It isn't hard to eat two thousand calories, you know.

Yeah - probably "many" thousand calorie days was more accurate.  Normal is 2,000 to 2,500, so easily just that on my first plate!

10 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Seeing PT.

What does Pete Townshend know that we don't??? Is this guitar related?

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

it seems like I don't want to deal with the cold on a ride. 

The cold is definitely an issue of sorts.  It really wasn't horrible - upper 40s/lower50s, but that is "transition temp" so I was likely overdressed, facing crosswinds, and denser air :D  It "felt" tougher & less pleasant, but looking at the numbers, not a "bad" ride with plenty rides with crummier stats, so a lot was in my head.

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You need a new bike.

Pretty much the universal answer.  Damn things are hard to get these days.

7 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

It was too cold and dark last night, around 40. I guess it is all relative, because in another month or so 40 will sound pretty darn nice!

Yep - it is all relative, I guess.  @denniS is happy to get highs in the 50s in mid-summer :D and here I am complaining it is down to low 50s in November!

My exercise has been limited to clearing out the house lately. Just as well the wind has been awful the last couple weekends. I had planned to walk/ride more at lunch, but that has been when I am talking to realtor/finance people or taking donations to the crisis center or Goodwill, etc. 

My brother and SIL are here this week helping with packing and long some things around the house. They are retired so it allows me to keep working. Making sure they are fed at lunchtime and getting a chance to visit. Maybe next week 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

My exercise has been limited to clearing out the house lately. Just as well the wind has been awful the last couple weekends. I had planned to walk/ride more at lunch, but that has been when I am talking to realtor/finance people or taking donations to the crisis center or Goodwill, etc. 

My brother and SIL are here this week helping with packing and long some things around the house. They are retired so it allows me to keep working. Making sure they are fed at lunchtime and getting a chance to visit. Maybe next week 

You have an "excuse" :)  I gotta think you may have a broader window for near year-round outdoor exercise coming your way.  My big "gaps" in exercise this year were moving related - packing and moving temporarily to CA and then the reverse trip.  On my vacations, I generally still get lots of exercise, but Thanksgiving is always a mess as it is usually as much travel and eating as it is free time to do anything else.  

You'll get your play time back, but moving a home is a PITA!!  And unpacking, too :)

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - probably "many" thousand calorie days was more accurate.  Normal is 2,000 to 2,500, so easily just that on my first plate!

What does Pete Townshend know that we don't??? Is this guitar related?

The cold is definitely an issue of sorts.  It really wasn't horrible - upper 40s/lower50s, but that is "transition temp" so I was likely overdressed, facing crosswinds, and denser air :D  It "felt" tougher & less pleasant, but looking at the numbers, not a "bad" ride with plenty rides with crummier stats, so a lot was in my head.

Pretty much the universal answer.  Damn things are hard to get these days.

Yep - it is all relative, I guess.  @denniS is happy to get highs in the 50s in mid-summer :D and here I am complaining it is down to low 50s in November!

It is way too warm here. We have very little snow. 

Nov. 11, 2020, we were fatbiking and skiing.

Nov. 25, 2021, the view from 8k'. It's not good. 

1114201342.jpg

IMG_20211128_134808136.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, denniS said:

It is way too warm here. We have very little snow. 

Nov. 11, 2020, we were fatbiking and skiing.

Nov. 25, 2021, the view from 8k'. It's not good. 

1114201342.jpg

IMG_20211128_134808136.jpg

Now we are really fucked if climate change has finally caught up with Jackson Hole. :( 

Ruby and I walked tonight and 41 with no wind was perfectly fine. 

• Heart 1

On 11/29/2021 at 7:19 PM, Bikeguy said:

Yes.  I have noticed this from injuries later in life.  A week feels like I have been off for a month.  It's painful.  Honestly, I think the pain part of it is why people stop.  

Very excited that today will likely be no ice on the road.  Cold in the morning but then 50's.  

I certainly understand it.  It takes time.  Tonight is a perfect example.  I am up by 4:10, out the door at 4:20.  Work 5-5.  Will get back to the house in time to change for Emmy's basketball game.  We'll be there until 8:00 and home by 8:30,  fix and eat dinner and hopefully to bed by 10:00.  Not every day is like that, but there are a bunch of days that look just like that.  Hard to fit it all in.  

6 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Very excited that today will likely be no ice on the road. 

That was one reason I didn't like riding the roads in the winter.   Especially where trees shade the road from the sun.  More than a few times I thought the road was wet...  nope... black ice.  I just rode it out until I was on dry pavement again.  

The other thing I hate during a winter ride... is the salt/chemicals they treat the roads with for snow and ice.  A car would drive by and leave me in a cloud of chemical dust.  Not breathing helped for a bit...  eventually I had to breath again...  yeah that stuff is nasty. 

I become a couch potato between 1 hour walks or (even shorter this year) bike rides.

I need to get up and, at least, take a walk in the huge park that begins a block from my house each day if I'm not doing other active stuff.

Of course, I've learned from recent past experience that I have to gradually work my way into it.

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I just lowered my steps goal to 4000 for the winter.  That is a one mile walk through the neighborhood on top of miscellaneous movement. Mowing the lawn accounted for a lot this summer when my goal was 6000.  

Doesn't everyone get at least that many just living?  I mean if you wear your watch all day.  When I wore my watch religiously, I was easily getting 10,000 a day. Although, I am very hyper most of the time.

Ask @Scrapr how I act right before a MTB ride.  HAHA 

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Doesn't everyone get at least that many just living? 

I doubt it.  I can vary from a few thousand to 30,000+ depending upon circumstances.  If I take a walk at lunch, boom 10,000.  If it is raining and the dog won't walk, it is a work day, and I am WFH, boom 1,000-2,000 may sneak in.  I know it has been a shit day when I am super restless at dinner time.  If I'm on vacation, and have a whole day to explore? Easily 20,000.