I just had an implant removed today and I'm hurting

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

Sleep well. Have a healthy smoothie for nutrition / soup.

I had a cavity done for a crown last year since the filler was weakening/cracking. I was quite surprised the anaethesia didn't go away for me until 1.5 days later. Not hrs. later. Anyway, I'm very happy with the cavity filler.  I guess I trust my dentist since he's been at it for at least last 15-20 yrs. He also does botox fillers for cosmetic reasons... Still I find the needle injection most noticeable to me compared to when I was an older teen, etc.

16 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sleep well. Have a healthy smoothie for nutrition / soup.

I had a cavity done for a crown last year since the filler was weakening/cracking. I was quite surprised the anaethesia didn't go away for me until 1.5 days later. Not hrs. later. Anyway, I'm very happy with the cavity filler.  I guess I trust my dentist since he's been at it for at least last 15-20 yrs. He also does botox fillers for cosmetic reasons... Still I find the needle injection most noticeable to me compared to when I was an older teen, etc.

No offense by this and I thank you for sharing your experience.  I've never had drugs that lasted 36 hours.  If I did, I could be dead.  :)

Anyway, a deep filling is cream puffs compared to an implant. I have umpteen cavities, several deep fillings that turned into problems and required root canals, and I've got multiple root canals. I've also had failed root canals -- that's what leads to implants.  I have 3 implants and already 2 of them have failed. The pain grows in duration and intensity the farther right you go in my previous sentence(s).

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Further said:

What will take it’s place?

Good question.  It's pretty fascinating but they put this bone growth chemical in the jaw cavity and then seal it up with a membrane over it and then suture it all up.  In four months I will go back to see him and assuming the bone has grown back, I will get a new implant in the exact same place.  Then four months later they will tighten down the screw and top it off with a crown.  For those who don't know, and implant is a titanium screw/rod that is implanted into the bone and crowns top them off.  The worse part?  Very little is covered by insurance and implants + crown cost around $4-5K. And they don't last forever either.  Wear and tear type of thing like a knee or hip replacement.  Most will last 15 or 20 years so it's possible -- if I'm lucky -- that I will need to go through this process once or twice again.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Good question.  It's pretty fascinating but they put this bone growth chemical in the jaw cavity and then seal it up with a membrane over it and then suture it all up.  In four months I will go back to see him and assuming the bone has grown back, I will get a new implant in the exact same place.  Then four months later they will tighten down the screw and top it off with a crown.  For those who don't know, and implant is a titanium screw/rod that is implanted into the bone and crowns top them off.  The worse part?  Very little is covered by insurance and implants + crown cost around $4-5K. And they don't last forever either.  Wear and tear type of thing like a knee or hip replacement.  Most will last 15 or 20 years so it's possible -- if I'm lucky -- that I will need to go through this process once or twice again.

It must be frustrating to have implants..  Do you think it's body chemistry that impacted your natural teeth? Or diet or?  Dearie had lousy teeth... crumbling, etc. However, I have memory of his gentle gracious smiles..

• Heart 1

All the dentists I’ve seen lately are pushing implants. 4 to 15 thousand dollars worth 

I’ve been brushing the hell out of my teeth and using mouth wash a couple times a day.

If I had done this 30 years ago I wouldn’t have a problem now 

• Sad 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

It must be frustrating to have implants..  Do you think it's body chemistry that impacted your natural teeth? Or diet or?  Dearie had lousy teeth... crumbling, etc. However, I have memory of his gentle gracious smiles..

Genetics.  There was a harsh period in college that I did not help my cause but I get cavities under fillings, infections under root canals, etc and two of the 3 implants that failed -- think bone erosion -- were because I was referred to somebody that was experimenting with new procedures.  My mom had horrible teeth and dad not much better.  I do have my health -- pretty solid actually -- but my teeth not so much.

• Hugs 1

Just now, Further said:

All the dentists I’ve seen lately are pushing implants. 4 to 15 thousand dollars worth 

I’ve been brushing the hell out of my teeth and using mouth wash a couple times a day.

Right but don't beat yourself up too much.  A lot of it is genetics.  You tell me how I'm going to prevent a cavity that develops under a cavity?  Or bone eroding underneath an implant or the screw popping through the bone?  I can't.  Also, you could be a meth user and easily lose all your teeth and eat soft foods the rest of your life.  

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Right but don't beat yourself up too much.  A lot of it is genetics.  You tell me how I'm going to prevent a cavity that develops under a cavity?  Or bone eroding underneath an implant or the screw popping through the bone?  I can't.  Also, you could be a meth user and easily lose all your teeth and eat soft foods the rest of your life.  

Mine was neglect

But I’m pretty old so if I can baby them for a few more years they may see me through 

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Further said:

Water flossing also string flossing lightly afterwards before I go to bed, has helped me alot in past 2 yrs. It's noticeable to me ...and to the dental staff. I totally agree, that diligent care is important. I was so negligent until 2 yrs. ago.  My gums bled often back then.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The worse part?  Very little is covered by insurance and implants + crown cost around $4-5K.

This part I understand.    WoBG had 3 implants a long time ago.   Yeah I got to pay the guy a LOT.    

I never knew you can grow new bone and eventually you get a new implant.   :facepalm:

Hope you heal fast....  no infections.... etc... 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Water flossing also string flossing lightly afterwards before I go to bed, has helped me alot in past 2 yrs. It's noticeable to me ...and to the dental staff. I totally agree, that diligent care is important. I was so negligent until 2 yrs. ago.  My gums bled often back then.

Water flossing is invaluable. It doesn’t replace flossing entirely but can really scale it back. 

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Water flossing is invaluable. It doesn’t replace flossing entirely but can really scale it back. 

If I also lightly brush my teeth after the 2-type flossing in evening, and leave abit of toothpaste film in mouth area..it can help heal/protect gums which are trying to heal. Just hygienist tip to me.

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I have 3 implants and already 2 of them have failed. The pain grows in duration and intensity the farther right you go in my previous sentence(s)

When you get the implants removed does that leave you flat chested?

Where was the third implant? :scratchhead:

• Heart 1

I just had an implant. Waiting for a crown.  The extraction was the second worse part. Finding out Dental insurance wouldn’t cover any more than the extraction was worse. They were implanting the tooth next to to the extraction, which has been gone at least 10 years. Pre-existing condition. Probably $4000 so far, with $1500 to go. 
Dottles- hope it goes well. 

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I've now heard of a few people that developed problems with implants that needed to be removed due to infection or just some sort of outright failure.  I think this is not something for me at this age.

Yeah, I think I am too squeamish for those.  Not to even mention cheap. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I am in the middle of a toof implant. My 2nd. First time I asked my guy why not fly down to Costa Rica and get a vacation out of it. He says he was from Costa Rica. I guess @Dottles experience is one reason not to. I have not heard of an implant failing. Hope you are feeling better this morning 

• Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have heard many horror stories about implants from people I know including irreparable damage to the jawbone and inability to switch to dentures once you start replacing teeth with implants.

I like my dentures.

I would certainly consider that route more than implants. The less effing around the better. My dad had a partial denture. As dar as I know my mom has neither. 

28 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well I called him and he told me to take my pain meds and double down on Tylenol. That helped immensely and was able to get some sleep. It’s still barking loudly though. Thank you for checking in. 

Hopefully tomorrow is better

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yeah, I think I am too squeamish for those.  Not to even mention cheap. 

Well that’s the thing. It’s your body so find the best periodontist and buck up and pay. Had I seen this guy first, I would not be paying for the second one — not to mention time missed from work, the gas, and the headache of going through it twice. Pun intended. In other words, don’t go shopping for the best price, go shopping for the best periodontist. In the long run, you’ll save money and be happier 

On 7/15/2022 at 8:18 PM, Further said:

I think my dentist charged my sister around $2000 a few years ago.

My pension provided insurance pays 50% for implants but my max. annual benefit is only $1500.

I'm leaning toward implants when it comes the time I need them.  I've got 5 crowns plus a 6 crown over a root canal, so I don't expect all my teeth to hold out for the couple decades or more I hope to be living.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I think my dentist charged my sister around $2000 a few years ago.

My pension provided insurance pays 50% for implants but my max. annual benefit is only $1500.

I'm leaning toward implants when it comes the time I need them.  I've got 5 crowns plus a 6 crown over a root canal, so I don't expect all my teeth to hold out for the couple decades or more I hope to be living.

My thoughts is you’re going down the right path. I have very good opinions of implants. They are costly but it’s your body parts you’re replacing and it makes more sense to me to pay for that than a trip to the Caribbean for example. If you’re interested, my advice is to find a top periodontist and pay him/her. You’ll have greater success, less hassle, less pain, less inconvenience and it will cost you less in the long run. Good luck Mick.