Does This Bother You?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Square Wheels,

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

minor.

MINOR?!?!!?? ARE YOU NUTS?!?!?!?

:frantics:

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I have my front QR in line with the fork or facing backwards, making it harder for something to snag the QR lever accidentally, at least that is how I feel. 

CORRECT!

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Over a 100 mile race, that adds up.  I lost a stage in the TdF a few years ago because of this.  I was putting down about 400 watts the whole time and didn't know what. I was only going 27mph on the flats.

Streamlining matters, but a wrongly placed QR can be defeated with as little as a 1/16 inch of seat post lowering.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Streamlining matters, but a wrongly placed QR can be defeated with as little as a 1/16 inch of seat post lowering.

I bet he wears a flappy jersey, too.

Keep in mind, while a fan blows air across you to keep you cool, it has no aerodynamic implications.  He's fine in his Walter Mitty TdF fantasy.

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Over a 100 mile race, that adds up.  I lost a stage in the TdF a few years ago because of this.  I was putting down about 400 watts the whole time and didn't know why I was only going 27mph on the flats.

Happens to the best of us.  Don't be too hard on yourself.

TBH a little bit….  

I never gave it much thought early in my riding days.  While in Holland in 1982 my family bought me a sweet bike.  The old grizzled Dutch shop guy fit me and taught me as much as he could in the couple of hours or so we were in the shop.  One of the things was to protect your QR skewers so they can’t get snagged or intentionally released by another racers foot in a race.  He then showed me how quickly it could be done with his foot!?!?

From that day on my skewers were aligned with the fork & chain stay.  But… WOChrisL doesn’t have the strength I do so I leave hers out like that so she can get more leverage on the skewer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

That’s not a QR, that is a thru-axle. Doesn’t matter to me which way it’s pointing. You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

I had A through axle that had a lever on it.  Loved it.  But if you pulled the handle out, you could twist it to any position you like.  As noted earlier, they were aligned with the fork & chainstay.  

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

With the thru axle QR, you are at the mercy of how the threads were cut, and the luck of you putting it in.  Over time, the threads will wear a little and what was perfectly horizontal, no longer will be.

Here is my current front wheel, it's in the direction I'd like it.

bike.jpg

Hmmm.  When you blow up the pic real big did you notice that hairline crack?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Hmmm.  When you blow up the pic real big did you notice that hairline crack?

This?  When I saw it in the pic, I thought, crap, how did that happen?  I took the front wheel off once to show a neighbor how light it was, but other than that, it has not been removed. 

As I said, when I looked at it again, the paint is in perfect shape.

image.png

22 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

This?  When I saw it in the pic, I thought, crap, how did that happen?  I took the front wheel off once to show a neighbor how light it was, but other than that, it has not been removed. 

As I said, when I looked at it again, the paint is in perfect shape.

image.png

I assumed that was a joke, like the seat is too low/high joke… is it lighting/shadows or actually something scratched the paint? 

You mentioned you were happy with lever placement but I’m wondering if your TA handle will rotate like mine did.  I just pulled the lever straight out and then could twist it to any position I liked. 

27 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Learn something new every day!

Thanks, mine does that too.

My LBS friend showed me as I was all butt hurt about the placement of the lever.  I’m all, can we adjust the threads inside the fork or chainstay??? She looked at me funny & in a second or two had it where I wanted it…

Ohhhh…. 😂

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Had my quick release levers replaced....otherwise bike thieves will get bike.  He almost did, by disengaging my front wheel before I ran towards the thief and confronted him.

I agree  --I wish I could leave on the levers.

You can get anti theft skewers with a removeable lever.

https://www.amazon.com/Evo-Anti-Theft-3-Piece-Bicycle-Skewers/dp/B00PDHT8P8

19 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I don't know.... My Peloton doesn't have those. 

Double check the rear wheel.  If you find the rear wheel, you will find the QR.  I guarantee it.  You are correct that they do not put one on the front wheel.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

With the thru axle QR, you are at the mercy of how the threads were cut, and the luck of you putting it in.  Over time, the threads will wear a little and what was perfectly horizontal, no longer will be.

Here is my current front wheel, it's in the direction I'd like it.

bike.jpg

Thru axle levers are often on spring loaded splines. You just pull outward on the lever once you have it tightened to disengage it from the spines and rotate to the desired position.

On the Lynskey GR300 Facebook group people were always whining about the Lynskey thru axle quick release not staying tight. They all replaced them with Robert Axle Project Axles. They did so much whining that Lynskey now uses Robert Project Axles on their builds. I have never had a wheel come loose even slightly and I like not having to carry another tool.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I have never had a wheel come loose even slightly

After I got home from a ride many years ago, I noticed my rear wheel was seated in the dropouts for hooking a pannier to the rack. I’d ridden 12 miles, including the last mile downhill at about 30 mph. :mellow:The 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

On the Lynskey GR300 Facebook group people were always whining about the Lynskey thru axle quick release not staying tight. They all replaced them with Robert Axle Project Axles. They did so much whining that Lynskey now uses Robert Project Axles on their builds. I have never had a wheel come loose even slightly and I like not having to carry another tool.

The QR on my Casseroll used to come loose. It has a sliding dropout. I switched to Shimano QRs and that solved the problem.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

After I got home from a ride many years ago, I noticed my rear wheel was seated in the dropouts for hooking a pannier to the rack. I’d ridden 12 miles, including the last mile downhill at about 30 mph. :mellow:The 

I have mentioned before that WOChrisL just struggles with mechanical things.  QR skewers give her trouble.  Anyway on one of our Thursday night rides we all had to meet at the trail head separately,  I couldn’t come home first.  I was running late so my friend & WOChrisL were kitted up waiting for me as I got ready & we rode.

After the ride I went to put her bike in her car and her front QR was open already… Did you open the QR just now?  No, why?  Uh just wondering…. We rode roughly 25 miles, I have no clue how she didn’t notice the loose wheel but I’m guessing the lawyer tabs held the wheel on. 

I do all of the service & maintenance on her bike but make sure to check everything if she’s meeting me somewhere to ride.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The TA’s come loose on my Ritchey as well.  I notice the brakes will rub on the rotor if climbing out of the saddle.  Quick tightening of the TA & it stops.