Lung Failure part 7

BuffJim

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Respiratory conditions are the worst.  Any chance the seasonal aspect is a player?  It is a particularly bad allergy year. 

I was wondering the same. Especially since I am sitting at the gunsmith waiting on an adjustment to my new gun. I am watching my car get covered in cottonwood pollen. 

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I was wondering the same. Especially since I am sitting at the gunsmith waiting on an adjustment to my new gun. I am watching my car get covered in cottonwood pollen. 

And my red truck always has a dusting of yellow (pollen).

Take care Jim. We need our weather reports! :D

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Hugs 1

34 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Possible but I doubt it. I typically would have other symptoms with allergic reactions. Like drippy nose, itchy eyes. 

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

I took Jake for our first two mile walk in June yesterday along a woodsy and pasture lined trail with AccuWeather reporting poor air quality. I have a small particle allergy. I took a generic Zyrtec before going but woke up this AM with a slight sore throat and stuffy nose, that has been going away as I stayed inside all day today.  I think I've got to acclimatize myself to the woods.

• Heart 2

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Update: Pretty Good news. He thinks it’s asthma related. Prescribed a short term run of Prednisone and reinstated the Trelegy. He doesn’t think my worsening symptoms are consistent with Embolism or a worsening of the Pulmonary Fibrosis. He said the Pulmonary Function Test I took 2 weeks ago didn’t show a decline, it was relatively stable. He also encouraged me to be more mindful about holding my inhaled medicine a full 8 seconds. Hope he’s right. 
I go back early October. 

Excellent!  How long will you be on prednisone? 

• Heart 1

On 6/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, BuffJim said:

In the best of times this test makes me exhale so hard I see stars. 

Yep, this. Had my first one on June 29. I almost passed out; got tunnel vision, the works.  Surprised me.

Good luck. Payers for pulmonary stability and healing. 

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

It isn't a "good for you" drug for sure but it sure helps turn the corner on respiratory and sinus inflammations. 

I was on the pred for a month or more. After a period of time I was very irritable. To the point I was throwing my phone when I was frustrated at work. My office mate mentioned it. It will mess you up

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

Probably a 5 day tapered course. It’s not good for blood sugar scores so they are sparing with it. 

I just finished that yesterday.  Methylprednisolone.  For my injured spine.  It helped quite a bit.  Now I am starting Meloxicam to help keep the inflammation down.  

• Heart 1

On 7/12/2022 at 10:52 AM, BuffJim said:

Probably a 5 day tapered course. It’s not good for blood sugar scores so they are sparing with it. 

So, starting peeing every hour or less this afternoon. Checked my blood sugar. One piece of pizza and a cup of chicken corn chowder with celery sticks for lunch. With cherries for my daily fruit. 
At 3 pm it was 454 Eeek

4pm it was 380. A little better but still Eeek. 
6 PM 271. Out of the danger zone, but still high. 

No carbs to speak of tonight. Tomorrow and Friday’s dose is 20 mg per day. It was 30 mg the last two days. Saturday and Sunday 10 mg. Then I’m done. 

But I’m enjoying being able to breathe. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

On 6/20/2022 at 10:19 AM, BuffJim said:

In the best of times this test makes me exhale so hard I see stars. 

When I took that test, I exhaled so hard that I passed out. The technician caught me and pushed me back into the booth. I still failed and use an inhaler twice a day. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/20/2022 at 10:14 AM, BuffJim said:

My lungs have been  declining for past several months. Grrr. Not sure what the cause is. My doctor cut back on my meds in April, but that’s when I noticed the decline. I had enough in reserve for several months, so I went back to the old regime with 3 meds, Trelegy, instead of two, Breo. 
I can still walk 10,000 steps a day, but anything more strenuous is probably a No. 

I have a PFT, pulmonary function test, next week and a Pulmonologist appointment July 12th, so I won’t try to accelerate those unless they get drastically worse. 
I was hoping the 3 years of relative stability I’ve just had would continue. 

Wishing the best for you.  You never know when a new procedure and/or medicine will be developed to help, so hang in there.

My BiL was cured of a similar cancer condition 19 years after Johns Hopkins Hospital accurately informed our family that our mother would be dead in 9 months.  Hopefully progress also occurs with treating your condition.

• Thank You 1