That’s a lot of money

Parsnip Totin Jack

We are having 7 windows replaced at the end of this month. $12,000

All double-hung windows.  2 really small windows and none are large.

I broke a pane of glass in a triple pane 3' by 4' sash.  I had the glass guy out yesterday - over $1,700 just to replace the glass.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Yeah, we're gonna have to replace some windows at some point. At least the south & west facing one. Double glazed, only the bottom one opens (and tilts in for cleaning), 8 windows. Maybe the 6 east facing ones, too.

Besides hail storms and tornados (possible where you are), we know a fire is a good option too.

Have you spoken with Jake about your insurance needs?

commercial-feature.png?10000

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Estimated cost to replace our roof, gutters, and siding: $50,000. The quote may include replacing a few windows too. We should receive the breakdown quote next week. That will give us an idea of what we can afford to do. 

It’s like buying a quarter of the house all over again. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

It’s like buying a quarter of the house all over again. 

True,but we have to protect our investment. The house has received little love. The water heater is 20 years old. Heat pump needs replacement but the roof and gutters need immediate attention before winter. New siding would be nice but that can wait.

• Heart 1

Previous house had some non asphalt shingle installed in the early 90s. Our roof always looked great until a couple years ago. All neighbors had replaced shingles at least once during that time. Most twice. 
A strong windstorm blew shingle fragments off. I figured it was going to be OOP. I talked to a roofer. He was the one that told me about our particular shingle. Said they would wear like iron until they didn’t. He said to place an insurance claim. He would stand behind us. It worked. They said our claim history was substantially lower than others in the neighborhood so we were likely due for a roof. They sent out the adjuster. He rubber stamped it. I forget the terminology, but they pro-rated the payment, then once the work was done and we were invoiced, they paid the rest. Their way of making sure I didn’t pocket the money. Weird but we got a roof for only our deductible. 

14 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Estimated cost to replace our roof, gutters, and siding: $50,000. The quote may include replacing a few windows too. We should receive the breakdown quote next week. That will give us an idea of what we can afford to do. 

I would never want to go through the loss of mementos and the stress of resulting from a severe house fire again.

But I had so many things that needed repair, upgrades, and installation of stuff I never had from central air to Hunter ceiling fans in every room that the house fire proved to be a tremendous financial boon to me simply in terms of what I ended up with in the rebuilt house.  State Farm paying for 16 months of luxury apartment rent and the cash compensation for losses inside the house were icing on the cake.

My doctor said maybe he should set his house on fire.

I wouldn't recommend it, but....

How many estimates did you get? While I did separately. Recent roof on 2000 (heated) sq ft home, 4 quotes ranged from $16,000 to $21,000, and Lowes contractor eliminated self - late for appointment and reliance on satellite measurement failed with my trees blocking. Old school measurement like the others but never got back with quote. Windows, 9 double hung horizontal sliders hurricane/intruder dual pane with lifetime breakage warranty, ranged from $8,000 to $12,000. All quote companies had to meet my business requirements - no door to door pitchers, and National/Regionals chains such as Window World with high marketing budget but no showroom were eliminated. Roof - actually the low bid, recommended by Realtor I take photos for, as her go to roofer with clients sellin their home, then I walked into their office for shingle samples to submit to HOA and was impressed by their facility, support staff, and pending jobs on wall calendar. For windows went mid estimate, but a well established local business ( F&S = Father & Son) and even the permit inspector remarked, “you spent a lot going with a premium company”.

@Tizeye we had two companies come out. The big dog in the area, who is preparing the quote. Started with roof, gutters, and siding. Wo7 started adding windows (1 kitchen 2 bedroom). Then she changed the front siding to wood shingles. That could be where the overrun is coming from. The other company never followed up after the appointment. I have a third contractor coming on Monday. They did the house across the street in the spring and I watched them work. I was impressed with what I saw.