Square Wheels

Would you pay for a premium membership?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay?

• Nothing - this site needs to remain free
    • $5 a year
    • $10 a year
    • $20 a year
    • Take all my money, I heard you were a Democrat!

This site is on a shared server, and because of that we are stuck with attacks on other sites that will affect us, like yesterday and previous attacks.

I currently have a server with 5 sites allowed so as far as server costs go, this site costs me nothing.  I spend a fair amount in software fees.

I am not complaining, I love this site and will continue to host it until I die.

If I were to move this site to a dedicated VPS, that would cost me another small chunk of change.  At this time I don't have the extra funds to do that.

Would you be willing to pay for a "premium" account?  This could come with some extra features, maybe a special badge in your profile letting others know you help out?  Not sure how much I would propose, maybe $5 or $10 a year?

This will give us our own dedicated server without the risk of others affecting (effecting) us.

Please post your thoughts AND use the poll.  I pinned this for RG.

• Heart 3

How about an adopt a month option? You sponsor a month and you get certain perks. You get to impose your will with themes,  decide what gets pinned, etc. 

You'll make more money this way. 

Bidding for a month starts wherever you want. 

As an example, an Airwickwithcheese month prohibits music posted by DH

How about an adopt a month option? You sponsor a month and you get certain perks. You get to impose your will with themes,  decide what gets pinned, etc. 

That made me smile, but I don't think it would work.  :)

The server costs would be $35+ a month, I suspect no one would bid that much, even to get DH to stop posting that ear-piercing noise.  I like the annual plan myself.

• Heart 1

Says the unemployed denizen.

• Heart 1

You could put me on ignore.

:(

see? I'm really sad to hear you post that RR. I was about to say I'd be willing to pay extra for an automatic RR feed where I'm guaranteed a certain number of posts a day or at least weekly. 

Your posts might be worth paying for, Cheese, but stuff I say isn't worth a dime.  If someone has to wait awhile to read one of my posts, they haven't missed anything.  :mellow:

Square Guy, if additional funds are truly needed, have you considered seeking some limited forms of advertising on the site?

Yes, but that has been bypassed by most.  There have been ads on this site for most of the two years it has operated, and so far no money hass come in from it.  Ad blockers are just the norm now.

I appreciate your point of view and want to remind everyone, that this is 100% optional.  There are no penalties for not becoming a "premium / paying" member.  It would just allow us to move the site to a more stable and faster server.

Yes, but that has been bypassed by most.  There have been ads on this site for most of the two years it has operated, and so far no money hass come in from it.  Ad blockers are just the norm now.

I appreciate your point of view and want to remind everyone, that this is 100% optional.  There are no penalties for not becoming a "premium / paying" member.  It would just allow us to move the site to a more stable and faster server.

Ads appear on my screen here all the time.  Somebody should be paying something for my being brainwashed.  :(

Right now, I am seeing this:

Capture.thumb.JPG.64bdd596f14266da70d700

The current occasional interruptions versus $300 a year?  I vote for the interruptions.  None of the chit-chat that we are doing here is worth spending any more money on than is necessary, IMO.

I tend to agree with RR on this that I really don't have an issue with the interruptions.  I heard there was one yesterday but not an issue for me.  Others in the past I have noticed.  The thing is that as a recreational site for me, if it's not available, I can certainly find some other time waster.

That being said, if you set up a voluntary pay scale in an effort to do a better job of running the site, I would contribute.  I'm not flush with cash like CheeseBoy, but $5, $10, $20 a year....... whatever.

• Heart 1

That being said, if you set up a voluntary pay scale in an effort to do a better job of running the site, I would contribute.  I'm not flush with cash like CheeseBoy, but $5, $10, $20 a year....... whatever.

I get the shakes when there's no SWF.    :(

Say, I'd pay $35 to be King For The Month!  My first edict would be "Thou shalt not bespeak of raisins in brownies."  My second edict would command Inspiration Bot to pull quotes from Monty Python for the month.

So on the serious side, if you go to a movie in a theater you'd pay $10 anyway - rent a movie from the cable company on demand is usually $5 or so.  I figure this place is certainly 'on demand' entertainment with pretty sharp people who make this place enjoyable and interesting.  I for one like seeing the pictures Forumites post about places I will likely never visit.

To continue the thought - would it be possible to set up an arrangement where the site could get a portion of on line purchases?  (I mean, assuming we could trust SW not to skim our credit card info.)

For example, I recently bought several books.  I'm certain to buy more.  If I were to buy those through a link on this site, could that generate some revenue?

I would imagine we all buy stuff on line.  If it could be set up, would people be interested in making a few more mouse clicks to make SW fabulously wealthy a bit of revenue to support a dedicated server?  That way there'd be no 'dues' and we'd be supporting our own Forum addiction.

On the other hand, if it means enduring one of those upgrades to set all this up, then to hell with it.

• Heart 1

Say, I'd pay $35 to be King For The Month!  My first edict would be "Thou shalt not bespeak of raisins in brownies."  My second edict would command Inspiration Bot to pull quotes from Monty Python for the month.

So on the serious side, if you go to a movie in a theater you'd pay $10 anyway - rent a movie from the cable company on demand is usually $5 or so.  I figure this place is certainly 'on demand' entertainment with pretty sharp people who make this place enjoyable and interesting.  I for one like seeing the pictures Forumites post about places I will likely never visit.

To continue the thought - would it be possible to set up an arrangement where the site could get a portion of on line purchases?  (I mean, assuming we could trust SW not to skim our credit card info.)

For example, I recently bought several books.  I'm certain to buy more.  If I were to buy those through a link on this site, could that generate some revenue?

I would imagine we all buy stuff on line.  If it could be set up, would people be interested in making a few more mouse clicks to make SW fabulously wealthy a bit of revenue to support a dedicated server?  That way there'd be no 'dues' and we'd be supporting our on Forum addiction.

On the other hand, if it means enduring one of those upgrades to set all this up, then to hell with it.

Interesting points.

As for the monthly king of content idea, that's a no go.  Too much work / tracking for me.  Plus, if you tell me I can't talk about my raisin fetish I'll be sad.  The goal isn't to make anyone sad.

I believe I can set up to have links to products to make purchases and a tiny (really tiny) percentage would go to this site.  The problem with that is I can't control what gets a link, so if you planned to buy Killing Karma today, it may or may not get a link.  What is guaranteed with those programs is for many words on the page to get a link.  I really don't like when that happens.

I was looking for a simple way to fund a better server.  I was hoping the ads would provide some support, but so far nothing.  Removing ads is definitely one perk paying members would get.

What are you drinking?

Actually, it was an attempt at shameless flattery to anyone who might read it, assume I was speaking of them, merely to put them into an agreeable frame of mind to actively support the suggestions immediately following.

As for the monthly king of content idea, that's a no go.  Too much work / tracking for me. 

You seem to think the operation and maintenance of this site is all about you. :rolleyes:

Plus, if you tell me I can't talk about my raisin fetish I'll be sad. 

I really was trying to be subtle about this to spare your feelings, but I think I may have to be more direct to be understood.  That raisin thing of yours isn't normal in any sense of the word and you really need to get some professional help for that.

:nyanya:

I really was trying to be subtle about this to spare your feelings, but I think I may have to be more direct to be understood.  That raisin thing of yours isn't normal in any sense of the word and you really need to get some professional help for that.

:nyanya:

Have you been talking to my wife?  When we do centuries, I make brownies with nuts and raisins.  She won't eat them.  I can't eat the PB&J at the stops because they have gluten.  So, I don't count on the stops and bring all of my own stuff.  Brownies and packets to add to bottles.  I will have some fruit and use their water, otherwise my brownies have a great mix of sugar, fat, protein and yummieness!

As long as there is a free option so new  freaks, I mean friends come along once in awhile a pay group would work fine.  That way people with a little extra in their life could help with costs but those who have less at this time could still enjoy our company.

As tides change, so will the people who choose to pay.  We don't want anyone getting in trouble with their spouse for paying for imaginary friends.