As we age...

Road Runner

Is this forum just going to become an old folks gathering where we all sit around talking about what hurts and what operations procedures we're having?   :D

FIFY

Last night my wife (42) and I (43) were discussing how many people we know, or know of, who are seriously ill and/or have passed.  A woman at our daughter's old school recently died at 38 leaving three young kids.  Almost the same story and stats for a woman my wife used to teach with.  A former coworker is starting chemo.  Just found out the engineer we're working with on one of my projects is out on medical leave.

I have probably said this before, but many of the advancements of modern medicine seem to have the end result of keeping us all alive long enough to get cancer. Which is more and more often beatable, but still scary.

So as I get older, this isn't going to get any easier, is it? :(

• Heart 1

LOL...My 40th class reunion keeps popping up on my Facebook....Who the heck are these old farts...:whistle:  On the other hand...my skin is so dry...I could be living in Death Valley....  Talked to a resident yesterday at 91 she was complaining about her knees...she was an active member of the Twin Cities Hiking Club (they Dissolved in 2010)...for 35 years...I said after 35 years of hiking..her knees were allowed to hurt..91....I don't see me making that!!!

• Heart 1

<-------The part that weirds me out is even the picture of fitness people start having issues as they get older.  I'm 66 and still working a very physical job but my calendar seems to be filled with doctor's appointments.  I had a dermatologist appointment this week, an eye doctor appointment the week before (not for glasses but medical stuff about optic nerve and retina and drops of blood type stuff} in December I have to see my vascular surgeon and January my oncology appointment.  I think I'm qualified to post in this forum.

• Heart 2

<-------The part that weirds me out is even the picture of fitness people start having issues as they get older.  I'm 66 and still working a very physical job but my calendar seems to be filled with doctor's appointments.  I had a dermatologist appointment this week, an eye doctor appointment the week before (not for glasses but medical stuff about optic nerve and retina and drops of blood type stuff} in December I have to see my vascular surgeon and January my oncology appointment.  I think I'm qualified to post in this forum.

Jack LaLanne is right! 

• Heart 1

Is this forum just going to become an old folks gathering where we all sit around talking about what hurts and what operations we're having?   :D

Oh I do hope so.

Over here it seems that I've alienated half the population by recounting my laundry list of ailments and this morning I was assaulted by a Lady who missed her bus while I was telling her of my back problems......thinking back I shouldn't have held on to her arm. My dear wife would seem to have permanently moved to live in the Potting shed despite my pointing out that Winter was coming as signalled by the worsening of my arthritis. So it seems that I'm on my own now and being almost stone deaf I'm finding it difficult hearing the Postman and catching him for a chat when he calls.....I notice that he's wearing these new-fangled running shoes and it makes him very fast on his feet. People seem to lack the time to have a  chat these days.

• Heart 3

I mentioned to my daughter that when really, really old I intended to move in with her, let my beard grow and become doubly incontinent. She seemed to be unmoved by this news and remarked that at the first sign of a damp cushion she would place me in an old people's home.

I was dashed and disappointed ........I mean the things I've sacrificed for her.

• Heart 3

After watching what my wife has been going though with their grandmother, our kids have asked us numerous times, to purge all of our belongings down to an amount that would fit into one dumpster. So as to make OUR eventual transitioning into a retirement home as easy on as possible, on THEM. :(

• Heart 2

After watching what my wife has been going though with their grandmother, our kids have asked us numerous times, to purge all of our belongings down to an amount that would fit into one dumpster. So as to make OUR eventual transitioning into a retirement home as easy on as possible, on THEM. :(

This is reasonable behavior, very pragmatic.  You should be proud of them.

• Heart 1

Make a great show of working on purging the belongings you know they would be particularly fond of or sentimental about.  Ensure the dumpster that is left is fun stuff that would be awkward for them to see, let alone throw out (like the stuff you keep hidden in that S&M room).  Also mention these things loudly, that you don't want them throwing out (insert whips, chains, and battery powered apparatuses here) because you and their mother have fond memories of them.

• Heart 3

Every time I try to pare down what we have my wife has a fit.  She thinks that the kids might want some of this stuff.  They have their own stuff they don't want ours. She thinks we should have a yard sale or give the stuff to goodwill or something.  I look at what I am trying to throw out and I can't see anyone wanting it.  I give up and put it back in the tote and go have a beer.

• Heart 2