How do I remove my self-adhesive paper towel holder?

Randomguy

It is was in a spot I don't like (the gf put it there), and I thought I could kinda yank it off.  That didn't work, and it snapped off, leaving about 4 inches or so of metal sticking down.

How do I get it off?  It is hanging under a cabinet with a very thin shelf above it.

Any ideas?

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

That's what she said.

Seriously though, goo gone, wd-40, acetone will remove the adhesive. Try prying it off w/ a screwdriver or such.

This will be a problem, the more I think about it, at least I think so.  If I spray anything, I think it just soaks into the non-slick and absorbent particle board.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This will be a problem, the more I think about it, at least I think so.  If I spray anything, I think it just soaks into the non-slick and absorbent particle board.

Try using gorilla tape. Press the tape onto the adhesive, then pull off slowly at an acute angle.  Gorilla tape will remove gorilla tape residue :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Further said:

Heat, heat gun or hair dryer.

His chick is gone, so his hair dryer is gone :(

But, year, heat (hair dryer or heat gun) is great for softening up adhesives.  I removed the decals on my bike wheels when I replaced the rear Zipp with a new non-decaled wheel so the front Zipp stickers looked out of place.  Hair dryer, a razor blade, and a little patience. 

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

hair dryer is gone

This.  

I put the electric kettle underneath it to warm it up, and that worked a bit.  Not enough, though, that thing has a deathgrip.

You can see where the shelf is cracking after I tried to torque it off.

IMG_0125.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This.  

I put the electric kettle underneath it to warm it up, and that worked a bit.  Not enough, though, that thing has a deathgrip.

You can see where the shelf is cracking after I tried to torque it off.

IMG_0125.jpeg

Did you take the screws out?

10 hours ago, jsharr said:

Move

I was betting on the putty knife. 

Apparently that is not in RG's stash of tools.  Kind of like not owning a bucket. :dontknow:

So moving may be the only option. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bikeguy said:

I was betting on the putty knife. 

Apparently that is not in RG's stash of tools.  Kind of like not owning a bucket. :dontknow:

So moving may be the only option. 

I am not sure RG even has a bucket list.

• Sad 1

Try microwaving a heating pad/gel and holding it up where it's attached. Use a putty knife to wiggle it a little if it feels loose at all. Repeat. 

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Kirby said:

Try microwaving a heating pad/gel and holding it up where it's attached. Use a putty knife to wiggle it a little if it feels loose at all. Repeat. 

Even when I steamed the crap out of it, there was no give in the adhesive at all.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am not sure RG even has a bucket list.

I don't own a bucket, that takes up space.  Have you never been to the big city?

I use the plastic container from my dishwasher pods as my bucket when necessary.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I don't own a bucket, that takes up space.  Have you never been to the big city?

I use the plastic container from my dishwasher pods as my bucket when necessary.

I say you bake some cookies or make some candy and go down the basement and get the super to come up to your place to remove it.  You might have to let him have his way with you.  Maybe not.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Spray it down with wd40.  Work it slightly wedging a putty knife in there.  Spray wd40 on your knife blade and work that shit in there.  

This is solid advice, but I think you should edit it to say table knife or butter knife.  Not a chance in hell RG has a putty knife.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Randomguy said:

This is true.

I think I will get some sort of saw and just cut it off as close to the base as possible.  

As soon as you do this you will be awoken the next night around 3 AM to the sound of that plate falling off the bottom of the cabinet by itself. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is true.

I think I will get some sort of saw and just cut it off as close to the base as possible.  

any self respecting man should own a sawzall.  That is what I was going to suggest first but I knew you were not a self respecting man.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

any self respecting man should own a sawzall.  That is what I was going to suggest first but I knew you were not a self respecting man.

Once you show him that he can replace the blade with something entirely different, he will rush out and buy one.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update time.

The little metal saw I bought for $12 was too namby-pamby and didn't saw for crap, unless you count the paint on the aluminum, it took the paint off a little.  To be fair, the angles were weird, though, and it might have worked if I could have used the saw in an unobstructed manner.

So anyway, I saw the building super just now, and grabbed him to ask what he would do.  He walked over to it and just yanked it and a goodly chunk of the particle board clean off, which I was trying to avoid.  I suppose now I will get some wood glue and try to make it as right as I can.

At least it is off, though, and I also own a small metal saw that I will probably never need again.

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

I just thought of this, but car detailers use dental floss to saw through the adhesive holding badges to the paintwork of cars.  I wonder if this would work here?  Or maybe a thin metal wire and some gloves to protect your hands.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I just thought of this, but car detailers use dental floss to saw through the adhesive holding badges to the paintwork of cars.  I wonder if this would work here?  Or maybe a thin metal wire and some gloves to protect your hands.  

I was just thinking that as I read his post about using a saw.  I think thin metal wire would work there.

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I was just thinking that as I read his post about using a saw.  I think thin metal wire would work there.

Well, the adhesive was massively strong, strong enough to tear a chunk the entire size of the holder out of the cabinet.  Yay.   No dental floss would have held up.  

I didn't expect him to do the thing I could have easily done, which was to fuck it up a bit by pulling it off.

• Hugs 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Well, the adhesive was massively strong, strong enough to tear a chunk the entire size of the holder out of the cabinet.  Yay.   No dental floss would have held up.  

I didn't expect him to do the thing I could have easily done, which was to fuck it up a bit by pulling it off.

they adhesive has a thin foam layer and you are sawing through that.  Go buy another and stick it up and give it a try.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So... like my post (#5) above...  :facepalm:

I still think the putty knife was a good idea.   Now it's too late.  :(

image.png.ce811970a9f5e0c2dc2947f02d4b11e2.png

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

they adhesive has a thin foam layer and you are sawing through that.  Go buy another and stick it up and give it a try.

I was sawing where the tube was affixed to the base, I was intending to leave the base of it up so's to not damage the shelf.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I was sawing where the tube was affixed to the base, I was intending to leave the base of it up so's to not damage the shelf.

This was your first mistake.  You needed to get between the metal plate and the cabinet with something thin.  Dental floss would have worked.  I am one million percent positive on this.  I would even bet your life on it! 

• Haha 1