Do noise cancellation headphones make you feel nauseous?

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by Further,

:dontknow: mr gave me a set of Sony fancy pants adaptive noise canceling headphones. I’ve been using a set of meh headphones for years, so these are an upgrade. But I feel dizzy. I hope my inner ear adjusts. Lots of headlines about this experience. What’s yours?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

They don't bother me at all, but even when turned off, they're pretty good at keeping outside noises out.  

I’m hoping they work this magic on our overnight flight to Scotland. 

• Heart 1

Just now, MoseySusan said:

I’m hoping they work this magic on our overnight flight to Scotland. 

My wife does traditional ear plugs on flights.  I like to tune to some in flight show/movie and drift off to that. Or wear my AirPods and play some music on low.  I stopped bringing my headphones on trips.

• Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

:dontknow: mr gave me a set of Sony fancy pants adaptive noise canceling headphones. I’ve been using a set of meh headphones for years, so these are an upgrade. But I feel dizzy. I hope my inner ear adjusts. Lots of headlines about this experience. What’s yours?

I am fine with noise canceling headphones, no problems.  Can you just run them in non-noise canceling mode?

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

mr has AirPods, but I’m not comfortable with plugs or pods in my ears. :dontknow: It’s going to have to be over ear noise cancellation. 

One thing I will say is that while the Sony are nice, so are the Apple ones or the Bose ones. And folks might have different reactions to each? And they may fit differently?  So maybe pop by an Apple Store and/or Best Buy and try the others out too. Maybe 1) they fit better, and 2) their noise cancelling makes you feel different.

With electronics, there is often a 30 day return option, so if you aren't going to love the Sony pair, then it is best to return and try another now.

• Thank You 1

Interesting, I didn't know that was a thing.

I've had issues with Labyrythitis, Twisties, tinnitus, all kinds of ear weirdness.

But my noise cancelling headphones don't bother me at all.  People who come to my desk while I'm wearing them because I need to focus on something and expect me to just tear them off and listen - they bother me

My boss gave his team noise cancelling headphone w/microphone for christmas before COVID work at home.  I used them once during a meeting.  I couldn't hear myself talk so I couldn't manage my volume.  Everyone around me complained afterwards that I was too loud.   Even though they were nice headphones, I only used them once.  

I’ve been adjusting the sound quality and listening to various things. And I learned that it’s called active noise cancellation, not adaptive, because the headphones have little microphones that listen to ambient noise and then create the opposite sounds to cancel those in the surroundings. Wow. I also learned that Sony has made it possible to track my location while I’m carrying them. And they’re Alexa enabled, so Amazon also knows my every move. As if they didn’t before. Interesting that the joy of privacy while listening isn’t really private at all. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I also learned that Sony has made it possible to track my location while I’m carrying them. And they’re Alexa enabled, so Amazon also knows my every move. As if they didn’t before. Interesting that the joy of privacy while listening isn’t really private at all. 

I think the tracking is so when some nutter is out there wandering oblivious to the world walks off a cliff, they know where to find them.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I think the tracking is so when some nutter is out there wandering oblivious to the world walks off a cliff, they know where to find them.

Filed in the we are more safe now than ever in history idea file. 

I really only use them for lawn mowing. They are TOO quiet for wearing in the house. Can’t even hear your own footsteps. But it is incredible how much noise is in a car traveling at turnpike speeds. I only wore them once or twice for that though. 

Actually I went the other direction with some bone conduction ones that I plan to try for dog walking. Haven’t opened the box yet though. 

I remember the headphones in my FiL’s airplane kept the engine noise low and allowed us to talk with each other. But I don’t remember feeling dizzy or nauseous, no more than usual in a single-engine 4-seat plane. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I remember the headphones in my FiL’s airplane kept the engine noise low and allowed us to talk with each other. But I don’t remember feeling dizzy or nauseous, no more than usual in a single-engine 4-seat plane. 

They have the same effect on my wife.  She started wearing them while reading in the evening and the sensation gradually went away.  My bosses wife started flying lessons and had the same issue with ANR headsets.  She opted to give up on flying rather than giving up the headsets.  

I have some Shokz bone induction units I like them a lot when walking and running so I’m still aware of my surroundings. 
I’ve used the wired earbuds that came with my iPhones and they never stay in my ears that well. I have some with an over-the-ear hook. They stayed in better but too much noise isolation for safe running. 
We sold Bose noise canceling at my old store. It was quite effective when I tested a pair. If I had stayed there I must have bought a pair for mowing the lawn. I could see them being a nice option to tune out the street and house noises when I want to listen to music.